Diablo® III

How long wil the entire game take

Community Manager
There are two big variables that prevent me from being able to estimate how long it takes me to play through the end of Normal difficulty: time spent maximizing my character's effectiveness (standing around looking at gear, switching out followers and bringing them up to speed, etc.) and time spent playing with crafting/auctioning (leveling up the blacksmith, looking at what he can craft, selling and buying items, etc.)

And in the higher difficulties, those variables can expand dramatically.
Reply Quote
There are two big variables that prevent me from being able to estimate how long it takes me to play through the end of Normal difficulty: time spent maximizing my character's effectiveness (standing around looking at gear, switching out followers and bringing them up to speed, etc.) and time spent playing with crafting/auctioning (leveling up the blacksmith, looking at what he can craft, selling and buying items, etc.)

I recall hearing that the approximate size of the game would be similar to D2. Is that still the case? If so then essentially we have as big a playground as D2 but with one extra difficulty (and one that is always level appropriate) to enjoy.
Reply Quote
Just curious Kaivax, how much of the game have you had the chance to play/what difficulties did you test the most?
Reply Quote
Well a full clear will probalby take some time. If we use the beta as an example...

Full Clear = 2.5 hours
Rush = 30 minutes on average

Beta = 1/3 of act 1, and lets assume each of the first 3 acts are the same size, and act 4 is about half the size.

7.5 hours per act = 22.5 hours plus 3.75 = 26.25 hours on normal mode for a full clear.
1.5 hours per act = 4.5 + .75 = 5.25 hours for a rush on normal mode.

So your first play through on Normal mode will be something in between 5.25 and 26.25 hours.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/19/2012 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well a full clear will probalby take some time. If we use the beta as an example...

Full Clear = 2.5 hours

Beta = 1/3 of act 1, and lets assume each of the first 3 acts are the same size, and act 4 is about half the size.

7.5 hours per act = 22.5 hours plus 3.75 = 26.25 hours on normal mode for a full clear.

So your first play through on Normal mode will be something in between 5.25 and 26.25 hours.

The size of an act and how long it takes to get through it are two very different things. These calculations are meaningless.
Reply Quote

Full Clear = 2.5 hours

The size of an act and how long it takes to get through it are two very different things. These calculations are meaningless.

i never said this was accurate. It is a obvious guesstimate.
Reply Quote

Heh, glad I'm not the only one who does this. I find myself wasting incredible amounts of time with loot and armor, loading up my char and the followers and selling or crafting with the rest. I've maxed out the blacksmith multiple times. And even though I couldn't use the higher level stuff he made in the beta, I still loved seeing what armor or weapons were next and whether it was going to benefit me. For me these are some of the most enjoyable parts of the game. I get waaayyyyy more than 30 hours out of a run through on normal. Would probably drive some people crazy but it's a part of the game I enjoy the most.
Reply Quote
I never said this was accurate. It is a obvious guesstimate.

Even though it is based on nearly nothing, it is probably a fairly accurate guess. Given that Bashiok has mentioned the length is similar to Diablo 2, and your estimates, they both fall in line. Not counting the Act 5 expansion, the ~6 hours for rush and ~20+ hours for clearing everything is about the same for Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
Why would I skip content and rush through D3, a game I have waited for with great anticipation for so long?

I believe "Kaivax's" two big variables will be the chosen path for 95% of all players who play D3 the first time out.

With that in mind, I expect 33 hrs minimum will be the magic amount of time it takes to "complete" your first Normal run through. Once you comple Normal type in /played and you will know for sure.

I understand there will be that 5 to 10% who will make the big push to be first to "finish" Normal, please "NOTE" I did not say "complete" Normal. Those that take that approach will literally have to skip a ton of the content.

My approach following download:

* Create one character in all five classes.
* Begin playing my character of choice.
* Key drops for each class will be moved into my shared stash to be collected by one of my other characters as I continue through Normal.
* Leveling up my Blacksmith, Jewelcrafter and Followers.
* Just enjoying the ride.

My first character in D2 could not kill Diablo solo until lvl 28 the very first time I played. I expect a similar experience this time.

I also believe it will take a minimum of 48 hours, 13 minutes and 47 seconds before the first character by "anyone" enters Inferno for the first time.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/19/2012 12:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

ASSUMING you only play straight through, solo, only going back to town to turn in quests and swap out obvious gear upgrades you find off monsters - how long?
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 12:02 PMPosted by D3BETA
Why would I skip content and rush through D3, a game I have waited for with great anticipation for so long?

There are several SC2 players who have never played the campaign. Some folk have zero interest in the story/lore.

I believe "Kaivax's" two big variables will be the chosen path for 95% of all players who play D3 the first time out.

I can imagine that. Even with D2's lacking gem/rune system, I've felt the desire to sit in normal and upgrade gems. With the addition of crafting, I'm sure a good number of players will devote time to it. (Hell, I've put in a ton of hours into smithing in Skyrim--not for the gear, just to upgrade !@#$)

My approach following download:

* Create one character in all five classes.
* Begin playing my character of choice.
* Key drops for each class will be moved into my shared stash to be collected by one of my other characters as I continue through Normal.
* Leveling up my Blacksmith, Jewelcrafter and Followers.
* Just enjoying the ride.

I plan on something similar except I want to play HC mode and I will finish each of the 5 classes through normal first, then level them up together through the rest while sharing their drops. I expect normal mode to be stupidly easy and not worth worrying about decking out my other characters. Also, my first few playthroughs will be focused on the story/lore, and focusing on one character at a time will be better.

My first character in D2 could not kill Diablo solo until lvl 28 the very first time I played. I expect a similar experience this time.

True, but many of those experiences had to do with lack of understanding of game mechanics and the ability to screw up your character through attribute/skill selection.
Reply Quote
Merak:

No thoughts on my last comment on entering Inferno first?

I also believe it will take a minimum of 48 hours, 13 minutes and 47 seconds before the first character by "anyone" enters Inferno for the first time.
Reply Quote
My first Diablo 2 solo run back in the day when it came out took right around 23 hours.

Three years later I could literally sit down and clear normal difficulty in one day at around 8 hours.

I have a feeling D3 will work about the same way. If you don't know the content and are checking every corner you can put a lot of time into a playthrough.
If you take the so called straight-line approach and rush through it, I'd imagine you will have invested less than half the time.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 10:07 AMPosted by Thor
30 hours for normal? who are you people? is that how long it took you to beat d2 normal?

Do you even know what Diablo 2 is? Oh... thats right you're the guy with the twink gear and act 3 meph wp. My bad brah.
Reply Quote
Merak:

No thoughts on my last comment on entering Inferno first?

Didn't see it. I'm not sure what to think. Is that estimate a reference or based on anything?

I honestly have no idea when people will first hit Inferno. I do know there will be some who will play non-stop, with a group, on SC for the first couple of days. I'm sure Inferno will be defeated before the first week.

Unfortunately, I will be one of those players who will actually sleep and attend to other life matters, so I won't be one of them :P
Reply Quote

Confirmed for 2 afternoons of playtime.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 10:04 AMPosted by David
I am married with children. It will take me a while on my first play through as I will be taking my time in a solo run. Enjoying every nook and cranny and savoring every new ability and rune. 10 years ago I would probably beat it in 2-3 days.

Do you sell womens shoes? And have you scored four Touchdowns in one game at Polk High?
Reply Quote

I don't understand why game companies avoid answering this question. Blizzard has a large QA department and I'm sure any number of people could provide a rough time estimate. Gear/crafting/AH time is not going to make a significant difference in overall playthrough time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]