Diablo® III

Could this build survive Inferno?

Here's the link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cjPQlk!WdY!YYZYYa

The basic idea of the build is to use Teleport and Mirror Image to keep from getting hit and to bombard mobs with AOE frost spells of Blizzard and Comet while they are distracted with your Clones.
Reply Quote
I think you have a really cool idea going with the images, but I don't know if images would be enough for Inferno. A wizard isn't really supposed to take too many hits anyways, so I can imagine that 2 images with 100% of your hitpoints (don't know how many hit points a wizard would have) might not last as long as you like against some of the tougher mobs.

I think something like Frost Nova with bone snap or cold chill might be good as another form of defense. It synergizes well with all of your other spells as well. Just me 2 cents.
Reply Quote
It seems like a good build but I don't know why you have meteor and blizzard at the same time, I would stick with just blizzard and then swap in something like frost nova.
Reply Quote
It's a single-element build so chances are probably not.

Mobs in Inferno may have 4-5 attributes.

Two of the possible attributes are frost resistant and fast. Another is teleport. Another is knockback.

How would you deal with that?

If the answer is run away and have a backup build to swap to, maybe you should think about switching to a build with multiple elements. I'm not sure how many resistances are possible on a single mob, but my most varied build has 4 different types of damage. Most good builds will have 2-3.

Edit: Your build relies completely on AP spells as well, none of those could be used often.

Once you use all your AP you'll just be spamming ray of frost at best.

Familiar's arcane damage I'm not really counting as a damage type.
Edited by Heratli on 3/20/2012 5:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Like Heratli said, I think you need another type of elemental damage.

To make things worse, RoF is not really 0 AP, that is just a bug in the system right now. You will probably need a signature spell to give to time to regen AP.

Lets kill two birds with one stone though.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cjPQbk!WdX!YYZYYa
Reply Quote
03/20/2012 05:19 PMPosted by sLC
It seems like a good build but I don't know why you have meteor and blizzard at the same time, I would stick with just blizzard and then swap in something like frost nova.

agree here, as blizzard and meteor will be too much AP consuming. Yes you have RoF while AP regenerate, but with 10 AP/sec you will basically only cast blizzard and meteor each 10 sec.
Reply Quote
03/20/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Lythos
To make things worse, RoF is not really 0 AP, that is just a bug in the system right now. You will probably need a signature spell to give to time to regen AP.

I saw this statement many times but the calculator would have that bug for such a long time? The spell not even accessible in the beta to confirme it? I'd like to know what's backing up this statement. Anyone knows? Cause with signature spell we have arcane, lightning, and fire type of damage but no way to do ice damage at all? 0 AP for Ray of frost doesn't seems imbalance for me as it would be a way to provide a "Primary" skill with Ice damage type.

Not saying this isn't true, just would like to know where this comes from.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
It's a single-element build so chances are probably not.

Mobs in Inferno may have 4-5 attributes.

Two of the possible attributes are frost resistant and fast. Another is teleport. Another is knockback.

How would you deal with that?

If the answer is run away and have a backup build to swap to, maybe you should think about switching to a build with multiple elements. I'm not sure how many resistances are possible on a single mob, but my most varied build has 4 different types of damage. Most good builds will have 2-3.

Edit: Your build relies completely on AP spells as well, none of those could be used often.

Once you use all your AP you'll just be spamming ray of frost at best.

Familiar's arcane damage I'm not really counting as a damage type.

I think you may be misinformed about resistances. Blizzard specifically said none of the mobs will ever go over 50% in any resist. And based on the fact that they know what they are doing this time, the amount of mobs with whatever resist should be equal.

Plus let's assume (this isn't at all a fantastical assumption) that at least ONE area (all acts on Inferno will be of the same difficulty according to blizzard) will have no frost resistances, so just farm there. If you want to change it around, then you can.

But i think blizzard has made the game specifically so poly-elemental builds can exist. One may actually argue that only a few builds can have multiple elements without sacrificing something else along the way. It's pretty hard to go past 2 sufficient (aka not really signature) damage types without sacrificing either AP efficiency, CC, survivability, etc.

To the OP:

Replace Ray of Frost with an AP generating signature, or put either Astral Presence, Diamond Skin Prism, or Energy Armor Energy Tap somewhere in there. You need more AP for a blizzard/comet combo.
Edited by Switch on 3/20/2012 6:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dVYQgi!YeW!cbcYZc

4 types of damage, little sacrifice. Build is assuming frost damage on weapon.

I was aware that immunities were no longer in play but not sure of the exact %.

Still, if Inferno is any challenge at all a 50% damage reduction is very steep. I'm not convinced someone with only mirror images and teleport would be able to live against them. (His Comet would hit as hard as a Spectral Blade at best)

I'd be more inclined to change Comet to a signature myself. Blizzard is actually looking very good in Beta Patch 15.
Edited by Heratli on 3/20/2012 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Haha well as i said, there are a few exceptions (such as the build we initially came to a conclusion in over on my builds thread -- the one you posted). But generally speaking, it seems blizzard has tuned it so you want at most 2 big sources of damage.

All i remember is they said it would never go over 50%. From this you can probably infer that it would be extreme to see 50%, but that some (probably champion/nightmarish) mobs can get up to 50%.

And eh, i'm still at odds with blizzard. They've changed its role from D2. It isn't supposed to be your main source of damage anymore. Because of that, it's more like a giant debuff maker/Kiting attack. I just don't think it's worth the AP personally. But again, we can't really know till we feel around.
Reply Quote
03/20/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Switch
And eh, i'm still at odds with blizzard. They've changed its role from D2. It isn't supposed to be your main source of damage anymore. Because of that, it's more like a giant debuff maker/Kiting attack. I just don't think it's worth the AP personally. But again, we can't really know till we feel around.

Have you seen the new stats on it?

It's better than Comet even when it's unruned now. Only difference is it's not lump sum + small dot but completely dot.
Reply Quote
I saw this statement many times but the calculator would have that bug for such a long time? The spell not even accessible in the beta to confirme it? I'd like to know what's backing up this statement. Anyone knows? Cause with signature spell we have arcane, lightning, and fire type of damage but no way to do ice damage at all? 0 AP for Ray of frost doesn't seems imbalance for me as it would be a way to provide a "Primary" skill with Ice damage type.

I am assuming people can still read the tool tip for the spell in the beta even if they can not use it but I agree. It is rather curious as to why this would be in the skill calculator for so long if it is a bug. It's been there for several patches now.
Reply Quote

I am assuming people can still read the tool tip for the spell in the beta even if they can not use it but I agree. It is rather curious as to why this would be in the skill calculator for so long if it is a bug. It's been there for several patches now.

We can currently see the runes for every ability we can actually use (unlocked at levels 1-13) as well as the unruned form of every spell.

As to the 'why they haven't updated it' question, they have a lot to do and change things pretty frequently. Quite a few of the spells change if only a little bit every patch. It is a great question though. To us, it seems like it would only take a few minutes to change. I don't know how Blizzard works but they probably have some sort of process of approval to post anything or edit anything to their sites.

Lots of typos haven't been fixed though.

Also, look at the 'current Wizard information'. It was posted in August 2011 =x. Almost everything you read is inaccurate in some shape or form.

Blizzard's probably going to finalize things and clean up the game as much as possible then in the weeks before release they'll probably do janitorial duties on the talent calculators.
Reply Quote
People who think Ray of Frost is going to be 0 AP with the Cold Blood rune are deluding themselves. The tool-tip displays 12 AP in the beta, and common sense should tell you that they aren't going to make a spender free.
Reply Quote
03/21/2012 10:29 AMPosted by D3BETA
People who think Ray of Frost is going to be 0 AP with the Cold Blood rune are deluding themselves. The tool-tip displays 12 AP in the beta, and common sense should tell you that they aren't going to make a spender free.

I was just asking why it wouldn't be 0AP as I didn't have that beta game... next time try not to be an assh*le and be more constructive.
Reply Quote
03/21/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Lethan

I was just asking why it wouldn't be 0AP as I didn't have that beta game... next time try not to be an assh*le and be more constructive.

Don't feed the trolls bro.

But he has a point. RoF at 0AP would make Magic Missile at the very least basically useless.
Reply Quote
Posted by D3BETA

I apologize if I offended you. I was not trying to be an !@#$%^-. I have never been terribly good at sugar coating my comments. I have always preferred truth over tact.
Reply Quote
Posted by D3BETA

I apologize if I offended you. I was not trying to be an !@#$%^-. I have never been terribly good at sugar coating my comments. I have always preferred truth over tact.

Not everyone has the beta and it's certainly not the common sense of the masses to second guess everything a reputable gaming company does - particularly what they've advertised on their website for months and have never changed. Truth and common sense are both altered by perception. You're both a beta player and probably more of a theorycrafter than other players.
Reply Quote
03/21/2012 01:57 PMPosted by D3BETA

I accept your apology... just think that we all are people posting in here and that we all deserve respect.
By the way thanks for pointing it out that in the beta it was 12 AP. Helps a lot figuring out why people were making these claims.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
03/20/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Heratli

Have you seen the new stats on it?

It's better than Comet even when it's unruned now. Only difference is it's not lump sum + small dot but completely dot.

What do you mean? It has a good duration now, but the damage is still abysmal. I don't see how it's better than comet at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]