Diablo® III

Nephalem Valor Buff

(Locked)

Community Manager
We’re working hard on balancing and testing Diablo III, and one of the major components is making sure that the end game experience is fun and exciting. We’d like to share a few of our goals for end game:

• We have an enormous number of skill build combinations, and we want a lot of those skill builds to be viable and interesting
  • While there are millions of skill builds available to players, we don’t want players swapping skills regularly to beat specific encounters as they come up
  • We don’t want repeatedly running specific three-minute chunks of the game to be the most efficient way to acquire gear for your character
  • While a three-minute run shouldn’t be the most efficient, we also don’t want you to feel like it’s a two-hour commitment every time you sit down to play
  • Bosses should still feel worth killing

Nephalem Valor is one of the major new systems in Diablo III and it kicks in at level 60. Keep in mind that this is still in testing and we’re still working out the details. Here’s how it currently works internally: Rare and Champion packs already have great loot on them. By killing a Rare or Champion pack, not only do you get their loot, but you’ll also receive a buff granting you increased magic find and gold find. However, if you change a skill, skill rune, passive, or leave the game, the buff disappears. As an extra reward, if you kill a boss while this buff is active, you’ll receive extra loot drops from that boss.

The exact amount of magic find and gold find provided by the buff is still being reviewed, as is the amount of extra loot you get from a boss while the buff is active. We’re also playing around with whether or not the buff stacks, what the duration should be, and whether or not it should persist through death. We want to make sure the buff is strong enough to make staying in your current game more rewarding than creating a new game. At the same time, if the buff is too strong, it risks making shorter play sessions feel not worthwhile.

We expect this system will encourage players to stick with a skill build of their choice, select an area of the game they enjoy, and sweep it for rare and champion packs on their way to a boss, finishing off a run with a boss that’ll be worth killing. If you wanted a shorter play session you could be done at that point, but if you have more time, the path of least resistance would ideally be to stay in the same game and make your way towards the next boss.
This looks awesome. Great way to encourage you find a build that you love and stick with it.

One question though, do you plan to have this stat visible or be an internal only thing?
Edited by D3BETA on 3/21/2012 9:03 AM PDT
89 Blood Elf Rogue
I approve of this. This sounds like a great way to keep people playing in one game for a while instead of creating a new one every five minutes. Keep up the good work guys. =)
03/21/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Bashiok
but if you have more time, the path of least resistance would ideally be to stay in the same game and make your way towards the next boss.

Inferno mode + this is one of my favorite changes from Diablo 2. Nice work.
This looks amazing. I don't remember who else proposed this, but another person kept suggesting a MF/GF buff for not switching skills. I think this is effectively that system, and it seems really like a great implementation.

One question: Why only at 60?
Sounds amazing. I am eagerly awaiting the day I get my hands on Diablo III

Now that I know a release date and knowing it is just a little under two months away is actually more painful than just forgetting about the game and checking back up on news once a month or so.
Does "kicks in at level 60" imply inferno only? Or, if you hit 60 and need to farm hell a little bit before moving on; you can get the buff too?
This is awesome!
Here’s how it currently works internally: Rare and Champion packs already have great loot on them. By killing a Rare or Champion pack, not only do you get their loot, but you’ll also receive a buff granting you increased magic find and gold find. However, if you change a skill, skill rune, passive, or leave the game, the buff disappears. As an extra reward, if you kill a boss while this buff is active, you’ll receive extra loot drops from that boss.

The exact amount of magic find and gold find provided by the buff is still being reviewed, as is the amount of extra loot you get from a boss while the buff is active. We’re also playing around with whether or not the buff stacks, what the duration should be, and whether or not it should persist through death. We want to make sure the buff is strong enough to make staying in your current game more rewarding than creating a new game. At the same time, if the buff is too strong, it risks making shorter play sessions feel not worthwhile.

We expect this system will encourage players to stick with a skill build of their choice, select an area of the game they enjoy, and sweep it for rare and champion packs on their way to a boss, finishing off a run with a boss that’ll be worth killing. If you wanted a shorter play session you could be done at that point, but if you have more time, the path of least resistance would ideally be to stay in the same game and make your way towards the next boss.

Thanks for the explanation. I expressed in a different thread that it seems counter productive to lose the buff by swapping skills out for a boss, but this makes a bit more sense.

I am all for this NV buff. Cool addition.
I assume all bosses in inferno will therefore have the same Mlevel? Will bosses, rare and champions also have the same mlevel in inferno?
90 Orc Warrior
Love it.
89 Blood Elf Rogue
This looks amazing. I don't remember who else proposed this, but another person kept suggesting a MF/GF buff for not switching skills. I think this is effectively that system, and it seems really like a great implementation.

One question: Why only at 60?

My guess would be that it starts at 60 because that is really where you start running for gear. You should still be concerned with leveling before that, therefore making it less of a necessity.
Good news.
I'm very happy you are addressing the respec "issue".

Imo, you should make the buff stack up to some reasonable amount, so people could build it up over time, maybe even multiple sessions (so people don't feel they have to be online for hours as you mention). It might encourage people to start a new session, but that seems to be much less of an issue than everything else.

If respeccing or dying, it would be lost.

Edit: How about this addition to the buff (if technically doable): Your current stack of the buff can only grant extra loot from each unique boss one time. That would greatly encourage people to move on, rather than repeat that boss run. The buff would have to run out and rebuild anew before you could benefit from it on that particular boss again.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/21/2012 9:12 AM PDT
I much prefer this option then having to do chain boss or named champion/elite runs. Anything to avoid hitting leave game/remake over and over again.
86 Blood Elf Rogue
I was skeptical the first time I heard of this, but it sounds awesome. Keep up the great work guys!
This is a great idea. I guess :)
+1!
I approve.
It should certainly stack. Otherwise people will do a rare mob and go straight to the boss.

Stacking encourages full sweeps. The benefits can be logrithmic so as not to penalize too much if there are simply less rare spawns.
Wow, I'm digging this.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]