Diablo® III

Demon Design Evolution Images

Hey guys, I would like to bring the attention of this forum to this video that was released a little while ago by ForceSC2strategy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAyw2GOZuM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2b57e27FUAAAAAAAZAA

This video shows some very old concept art of Diablo and Azmodan. I think we can use the evolution of Diablo's appearance to see what Blizzard is trying to portray in his character.

Most of the pictures depict Diablo as being skinnier than we was in Diablo 2. These were drawn in 2007, which was before Diablo 3 was officially announced. At that point I doubt they would have a coherent idea of what the story would be. Although many of the pictures show him as being skinny, they all appear to be very masculine.

Because of this i think that they are trying to make Diablo's body resemble the evil he respresents. Terror is more of a mental evil than physical so i don't think they want him to be a monstrous brute. Also, if Diablo was a hulking mass of muscle, many people would assume he was stupid because that is a common stereotype, which is not the case.

Along with this, I also believe that these pictures support the theory that Diablo has merged with Mephisto, specifically the image at 2:19. He once again appears with an extra set of arms along with horns very similar to Mephistos. Furthermore, he seems to be floating, which is a trait of Mephisto, he seems to have an odd glow in him, and he is skinny just like Mephisto.

Tell me what you guys think
Reply Quote
I just think they thought the version of diablo looks the best, and has nothing to do with what he took for a shell. they thought that the looks make him look more of flesh. The hour glass figure is some what like a female, but has no breasts. But this is no true form of him, and we will never see it. The artist and blizzard used to have diablo as a huge looking muscular brute. they just think that this looks better, making speculation based off of what he looks like make little sense.
Edited by Gunghoe on 3/31/2012 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
A big slow hulking brute that makes low-pitched grunts is not terrifying to me. The stereotype is so ingrained into me that I no longer find it particularly intimidating.

A thinner, smaller, faster, difficult to avoid monster that gets in your face with devastating close range attacks while screaming in a high pitched wail is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]