Diablo® III

"Meteor" renamed; now "Pinecone"

What started off as the ultimate Wizard spell now does 180% weapon damage on impact with 20% wd per second for 3 seconds. Sound pathetic and under powered yet? If not, consider that the Arcane Power cost of this spell has never been adjusted ... that's right, still 60AP to drop this Pinecone on the heads of Inferno mobs.

Of course if you think that's bad, check out the Wizards other ultimate damage spell, Blizzard. This whopper does an amazing 42% weapon damage per second for 6 seconds in a static area,
and DOES NOT stack with multiple 45 AP cost casts. It should be renamed "Misty Breeze".

Not sure why Blizz is taking the nerf bazooka to almost ALL of the Wizard's skills, while giving melee classes 30% "off the top" damage reduction, but it looks as though every other classes' skills now do more damage then the wizard's ...

This confuses me because I thought Wizards were supposed to be "glass cannon" characters.
Now apparently they are just "glass windows".
Reply Quote
I'm sorry, can you repeat that? All I heard was 'whine whine whine whine'
Edited by Sykomyke on 3/18/2012 8:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Got any cheese?
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Sykomyke
I'm sorry, can you repeat that? All I heard was 'whine whine whine whine'

Is posting things like this really an entertaining use of your time?

Anyway, to the OP:

Yeah, a lot of our spells are getting nerfed pretty hard. I can't imagine why. Meteor's 60 AP Cost isn't enough I guess. 3 Arcane torrents are much better at this point, but require 3 casts, but you'll still be able to cast then enough to run out of ap eventually and they're a lot easier to aim.

I don't really know what Blizzard is thinking.
Reply Quote
Sigh.

Except, when you add runes to Meteor, it becomes ridiculously awesome.

325% damage with an additional 130% over 3 seconds. Is that enough for you?

Not too many things in the game hit for around 455% weapon damage unassisted by other spells and not channeled. Or how about 420% weapon damage with a 60% snare?

03/18/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Heratli
Yeah, a lot of our spells are getting nerfed pretty hard. I can't imagine why.

I can, it's not hard. They're balancing around content we haven't seen with spells we haven't used.

Relax. It's not nerfing, it's tweaking.
Edited by Scowarr on 3/18/2012 9:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As of patch 15 its 180% impact 60% over 3 seconds, Scowarr. Go look at it in the beta.

Runed it will likely be around 240? impact and maybe 80% or 100% though I doubt it.

It's nerfed, and it costs 60 AP, and it'll be less damage per AP than arcane torrent now.

It IS nerfing, and yes I understand that they're 'tweaking' it for content we haven't seen. The question is why are spells being nerfed by 33%+ since the beta started a long time ago and it's patch 13-15 now. They've been testing for while awhile, if you recall.

Other classes' spells are getting buffed - some by quite a bit, and only just recently. Why?

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but those popularity polls were pretty great weren't they?
Reply Quote
Ok, that's nice.

Have you used meteor? Is it not doing enough damage?

And yes, Blizzard definitely tweaks based on popularity. This thread now has credit.
Reply Quote
Ok, that's nice.

Have you used meteor? Is it not doing enough damage?

And yes, Blizzard definitely tweaks based on popularity. This thread now has credit.

I've seen Blizzard do crazier things based on the opinion of the masses.

I haven't used meteor. But when Arcane Torrent costs a third of it and does 70% over a signature spell and meteor only does 120% (if they take all the ground aoe ticks) one starts to question why one would wish to use Meteor at all. Both can be runed to varying effects and I suppose you can use signatures with some kind of rune or another for AP. AT is easier to aim but hits smaller aoe radius, meteor more difficult to aim. I have no idea.

The point of the thread is why did it take so long to make such a gigantic 'tweak'. Nerfing a spell by 70% + 40% (effectively halving the bonus damage over a signature spell) isn't a minor tweak. It's fairly large.
Reply Quote
Yeah to the OP: Blizzard was buffed, quite significantly actually.

You can chain cast them now, and the AP per damage ratio is much much better now. You can keep Black Ice up with it. There's nothing wrong with what they've done. I'm eager to see the new runes for it.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Ray of frost runned do more damage per arcane power than meteor you should try it
Reply Quote
In patch 14 they lowered the damage on pretty much every skill for every class, my guess is it wasn't a class nerf but an overall game nerf.

They probably changed bonuses from items or something in how much damage you'll need to do to monsters, so they lowered the overall damage of all skills.

Though I agree it seems unbalanced since the chanelled spells just going by tooltips do about the same damage, but far less AP consumption.

Meteors best rune damage is only 234% impact and 78% DoT now, Ray of Frost Runed + Cold Blooded passive can deal around 425-435% damage single target, around 200% AoE, and slows, and can also be setup to cast indefinitely.

I'd say a lot of the skills just need AP cost tweaks.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 01:31 AMPosted by Cmagik
Ray of frost runned do more damage per arcane power than meteor you should try it

Single target.

Sleet Storm puts you literally in melee range. Far riskier to use than meteor. You will get hit using sleet storm.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
03/19/2012 03:56 AMPosted by D3BETA
Though I agree it seems unbalanced since the chanelled spells just going by tooltips do about the same damage, but far less AP consumption.

This makes sense, considering you have to stand still to channel them, whereas with Blizzard and Meteor, you drop and run.

However, Meteor does seem weak relative to Blizzard, especially due to the drawback caused by the delay in damage (they don't do damage immediately).
Reply Quote
I've seen Blizzard do crazier things based on the opinion of the masses.

I haven't used meteor. But when Arcane Torrent costs a third of it and does 70% over a signature spell and meteor only does 120%

I'm sure you have.

Meteor falls under the category of "cast and forget spells". Using it, and consequently balancing it, isn't as simple as something like Arcane Torrent or even Arcane Orb for that matter. You can time things for massive burst with it. Also, in crunch and highly mobile situations it's a much better choice than anything channeled.

03/18/2012 11:17 PMPosted by Heratli
The point of the thread is why did it take so long to make such a gigantic 'tweak'.

No, the point of the thread was to complain and make baseless claims.

Sound pathetic and under powered yet?

that's right, still 60AP to drop this Pinecone on the heads of Inferno mobs.

Of course if you think that's bad, check out the Wizards other ultimate damage spell, Blizzard. This whopper does an amazing 42% weapon damage

It should be renamed "Misty Breeze".

Not sure why Blizz is taking the nerf bazooka to almost ALL of the Wizard's skills, while giving melee classes 30% "off the top" damage reduction, but it looks as though every other classes' skills now do more damage then the wizard's ...

Now apparently they are just "glass windows".

3 Arcane torrents are much better at this point,

I don't really know what Blizzard is thinking.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but those popularity polls were pretty great weren't they?

Also, to answer your question:

It IS nerfing, and yes I understand that they're 'tweaking' it for content we haven't seen. The question is why are spells being nerfed by 33%+ since the beta started a long time ago and it's patch 13-15 now. They've been testing for while awhile, if you recall.

Other classes' spells are getting buffed - some by quite a bit, and only just recently. Why?

Well, you answered it yourself while quoting me. They're tweaking it for content we haven't seen. And, yes, I do recall they've been testing for awhile; I've been in the beta since media invites. If you recall this is Blizzard Entertainment; the guys who tweak and reiterate all the way to the van pulling away with copies of D3 to be shipped.
Reply Quote
As of patch 15 its 180% impact 60% over 3 seconds, Scowarr. Go look at it in the beta.

Runed it will likely be around 240? impact and maybe 80% or 100% though I doubt it.

It's nerfed, and it costs 60 AP, and it'll be less damage per AP than arcane torrent now.

I had a 3 day ban for mentioning this conspiracy so I would watch it. I don't like all the wiz nerfs it seems like it's one of the weaker classes now.

Quick question guys, how much does Meteor Shower do now?
Edited by Sherloc on 3/19/2012 2:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
72% per meteor x7 meteors, over a roughly 10x10 to 10x20 yard area, varies in size and shape.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/19/2012 3:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sch, have you seen what Retribution Paladins have gone through since Vanilla WoW?

Ever since release?

Yes, I have reasons to be skeptical and I have seen Blizzard do some pretty crazy !@#$ based on the QQ of the masses.

Yes, I understand I'm speculating. I'm asking a rhetorical question that no one outside of Blizzard can answer and even then I wouldn't get it until I played Inferno.

That doesn't mean I shouldn't ask the question.

You say meteor is better choice than 'anything' channeled but Arcane Mines are much better in any crunch or mobile situations. They'll do the damage, do it AoE, slow mvmt and atk speeds, etc. Assuming a lot yes, but I'm not the only one with assumptions.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Heratli
Yes, I have reasons to be skeptical and I have seen Blizzard do some pretty crazy !@#$ based on the QQ of the masses

Have you also seen them simply refuse to do something regardless of the QQ of the masses? I have. Correlation != causation; just because people complained about something and a changed happened doesn't mean that was the reason for it.

Yes, I understand I'm speculating. I'm asking a rhetorical question that no one outside of Blizzard can answer and even then I wouldn't get it until I played Inferno.

That doesn't mean I shouldn't ask the question.

You're right! However, there's a difference between being constructive and complaining with wild assumptions.

Assuming a lot yes, but I'm not the only one with assumptions.

That doesn't make them valid or, in this case, useful.

You say meteor is better choice than 'anything' channeled but Arcane Mines are much better in any crunch or mobile situations. They'll do the damage, do it AoE, slow mvmt and atk speeds, etc. Assuming a lot yes, but I'm not the only one with assumptions.

Yes! Exactly. Only, you tried to refute my claim of Meteor > Channeled (in a crunch situation) by comparing Meteor to a non-channeled spell. It's also fairly strange since you don't know how much damage Comet does, you're just assuming. Again.

However! You can place the Arcane Mines and a Meteor and both can slow. Although, Comet has 2x the slowing power. I think I have a mobile Wizard build brewing in my head now...
Reply Quote
Meteor shower looks to be the best version of Meteor. You can use Time Warp and other dmg modifiers to boost the dmg up pretty high per Meteor, double cast it while in time warp and drop a frost nova with the dmg modifier rune, conflagration and glass cannon and arcane dynamo passives to get over 200% per meteor. Could easily boost each meteor strike to near 200% dmg and with 7 meteors you're looking at significant dmg even if only 2 hit per target.
Edited by Sherloc on 3/19/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of what changes Blizzard made and what QQing was happening and every counter argument because it's clear to me that you and I polish two very different rods in our spare times. Just because Blizzard had a reason for a change doesn't make it correct. Of course they're in a better position than I am (in this case) to say what is correct and what is not.

Saying Comet is better than any channeled ability means nothing when we have AP spenders that are better that aren't channeled, or are a rune modification to a channeled ability. Saying it's better is like saying my 50$ is better than your 25$ but you leave out the 100$ that is also in my pocket. It's irrelevant in this case.

It's easy to say I'm complaining because you're reading this over the internet and you have no idea what kind of personality I have. I assure you I'm trying to understand the reasons for the change in the best way possible. You on the other hand are being fairly hostile and making claims without trying to support yourself with numbers or reasons. It's fairly unfortunate.

Enjoy your evening, I'm quite finished with this thread.
Edited by Heratli on 3/19/2012 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]