Diablo® III

Disintegrate vs Arcane Torrent

85 Gnome Mage
Hi, I'm currently look at Disintegrate and its damage is lower than Arcane Torrent while, on top of that, only hit 1 target.
What's the point of this spell ? Shouldn't it be something that wreck single target ? Arcane Torrent do more and is a splash spell.

Did I miss something ?
Reply Quote
Yes you did. Although AT is aoe, Disintegrate hits everything in a direct line to the edge of the screen passing through targets. If you rune Disintegrate with volatility you can cause 1/3 of the deaths to cause an explosion doing massive aoe.
Edited by Sherloc on 3/19/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you use Entropy you get a shorter range cone, with a spread, think outwards -<| , they're similar types of skills Channelling skills, but different applications, customization in D3, means you can choose which direction you want to attack mosnters from as well.

Behind, in front, above, straight through, over, in the opposite direction, thats about the only difference for some of them.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Sherloc
Disintegrate hits everything in a direct line to the edge of the screen passing through targets
Reply Quote
Our single target channel is Ray of Frost. (cold)

Line 'aoe' is Disintegrate (arcane).

Small circle aoe Arcane Torrent (arcane)

large circle aoes traveling/instant Arcane Orb (arcane) and delayed meteor (fire)

Runes changes all of this, but without runes they're all a little bit different, which makes it exciting.
Reply Quote
Disintegrate is a line AoE skill which has a damage width which is almost equal to the damage diameter of AT.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 11:59 PMPosted by IsaacHawke
Disintegrate is a line AoE skill which has a damage width which is almost equal to the damage diameter of AT.

Not really =x.
Reply Quote
The real question is do beam spells crit since Arcane torrent dose! if they don't AT will be superior!
Reply Quote
Having played the beta I was looking much forward to try out AT, but I frankly got a bit disappointed when I finally got to try it out.

The damage did not feel superior to e.g. AO and it chewed through my arcane power (mana...) pretty quickly. More importantly the execution felt really cumbersome. There is a (somewhat) large delay before any missiles hit the target. It just didn't feel very efficient. Looks cool though :-)

Disclaimer: Yeah, so this is beta. Stuff changes and all, so it may change before release. These are just my personal observations.
Reply Quote
Disin. will usually hit more targets than AT. Disin. shoots out in a line, and penetrates 100% of the time, dealing full damage to all enemies in a line. Based on the beta alone, when it was usable, this often meant hitting several targets. AT on the other hand hops over enemies to your desired target, then has a small AoE of damage (I would say half that of an un-runed Orb--5m).

Here are some pros/cons of each. AT can jump up/down walls. This doesnt seem big, but most other spells you can only fire up or down levels if it can path along a staircase; AT you can be standing on a ledge, and fire away while mobs have to find a staircase to get to you. Disin. has a longer range than AT. AT can be cast to a maximum of around 50-75% of the screen; Disin goes to the end of the screen. The benefit is obvious for a squishy wizard. Also, Disin. is basically an instant first tick of damage, AT you need to wait a second or so for that first tick to hit. Its not a huge advanatage, but Im sure it will matter eventually.
Reply Quote
Arcane Torrent can't be compared to orb, since they are fundamentally different types of builds/skills.

If you want to make the most of Arcane Torrent in the beta you'd have to find a .9 APS high DPS weapon, and use it focused fire on a single target like SK, that's about the only thing you'd find a use for it, orb has more uses in the beta, because torrent requires items, mods, and other htings not in the beta.

I'm really looking forward to trying Death Blossom with a 0 AP cost/regen build, 670% weapon damage now?!
Edited by D3BETA on 3/20/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
03/20/2012 06:46 AMPosted by Silent
The real question is do beam spells crit since Arcane torrent dose! if they don't AT will be superior!

All spells that do damage can crit, channeled, beam, instant cast, etc. They all have the ability to crit if they do damage.
Reply Quote
All spells that do damage can crit, channeled, beam, instant cast, etc. They all have the ability to crit if they do damage.

post a vid of a beam spell criting dis or ray or that not true.

In my beta plays I'm yet to see ray crit!
Reply Quote
Silent is correct as far as I know.

I have not personally had Ray or Disin. crit.

To those who are running out of AP quickly - the higher your cast speed is the more AP you will use per second while channeling. You'll hit more often but will be weaker.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
From what i can tell, Volatility Disintegrate looks VERY deadly.

35% chance for 425% weapon damage? That's kind of insane.

If only the spell fit well with the builds i am trying to make. Almost any build you make with disintegrate forces it to be the main skill for the sake of efficiency.
Edited by Switch on 3/20/2012 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
From what i can tell, Volatility Disintegrate looks VERY deadly.

35% chance for 425% weapon damage? That's kind of insane.

If only the spell fit well with the builds i am trying to make. Almost any build you make with disintegrate forces it to be the main skill for the sake of efficiency.

It's deadly IF you're using it where there are weak monsters. If there is a pack of strong champions, it might be better to have Intensify or Convergence.

And yeah if you're using mainly channeling spells, you should have a slow weapon and low crit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]