Diablo® III

Crit build DH

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZRYTX!ZeT!ccYcZc
Reply Quote
Yet again, I see someone misusing the skill calculator.
Reply Quote
Man I see people like you all the time... you can change to elective mode and put skills anywhere you want. Don't always have to be restricted to calculator categories....
Reply Quote
Actually he did use elective mode...
Reply Quote
04/01/2012 10:57 PMPosted by Captain

This is like the third time I have seen you make that statement. You are spreading misinformation. Elective Mode (accessible in the options menu) allows you to make the build you want, with only the primary attack being restricted (and those restrictions are reflected in the calculator).
Reply Quote
04/01/2012 10:57 PMPosted by Captain

Youre not the sharpest knife in the drawer, eh?
Reply Quote
perhaps i could just switch the rune on the smoke screen to the one that lowers the discipline cost?
Reply Quote
I don't like sharpshooter in this setup. It's almost counter productive. Lets assume you can stack a reasonable amount of crit on your own gear along with your other skills, then you will be critting often enough that sharpshooter will only ever be handing you a couple of points. I don't have math on this, but similar skills in other games function this same way. Sharpshooter is better in builds that use little crit overall, because then they can ultimately gain a large amount of crit from it.

I think Perfectionist or Night Stalker would be the better choice, since your build is, as Otter said, very Discipline heavy.

Also, which weapon type would you be using with for Archery. Crossbow or Hand Bow?
Reply Quote
I don't like sharpshooter in this setup. It's almost counter productive. Lets assume you can stack a reasonable amount of crit on your own gear along with your other skills, then you will be critting often enough that sharpshooter will only ever be handing you a couple of points. I don't have math on this, but similar skills in other games function this same way. Sharpshooter is better in builds that use little crit overall, because then they can ultimately gain a large amount of crit from it.

I think Perfectionist or Night Stalker would be the better choice, since your build is, as Otter said, very Discipline heavy.

Also, which weapon type would you be using with for Archery. Crossbow or Hand Bow?

revised build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZRYTX!ZXe!ccYcZc
I will take hand xbows, night stalker would not be as good with a crossbow
Edited by Camage on 4/2/2012 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

revised build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZRYTX!ZXe!ccYcZc
I will take hand xbows, night stalker would not be as good with a crossbow

Looks great. My only other comments are I'm kind of iffy on Companion. It's not a matter of how good I think he is in this build (he fits well as a hate generator) but I'm iffy on how good he is in general. Will just have to wait for release to tell that though.

Also, why Smoke Screen (and Choking Gas) over Vault or any other skill? Was it just personal preference for a defensive skill?
Reply Quote
I don't like sharpshooter in this setup. It's almost counter productive. Lets assume you can stack a reasonable amount of crit on your own gear along with your other skills, then you will be critting often enough that sharpshooter will only ever be handing you a couple of points.

You're not always shooting, it might make the start of engagements VERY critty. =p
Plus it adds up as fast as it goes away, hopefully smoothing out bad luck.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/2/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Im looking at something like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZYdSi!eTc!ccccZb
Also why does it randomise a build whenever you click the purple crystal?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
So is duelwielding two cross bows better for crit than just using a bow?
Reply Quote
04/03/2012 12:59 AMPosted by Sanarak
So is duelwielding two cross bows better for crit than just using a bow?

I'm going with the answer "yes".

With the Archery passive, you get a +10% Crit chance with hand x-bows.

You will also get more shots off with hand x-bows than you will a bow in the same period of time due to increased RoF, so increasing the times the crit chance is checked.
Reply Quote

The thing is that it doesn't seem to make much sense in a non-crit build. The base crit amplification is 50%, that's not really that huge, not something that I want to spend a passive slot building up to at 3% a second. Using Sharpshooter in a non-crit build is going to end up wasting its proc on something like Multishot or Chain Gang a lot of the time. When I imagine doing things with crits, it's building up my crit damage amp to over 100%, hitting someone with a Grievous Wounds Impale and doing on the order of 800% weapon damage.

At least if you're using it in a crit build, you can try to get some decent attack speed and open important fights with 100% crit on 2-3 abilities, whatever you can lay down in the course of a second.
The thing you are missing though is that outside of that first opening second or so, you are only getting at most 12% crit from sharpshooter, and a lot of times not even that. Let me throw some napkin math at you.

At the moment we don't know what end game gear is looking like, but based off of the original build posted, you will have 20% from cantrips and archery, so lets assume you have 25% crit in an open fight while in cantrops. I'd say a decent attack speed to look at would be along the lines of 1.5. Given these numbers, you will, on average, crit once ever four shots, and it will take you 2.7 seconds to shoot four times. That means in a best case scenario, you will get an additional 9% crit by time that fourth, all ready guaranteed, crit comes. And with only gaining 3% crit every second up till that point, sharpshooter isn't increasing your odds of that crit coming early by a huge amount.

And that's basing it off of only 25% crit chance! I would think end game crit could easily hit 40% or more if you are gearing for it, in which case sharpshooter is even worse! The facts are simple. Sharpshooter just isn't very good and it scales terribly the better your gear gets.

Your initial fault though is that you are looking at Sharpshooter as something other than a dps increase, which it isn't. Its never going to be a reliable enough passive to bank on getting a crit with it outside of your generators.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]