Diablo® III

Arcane Dynamo + Meteor Build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bQYglR!YWT!ZacZaZ

So this build revolves around casting a signature spell 5 times to trigger the Arcane Dynamo passive (+75% damage to next spell) and then casting Meteor with as many other damage bonuses as possible.

Total bonuses:
+15% Glass Cannon
+20% Black Ice (Alternatively, use Conflagration for +15% to targets hit with Shock Pulse + Fire Bolts rune)
+75% Arcane Dynamo
+15% Frost Nova + Bone Chill rune
+20% Slow Time + Time Warp rune
+15% Familiar + Sparkflint rune
+20% Magic Weapon - Force Weapon

Assuming the bonuses all stack additively, the total bonus comes out to +180%, almost triple damage. You won't get all the bonuses every time due to cooldowns, but as long as Arcane Dynamo is triggered, it should be hitting for over double damage. The AP cost of Meteor is high enough that in between each cast of it you should have just enough time to cast your signature spell 5 times before you've regenerated the 60 AP. If not, then sometimes you might have to cast Meteor without the Arcane Dynamo bonus or let your AP go to waste.

The only major weakness I see with this build is the lack of a single target damage spell, but you could probably swap out one of the skills for something like Ray of Frost and still keep a large damage bonus.

Any thoughts?
Edited by D3BETA on 3/18/2012 1:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Black ice is 20% increase of cold damage done to frozen/chilled. But with fire shock pulse and meteor you should be able to keep conflag up.
Reply Quote
Are the familiar's attacks considered fire damage with that rune, and if so are they capable of putting conflagration on targets?
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 09:23 AMPosted by D3BETA
Are the familiar's attacks considered fire damage with that rune, and if so are they capable of putting conflagration on targets?

Hmm, good question, I hadn't noticed that in the rune description. I guess there's no way to know until the game is released since that spell isn't available in the beta.
Reply Quote
Bonus Damage all stacks multiplicitvately as far as most of us know, and is only logical to assume when 21 Int would outshine any rune or passive if they are only additive.

Also, your guide has Black Ice without any cold damaging spells. Black Ice is only +20% cold damage.

Conflagration has been changed to 10% all damage instead of 15%.

This basically means that Comet is actually our highest burst damage spell with no cooldown. Archon R1 Arcane Destruction with Conflag and Arcane Dynamo etc is acutally our biggest lump-sum, but Comet's DoT portion and Black Ice it is higher after a few seconds.

I would change your build to Comet instead of Molten Impact.

Why do you use Fire Bolts without Conflag? Spectral Blade is better unruned vs 4+ targets, and less if one Pulse misses. It'll also help keep up Black Ice and spread it - especially with the 20 yard range rune with a frost damage weapon.

If you use a weapon with 1.0 APS you'll be able to get off a Dynamo Comet every 6 seconds off base AP. (But the procrate is not 100%. Read the spell closely) Ideally you'd go into a fight with Dynamo up but I'm not sure if it'll last that long. Barring that you should cast a normal comet then start hitting your enemies with Spectral Blade to get Black Ice up before the comet lands. I suppose Frost Nova can be used for positioning and damage. You will regen more when you're throwing up Slow Time and Frost Nova so you may occasionally throw out a free comet as you say.

Your build is perfect otherwise.

100% + 20% + 20%+ 15%+75%+ 15%+15% would be your biggest burst if you blow everything. Note that if you blow everything you will have no survivability spells for a 3 second period and then a 5 second period (after the frost nova is down) before Slow Time is back up. You will have periods when you are relying from the slows from Comets and Spectral Blade + Frost Damage Weapon.

100 weapon damage would give your comets 1149 damage instantly and 459 dmg over 3 seconds if mobs are standing in it full dura. this comes out to be 1608 damage which is 1608% of weapon damage. A full normal comet unbuffed would do 420 damage including the DoT. So you'll get almost 4 times normal damage with every buff you have up.

This is assuming solo play where you will not have other buffs, but remember that this damage is assuming 0% resistances on your enemies.

Remember that for solo play you'll only have whatever Signature you choose to use and Archon for damage and may not have Frost Nova for survivability if certain packs are immune to it. As well as bosses. Slow Time will be your only form of survivability and it's only up 40% of the time.

Good day.
Edited by Heratli on 3/18/2012 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 09:23 AMPosted by D3BETA

We are assuming the answer to your question is yes right now but since the rune description isn't good we're going to test this as soon as possible.

If you look at Dartling it says 'lightning' as well. This gives us reason to suspect that it is indeed fire and lightning damage, since it happens twice.

Edit:

I just remembered. To the OP:

Arcane Dynamo says you 'MAY' get a stack of Flash.

It's logical to assume this means % based and will not be consistent.

While still good for meteor since it is so ap-heavy, you could instead switch to AP-reduction rune and get Glass Cannon or another % passive and deal 15% additional damage every spell for 5 spells and get 75%. This would be 100% consistent.

I forgot to mention this =/
Edited by Heratli on 3/18/2012 5:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Arcane Dynamo says you 'MAY' get a stack of Flash.

It's logical to assume this means % based and will not be consistent.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed this or the Black Ice bonus only increasing cold damage. I wonder what the proc rate is.

Why do you use Fire Bolts without Conflag? Spectral Blade is better unruned vs 4+ targets, and less if one Pulse misses. It'll also help keep up Black Ice and spread it - especially with the 20 yard range rune with a frost damage weapon.

The reason I had Fire Bolts as the signature spell is mainly because I was originally putting together the build with Conflagration, but decided to switch it with Black Ice later. I didn't think the choice of signature spell mattered much to the build so I just kind of left it there. I tried out Spectral Blade in the beta but didn't like it because it forced me to stay closer to enemies than I would like (not that it really matters in the easy first act, but I figure it could be a problem later on). That's just my personal feelings however. I guess I might like it better with the range upgrade rune though.

Thank you for the comments.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/18/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just time warp then cast Comet as the comet falls drop a Frost Nova with dmg boost on the mob.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Sherloc
Just time warp then cast Comet as the comet falls drop a Frost Nova with dmg boost on the mob.

Fireballs, now replaced by Iceballs as the true answer to every situation!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]