Diablo® III

DH DPS less than Wizard

So if the DH has less DPS than the Wizard, what is the benefit of being a Demon Hunter? I'm guess its because of all the slow effects he has but not sure.
Reply Quote
03/31/2012 09:30 PMPosted by Captain
DH has less DPS than the Wizard

says who?
Reply Quote
Hopefully I'm wrong.
Reply Quote
Different play styles. Different resource management. Maybe wizards will do more damage than DHs, but it all comes down to the player, the build, the gear, and the situation. I'm sure Blizzard has balanced it closely enough to where if there is a difference in damage between two classes it's a minor one. I guarantee that once level 60s start complaining that X class does more damage than Y class the first thing they're going to be asked is what spells they're using and why.
Edited by Hax on 3/31/2012 11:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2012 12:08 AMPosted by Dulù
Good luck fighting a magic immune champion demon as a wizard.

1. there will be no "immune to xxx" mods in D3.
2. wizard has spells that deal physical damage.
Reply Quote
Wizards play as the classical "Glass Canon" class. That is, they have very high damage output with less survivability.

Demon Hunters play as the "Rogue" class. That is, they have a medium-low damage output, but very high utility and survivability. e.g. Vault, traps, smokescreen,etc.

That's my experience so far, Blizzard may change this in the later levels when the full game is released.
Reply Quote
I doubt DH has medium to low dps. Maybe medium to high dps is what you mean. Her skills are amazing and tear down mobs pretty quick.

The Wizard can do some good damage when close to the mobs, but it puts her at great risk.
Reply Quote
I don't know where you're getting that DH has less dps than wizard. They're pretty even so far in the beta as far as I can tell having maxed both. My DH is the fastest kill on skeleton king of any of my classes (although I've spent the most time getting him gear) and I like the fact that he has some of the best escapes with vault and caltrops/entangling shot.

About the only thing lacking from the DH is AoE but that is only because you can't get to a high enough level in the beta to unlock any true AoE moves whereas most other classes can. The best you can do is entangling shot runed or bola shot, but I'd rather just use rapid fire and mow the mobs down. Nothing close to using arcane orb as a wizard to blow $hit up. We will get decent AoE down the road, but nothing unlockable yet.
Edited by LtShaft on 4/1/2012 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/31/2012 09:30 PMPosted by Captain
So if the DH has less DPS than the Wizard, what is the benefit of being a Demon Hunter? I'm guess its because of all the slow effects he has but not sure.

Obviously cause you like playing a Demon Hunter....

But more importantly, all classes can do dps. its not WoW thier are no set roles. Every One has utility, everyone kills
Reply Quote
At least I know for sure that the DH will survive and should be the last man standing in the end.
Reply Quote
Where exactly are you getting your "DH DPS < Wiz DPS" facts? I'm genuinely curious who told you this.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
VoS
The OP said, "if."
No need to harm them.
Reply Quote

Are you really going by DPS and DPS alone? Is that the end all for playing the game? What if the barb deals more DPS than the wizard...what is the benefit of playing a wizard?

By your standards, D3 should only be played by the class that can deal the most DPS at the end of the game and all other classes are useless just because they deal less damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
DPS will most likely be the second or even the third most important 'stat' to have.

Maybe ability is a better term.

The most important 'ability, ba'r none, will be survivability - i.e. defenses.

Then crowd control will be close to dps.

Who cares which one does more damage. This isn't WoW.

Go put your epeen's away.
Edited by Zanathos on 4/4/2012 4:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
DPS will most likely be the second or even the third most important 'stat' to have.

Maybe ability is a better term.

The most important 'ability, ba'r none, will be survivability - i.e. defenses.

Then crowd control will be close to dps.

Who cares which one does more damage. This isn't WoW.

Go put your epeen's away.

This is exactly why I'm looking at the DH as my HC main. Vault / Caltrops / Smokescreen / Preparation / etc.

The DH in my opinion has the best survivability... if used properly. The irony is that I've seen mostly DH's bite it in the beta (HC). But if you play true range, meaning no jumping into the middle or getting surrounded... the DH should always come away from the fight alive!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
03/31/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Hax
Different play styles. Different resource management. Maybe wizards will do more damage than DHs, but it all comes down to the player, the build, the gear, and the situation. I'm sure Blizzard has balanced it closely enough to where if there is a difference in damage between two classes it's a minor one. I guarantee that once level 60s start complaining that X class does more damage than Y class the first thing they're going to be asked is what spells they're using and why.

I laugh at stuff like this. Blizzard has such a good track record for this.

Warcraft - Warriors has been an a rollercoaster of overpowered vs unplayable for a very long time. Not balanced vs what other players can do.

Diablo2- Hopefully i'm not the only person thats played diablo2 and noticed how barbs had zero damage. comparied to paladin hammers 1 shotting everything. Sorc 1 button clearing rooms..

I'm sorry, I love diablo. But you guys put to much faith is blizzards ability to balance a classes. Cause i have yet to see it
Reply Quote
Balance is rather likely to be marginal at release. Expect numbers on skills to bounce around a bit with each patch for months, if not years after release. Choosing a class based on which one has the biggest numbers at the moment is only going to work out for you if you don't mind re-rolling each patch.

In the longer term, only the general themes are going to hold. The Demon Hunter is always going to have pretty good, sustainable ranged damage. The Witch Doctor will probably do more damage over a long fight (as very efficient DoTs stack up); the Wizard will probably have bigger bursts (and do less during the downtime). The Demon Hunter will end up somewhere in between, with a more sustained pace and a stronger 0-resource punch.

The DH also has the best mobility of any of the ranged classes; paired with lots of movement control, it's the ideal class for poking and kiting. Witch Doctors have pets to distract enemies, and Wizards have a good number of skills to help them tank hits; Demon Hunters are definitely the class for people who never want to get hit at all.

Toss in some toys and you have the class. That's not going to change through balance updates. If you want to kite enemies and deal a pretty constant stream of damage, the Demon Hunter is going to be for you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]