Diablo® III

AcidBat Witch Doctor

In order for Vision Quest to work well you will always need to have 4 abilities on cool down. If you think Mass confuse will work as a CC and BBV will be able to be used at important times your wrong. You will have to always have MC and BBV on cool down. Using abilities like hex, Grasp of the dead, Soul Harvest, and Spirit Walk are abilities that you can keep on CD and not really have to worry about if you used them at the right time. Or you can have some other type of mana regen in your build so you don't have to rely on VQ 100% of the time.
Reply Quote
You should really add poison dart over corpse bomb.
The fire bats are so mana intensive in-game with and without mana regenerative abilities so you would be OOM regardless of those little perks.
Cool build nonetheless.
Reply Quote
I was thinking (I know its a bad thing to do) but what i said about BBV could be very wrong if monster packs take a long of time to kill. Even if you don't get to pop BBV right at the start of the fight if monster packs in inferno take even just a minute to kill BBV should be used every other fight. Also if elite mobs (packs) take 2 or more minutes to kill you will also be able to use BBV at some point during the fight. Sorry for being a dumb !@#.
Reply Quote
@oonsar
In order for Vision Quest to work well you will always need to have 4 abilities on cool down. If you think Mass confuse will work as a CC and BBV will be able to be used at important times your wrong. You will have to always have MC and BBV on cool down. Using abilities like hex, Grasp of the dead, Soul Harvest, and Spirit Walk are abilities that you can keep on CD and not really have to worry about if you used them at the right time. Or you can have some other type of mana regen in your build so you don't have to rely on VQ 100% of the time.

I addressed that problem with Mass Confusion in the OP. It has a very long cooldown for a CC spell. Still, from my impressions, I think the fights will be spaced apart quite a bit. Events in the open beta definitely took a minute or so.

I dislike Hex because it is unreliable, and I refuse to use Spirit Walk because I cannot benefit from it while casting. I did consider Grasp of the Dead and Wall of Zombies as CC spells, and if it looks like I need a spammable CC spell, then I will get it. Soul Harvest was also discussed extensively.

Big Bad Voodoo is 20 seconds of virtually unlimited casting. And I would imagine that +300% mana regeneration (assuming that phrasing remains the same, it means you are regenerating mana at four times the normal rate) will be sufficient with some mana regeneration from your items.

Oh. I just read your second post. Haha.

@Tazz
You should really add poison dart over corpse bomb.
The fire bats are so mana intensive in-game with and without mana regenerative abilities so you would be OOM regardless of those little perks.
Cool build nonetheless.

It's a Vision Quest build. Oo"

Keep in mind that the base mana regeneration is 20 per second. With Vision Quest active, you regenerate 80 mana per second. If I bump it up to 30 per second, I can sustainably cast one Firebat every second.

Anyhow, if I am taking a spell over BBV, it will be Soul Harvest, Wall of Zombies, or Fetish Army, not Poison Dart.
Edited by Suzut on 4/12/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
and I refuse to use Spirit Walk because I cannot benefit from it while casting

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch-doctor/active/spirit-walk

The casting limitation was removed
Reply Quote
04/12/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Vaaz
and I refuse to use Spirit Walk because I cannot benefit from it while casting

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch-doctor/active/spirit-walk

The casting limitation was removed

HOT DAMN. EDITED.

So I added Spirit Walk (Honored Guest). I also revised the build to use Acid Cloud (Kiss of Death), as well as Soul Harvest (Siphon). Basically, the Witch Doctor can initiate his encounters by firing off a few Firebats, walking up to drop Acid Cloud and Soul Harvest, and then backing away by using Spirit Walk. This damages the Witch Doctor's enemies, heals him, procs Bad Medicine, regenerates 30% of his mana, and activates Vision Quest.

If Vision Quest turns out to be enough to sustain the entire build, then I may use Spirit Walk (Jaunt) instead for more time.
Edited by Suzut on 4/12/2012 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A build I would use for sure, Only things I would play around with would be Leaching beasts or life link to play around with more survivability

And/or vampire bats instead of dire.
Reply Quote
Nah. I LOVE the Dire Bats. They turn the spell from "Teeth" to a "Bone Spear" spell. =D

I'm not entirely sure how useful Leeching Beasts would be. 4.5% weapon damage heal to your dogs and 2.25% heal to you doesn't sound like a lot.
Edited by Suzut on 4/13/2012 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump for release.
Reply Quote
Pretty neat looking build, but I wonder if dogs are worth it without sacrifice. I'm thinking Big Stinker alone might be nice.

The other thing is both of your nukes are expensive. If it didn't work out, though, I might switch out dogs for darts.
Edited by MaSuprema#1341 on 5/15/2012 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@MaSuprema

From my experiences playing, I have found out three things:
1) Sacrifice is worthless, but it is true that Zombie Dogs are mediocre at best, especially without lots of vitality; I would try to do a 2:3 ratio of VIT to INT. I might cut them eventually, but I need to get into late Inferno to see how they hold up.
2) Mana is not a problem with high mana regeneration stats on your mask and knife, as well as a Templar with the Inspire ability. With Vision Quest up, you are easily regenerating a hundred mana per second.

Furthermore, the time between fights is a good pace, and Mass Confusion has proven itself amazingly good, especially when the mobs start hitting tougher. I currently take it over Spirit Walk as a combo enabler; Spirit Walk doesn't last long enough and is useless most of the time, since your Gargantuan and Templar are virtually unkillable with Jungle Fortitude and Bad Medicine.

Also, I discovered that a Soul Drain of zero will not remove the charges from your last Soul Drain. So Soul to Waste, not Siphon, is the rune for this build, as you can just burn your Soul Drain twice.

Keeping this in mind, I have come up with this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cidjYT!ZcU!aYYaaY

You use your minions to wall for you. Run up and do Kiss of Death, Soul Drain, and Mass Confusion. Then spam the crap out of them with Firebats. Your Soul Drain is good for 60 seconds, and your Mass Confusion comes up in 45 seconds, so you will always have Soul Drain stacks or a ready Mass Confusion in a big fight.
Edited by Suzut#1931 on 5/17/2012 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So I updated the OP again. This is likely the final prototype build. If anyone is in Inferno, feel free to test it. I am up and coming, so any advice in advance would be appreciated.
Edited by Suzut#1931 on 5/17/2012 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not 40 yet however I am interested in a vision quest type of build. Wondering what u think of changing dogs to spirit walk for 3 seconds.

Also, i understand the focus on poison but is the passive necessary? I was leaning towards Pierce the veil, jungle fortitude, vision quest.

Yet I don't know if fire bats is still spamable if u opt for pierce the veil. I really like spirit walk lol. I primarily play with groups so yeah. Any advice? I'm only 36 right now so I can't wait!

Edit: here is what I'd want to run http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cijUdT!UWV!aaaaZZ
Edited by kensanity#1609 on 5/17/2012 8:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not 40 yet however I am interested in a vision quest type of build. Wondering what u think of changing dogs to spirit walk for 3 seconds.

Also, i understand the focus on poison but is the passive necessary? I was leaning towards Pierce the veil, jungle fortitude, vision quest.

Yet I don't know if fire bats is still spamable if u opt for pierce the veil. I really like spirit walk lol. I primarily play with groups so yeah. Any advice? I'm only 36 right now so I can't wait!

If you're going to drop the Zombie Dogs, then yeah, you can also drop the Bad Medicine. In fact, this sort of becomes a Spirit build.

Like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gcUdXT!ZWU!ZcabYZ

You Spirit Walk up to a group of monsters and pop Soul Harvest and Horrify. You then burn them down with Firebats. Pick off ranged enemies with Soul Barrage (which can be changed for Acid Cloud (Corpse Explosion)).

If you want them to run away for you to use Firebats (Dire Bats), switch Horrify's rune to Phobia (or use Mass Confusion (Unstable Realm)) and Soul Harvest to Soul to Waste. which brings me to another point. If you're 36, try this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ghUdXT!ZWf!ZZaZaZ

This is more traditional. The opening is the same, except you want them to run like headless chickens; in the build above, you want them to stay relatively close for the Cloud of Bats. Spirit Barrage until you're out of mana. Use Firebomb until the mana regeneration accumulated by Rush of Essence refills you.

At 40, switch to this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cSUdXT!ZWU!aaaZaZ

EDIT: Your build looks fine, but if you're using Acid Rain as a DoT, you might as well do Locust Swarm. Furthermore, you can use Mass Confusion, but with only a Gargantuan and your Templar tanking without Bad Medicine, I feel Horrify is a better deal.
Edited by Suzut#1931 on 5/17/2012 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]