Diablo® III

Sword and shield build; input desired

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#TZYVfi!fVU!ZZcZYc

Basically, I'll drop Caltrops, wait for enemies to get snared and then vault in the midst of them and unleash grenades/spike traps/impale on the stunned enemies.
Reply Quote
why would you want a sword? why not just use a one handed bow gun and shield? You could still pull off this build but youd have the added advantage of ranged combat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#TZYVfi!fVU!ZZcZYc

Basically, I'll drop Caltrops, wait for enemies to get snared and then vault in the midst of them and unleash grenades/spike traps/impale on the stunned enemies.

I think you will regret making a melee build for the DH. I had this discussion with a friend of mine about the Witch Doctor, but many of the points work the same for the DH.

Basically, the two classes made for melee combat(i.e Monk and Barb) were just given 30% mitigation against all damage because it was NEEDED for survival... most likely in later difficulties. Blizzard wouldnl;t hand out a cookie like that for any other reason.

With that in mind, any of the other three classes will be at an EXTREME disadvantage if they choose builds requiring them to be in melee range. The WD actually has an advantage over the DH here with all their pets for distractions, but in the end(or end game ;P) I think that you will be horribly gimped if you try this.

Maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before. Maybe there are perfectly viable Hell and even Inferno builds for the WD, DH and Wizard that usse melee almost exclusively....

But I doubt it.
Reply Quote
Yepp, blizzard @#*%d all major class diversity with latest patches.

- Nerfing weapon throw passive = no more good range barbs

- Removing spike trap as hatred generator = no more trap dh with melee weapon

- Removing fundamentals = no more melee dmg for dh

- Removing virtuoso = no more wand wizard

- Removing chakram melee rune effect from 105% dmg/sec to 30% dmg/sec = bye bye melee pros for DH

- 30% dmg reduction for "melee" classes: monk and barb = a big !@#$ you to everyone who wanted to form their own playstyle.

Blizzards speaks of how they want to promote viable builds - well, they either dont want that or they're just stupid.

Wielding a melee weapon on a "range" class brings nothing but disadvantages.
Reply Quote
Melee DH doesn't mean, that the Demon Hunter now slashes the mobs with his sword, he just wears the sword and deals damage with grenades, traps and skills like impale. So he's not going to stand closer to the enemies than a bow/xbox DH!
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 07:57 AMPosted by D3BETA
Melee DH doesn't mean, that the Demon Hunter now slashes the mobs with his sword, he just wears the sword and deals damage with grenades, traps and skills like impale. So he's not going to stand closer to the enemies than a bow/xbox DH!

A demon hunter wielding a melee weapon and shield will never be able to compeat with a barbarian doing the same thing. It's not a matter of opinion - it's a matter of math.
Reply Quote
First, it doesn't matter if the Barb is stronger, he is probably stronger than a DH anyway, no matter which specc. And it's not about math, it's about how the skills work. A Demon Hunter with Sword and Shield will probably deal less damage, but he's not (and this is the important part) in melee range at all. He's rather using skills like caltrops and vault to get away from danger, so the 30% dmg reduction of the Barb is not a direct competitor for a "melee DH".

If you want to create the most effective build, you will most likely end up using a bow or xbow, but thats not everybodys goal, there are also aspects like style and I'm pretty sure the build of the OP will work pretty well.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/19/2012 8:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
First, it doesn't matter if the Barb is stronger, he is probably stronger than a DH anyway, no matter which specc. And it's not about math, it's about how the skills work. A Demon Hunter with Sword and Shield will deal less damage, but he's not (and this is the important part) in melee range at all. He's rather using skills like caltrops and vault to get away from danger...

My point being:

Character A has a build with X equipment - the best possible weapon for the build (dh with sword of a thousand truths)

Character B has a build with X equipment - the best possible weapon for that build (barb with sword of a thousand truths)

The only fair thing would be if these characters are balanced. Character B will however overpower Character A in every way. He will deal more damage, he won't be afraid of getting into melee range, he will have more life steal, more armor, more mobility etc.

Now when that's clarified, let's proceed with a dh comparison:

Character A has a build with X equipment - the best possible weapon for the build (dh with sword of a thousand truths)

Character C has a build with X equipment - the best possible weapon for the build (dh with windforce)

Character C will deal more damage than character A. In fact - a lot more damage. Most likely double the amount (if not three-four times as much). Character A will have about ~20-25% more armor as he is using a shield.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/19/2012 8:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sure, a shield means always sacrificing damage for more safety, but you won't lose 300% damage, thats totally exaggerated. You will probably deal ~30% less damage, but you gain armor, blockchance and most likely tons of resi in exchange. So if you want to play a trap/grenade build and you want to use a shield, it doens't matter if you wear a sword or a 1handed xbow.

And stop comparing a DH with the Barb, that not working like that, at least not now.
Reply Quote
Sure, a shield means always sacrificing damage for more safety, but you won't lose 300% damage, thats totally exaggerated. You will probably deal ~30% less damage, but you gain armor, blockchance and most likely tons of resi in exchange. So if you want to play a trap/grenade build and you want to use a shield, it doens't matter if you wear a sword or a 1handed xbow.

And stop comparing a DH with the Barb, that not working like that, at least not now.

Ok, lets compare OP build with this build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#cRYhQU!ceY!bbcZbY

First of all, Windforce has 480 dps excluding quiver, with best quiver about 600 dps. The best melee weapons has about 280 dps, but let's be generous and say it's 300 for fun.

Just sheer damage wise, this will be the rough difference:

Many targets

Melee DH spamming granades: 300 x 0.95 x 1,10 = 314 dps in aoe

My bow DH: (((600 x 0,3) + (600 x 1,15)) x 1,35) x 1,15 x 1,1 = 1486 dps in aoe, but you won't always be free from enemies within 10 y, so let's say 1200 dps in aoe.

Single targets

Melee DH SPAMMING impale constantly (which will never be sustained, but we are so generous toward melee dh in our calculations!): ((300x 2,5) + (300x0,20)) x 1,1 = 891 dps

My bow DH: (((600 x 0,3) + (600 x 3,35)) x 1,35) x 1,3 x 1,1 = 4227,795 dps

Melee DH will have a shield with good armor and resist and 45% dmg reduction unlike my bow DH. My DH on the other hand will have twice as much range, double aoe cone (compare multishot and granedes) and about five times as much damage.

Melee DH is !@#$. I loved the idea when it was viable before, but as it is - it's %^-*.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/19/2012 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]