Diablo® III

Skill swapping is too easy/fast

The current system of swapping skills out for others is way too flexible. With the current system there is no permanence to your decisions.

In example, you fight your way through hordes of demons with "Cleave", then from experience you know there's about to be an impending boss fight so you swap out your "Cleave" for "Frenzy", take care of the boss, then back to "Cleave".

This allows the player to have any skill they want within 15 seconds, as long as the skill they're swapping out isn't on cooldown. Personally, I feel this grants way too much freedom in the choices you have to make in Diablo. I think there should be some permanence when it comes to skill swapping, so I offer this alternative.

New Skill Changing System:

-You can only swap skills in town.
-There is a 5 minute cooldown between skill swaps.
-You will press "Save" to trigger your skills being swapped out and initiating the cooldown timer.
-There will be an area that you can enter, containing dummies and granting you the ability to swap skills freely. (For testing)
-When you leave the testing area, all of the cooldowns will still have been ticking down according to their original clocks and you will still have your skills that you had prior to entering the test zone.

I believe this will add a slight challenge to this game and will offer players the possibility of remorse. Albeit a bad feeling, players like myself enjoy the lingering possibility of feeling it.

Feel free to +1 if you agree with this and of course -1 if you disagree.

Thanks
Edited by BLATBLATBLAT on 3/27/2012 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
This is what they devised the Naphalem Valor Buff for which is a good compromise, where you are rewarded rather than feel annoyed by having to go to town or wait on a long cd.
Reply Quote
03/27/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Pereg
This is what they devised the Naphalem Valor Buff for which is a good compromise, where you are rewarded rather than feel annoyed by having to go to town or wait on a long cd.

This is true, but the buff only kicks in at 60.

Saying the Naphalem Valor Buff is solving the problem is implying that the game starts at 60. I prefer not to look at it like that and have a lot of fun during the leveling process.
Reply Quote
03/27/2012 09:49 AMPosted by BLATBLATBLAT

Saying the Naphalem Valor Buff is solving the problem is implying that the game starts at 60. I prefer not to look at it like that and have a lot of fun during the leveling process.

what's the inconvenience with being able to switch skills easily then? it's not like it's taking away the fun from you, you can always not switch if you feel it's better for you.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Hunter
03/27/2012 09:53 AMPosted by PieFlavor

what's the inconvenience with being able to switch skills easily then? it's not like it's taking away the fun from you, you can always not switch if you feel it's better for you.

^This

Put your own restrictions into play...I realize it will be tough, and you will be tempted to swap things out, but really...not everybody feels this way. Limit yourself, not the entire community.
Reply Quote
03/27/2012 09:53 AMPosted by PieFlavor

^This

Put your own restrictions into play...I realize it will be tough, and you will be tempted to swap things out, but really...not everybody feels this way. Limit yourself, not the entire community.
I'm not going to try to explain the enjoyment I get from being restricted, but I'll provide an example.

Would you rather have the game have a .add 100000 gold option or not? You wouldn't because that would make the game too easy. In the same way that having any skill you want whenever makes the game too easy.

In response to the hunter, would you want the ability to have an exotic pet, but have the ability to swap to Chimera shot and then Black arrow during combat?

Regardless, clearly blizzard agrees with the gesture of not wanting too much freedom in skill swapping, so I'll stick to my guns with this one.
Reply Quote
I have to disagree. I like the current skill system :)
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
03/27/2012 09:49 AMPosted by BLATBLATBLAT

Before 60 you're still learning new spells and runes. You SHOULD be able to switch more freely before then.
Reply Quote
Skill + affix

This alone will make constant skill swapping a BAD idea, your first run through Normal difficulty, you will have a good amount of freedom to experiment, Nightmare you will be forced to start to keep a focus due to your gear, Hell and Inferno you will be required to keep a solid build, or get new gear to support your swap.

And NV at end game will also reinforce this as well.
Reply Quote
03/27/2012 10:08 AMPosted by ChuckNasty

Okay, you're entitled to your opinion.
03/27/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Cogwheel

Before 60 you're still learning new spells and runes. You SHOULD be able to switch more freely before then.

Yes, switching in town, not in combat.
03/27/2012 10:11 AMPosted by D3BETA
Once I get all my rune abilities and spells I wont ever be switching out. If I cant handle every situation with the build I make then it isnt a build worth having.

This is what I'm trying to promote.
Skill + affix

This alone will make constant skill swapping a BAD idea, your first run through Normal difficulty, you will have a good amount of freedom to experiment, Nightmare you will be forced to start to keep a focus due to your gear, Hell and Inferno you will be required to keep a solid build, or get new gear to support your swap.

Switching from cleave to frenzy in no way requires gear swapping, unless there is an attack speed cap that you reached with frenzy. Even then it's not absolutely necessary to swap out gear for that.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
There are a lot of people who feel that because they enjoy a certain style of play, everyone else should be forced to play the same way.
If you enjoy not swapping skills, don't. Other people swapping their skills doesn't affect you at all.
Also, as has been mentioned, the idea is to encourage experimentation. You cannot simultaneously encourage experimentation and discourage on-the-fly min-maxing behavior. The cooldown is a good compromise in that direction, however.
Honestly, I can't see people changing skills all of the time anyway. It's much more fun to find a build you like and perfect your execution. But, each to their own. If I see someone constantly changing their build, I'll just shake my head in bemusement, and move on.
Reply Quote
solve a rubix cube everytime you change a skill if it makes you happier.

/sips coffee
Reply Quote
03/27/2012 10:20 AMPosted by BLATBLATBLAT

Okay, you're entitled to your opinion.

Once I get all my rune abilities and spells I wont ever be switching out. If I cant handle every situation with the build I make then it isnt a build worth having.

This is what I'm trying to promote.
Skill + affix

Switching from cleave to frenzy in no way requires gear swapping, unless there is an attack speed cap that you reached with frenzy. Even then it's not absolutely necessary to swap out gear for that.

What if you have a +cleave affix on a piece of gear, that say increases the damage by 50%, or adds double the range?

All of the sudden, Frenzy is a much less appealing option.
Reply Quote
to the OP, I direct you to this thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4241234476#1
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/27/2012 10:20 AMPosted by BLATBLATBLAT

Assuming you don't move too far from the portal, TP -> Swap -> TP is actually faster than Swap -> wait for CD.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
03/27/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Cogwheel

False dichotomy. Being out of town doesn't mean you're in combat.

This is why the skill UI blocks nearly the entire field of view and that skills have a cooldown when you switch them. If you try to switch skills when you are actually in combat, you'll find yourself dead pretty quick, and if not, at least unable to use one of your skills for 15 sec.
Edited by Cogwheel on 3/27/2012 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Maybe on normal mode. I'd expect as you work up to Inferno, you might want to adjust your skills/runes based on your group make up. You might want to try to synergize better with other class builds.

Having to go to town to change a rune/skill or putting a 5min cd skill switching to get situated for the group dynamics isn't gonna make me feel more invested in my build or more skilled.
Reply Quote
Restrict yourself. Don't force your views onto others who don't share them.

Nothing stopping you from playing the game YOUR way.

If there was a 100,000 gold button I would use it. Then i would buy up all the items on the GAH then resell them on the RMAH. But that would effect others and their game.

What you are wanting is to change how your game feels and is played. Which btw you can play the game you want and have all that you are suggesting. Just keep it to yourself.

If others wish to change and try different things, this has no effect on you or your game experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]