Diablo® III

Out of arcane character mechanics

Hey everyone,

I'd just like to get a sense of whether anyone else, besides me, is annoyed by the way wizards act when they're out of arcane power.

Right now, if my character is out of arcane and I attempt to cast a spell that uses arcane, the character (if using a melee weapon) will attempt to run into melee range to strike the enemy. This, to me, will be a huge issue in hardcore. I've already found myself in difficult situations because the character moves unexpectedly.

If I remember correctly, the sorceress in diablo 2 would simply emote that she was out of mana, if you attempted to cast a spell without enough resources. Personally, I prefer this behaviour over attempting to auto attack. It's safer and requires less babysitting your resource pool.

Thoughts?
Edited by killjoy on 3/18/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree as well, this has annoyed me quite a bit.

However, it is easily avoidable by using Shift + spell instead of hovering your mouse over targets and pressing right/left/1/2/3/4.

This has pretty much been the norm with Sorceresses, Zons, and Necros, etc for many years now and it works quite fine.

It is slightly harder to aim at first, but it is actually better for spells such as Arcane Orb. You can send them to hit walls (which don't move) instead of throwing them at the present location of a quick moving mob who will doubtlessly move away by the time the Orb gets there.

Edit: It's easier to shift + left click/right click than it is to shift 1 2 3 or 4. Putting AP-cost damaging spells on left/right click and spells like frost nova or even signature spells on 1/2/3/4 seems best. You generally want to avoid using your attack on a basic attack (esp while using a melee weapon) instead of a signature spell anyway, so if you're getting low on AP (say below half) just throw in a few signatures.
Edited by Heratli on 3/18/2012 9:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Hold shift and your problem is solved (or have a wand main hand)
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 02:52 AMPosted by Mick

Ever heard of staves ?

I agree, I think we should be allowed to choose our default attack mechanism, be it basic attack or any skill that doesn't cost any ressources really (could be a signature skill or a fury generator, etcc...)
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 10:43 PMPosted by Underwear

Ever heard of staves ?

I agree, I think we should be allowed to choose our default attack mechanism, be it basic attack or any skill that doesn't cost any ressources really (could be a signature skill or a fury generator, etcc...)

I completely agree. We have signature spells for a reason and it would be to be fillers, very little more. We can choose when we want to use them by hitting whatever hotkey if we need them for more than fillers. Otherwise it would be very convenient to have signatures be the default 'oh crap im out of AP' spell.

Definitely a lot cleaner.
Reply Quote
It is annoying, but years of playing Diablo put me in the habit of holding shift to attack with just about everything. I'd imagine they'd want the game to be more active than just defaulting to a free skill or something similar.

For now, I'd just get in the habit of holding shift to attack. It'll make your Diablo life much happier.. especially if you venture into Demon Hunter territory.
Reply Quote
This only happens with melee weapons, if you have a wand or bow, the wizard will shoot that instead. What I dont understand is why they didnt give an option so that if you dont have any AP to cast the spell, but you have a sig. spell memorized, to just cast that sig. spell. It wouldnt even need to be a wizard only option, Most other classes have a "generator" ability, so if they ran out of their fuel, they could use the script in the same way.

Right now, with server and client lag, its pretty easy to waste a tick of damage to autoattack instead of a more powerful zero-cost ability.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]