Diablo® III

Character and Item Render Quality

100 Tauren Hunter
The render quality of the characters/armor doesn't match the quality of the game (which is beautiful).

I'm not really complaining, but would rather like to bring to attention or know why there has been a change in style. I played the Beta on my brother's account, and wasn't impressed with the gear but had hope (just levels 1-13). Now I've seen tiers 2-16 and have less hope. I know that we've only seen a fraction of the gear, but it really doesn't feel like Diablo. The icons and weapons on the ground, before pickup, look better than the items when equipped. Example: Full metal plate chest hits the ground, you pick it up see the icon of metal/leather armor, equip it and it's a flat leather harness on your barbarian, colored brown.

I loved the TEXTURED armor from Diablo 2. The IK set on my barb looked like black metal. I don't understand why there is no texturing on the characters or their armor. Whether it is metal, leather or cloth the texturing is the same. There's only a difference in color. This is why everyone is saying it looks like wow armor. It's too flat. One of my favorite things about Diablo was the realistic, historical, armor styles.

I KNOW THIS IS JUST BETA. And so far the game is beautiful... But I'm really missing the medieval feel of the Diablo universe so far. And as an animation student who's made characters and has experience in texturing, I really thinks it's coming from the characters and their gear.

I'd like to know what thoughts are on this, and sorry if it's a repost. It just seems like the wow tier designers designed the Diablo gear... it just doesn't yell "Diablo".
Edited by Bullogna on 3/24/2012 12:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Have you seen some high tier armor in player point of view? It looks awesome. What you mean by only different colour? It's like that because it's the same tier. In D2 if it's the same tier than it looks exactly the same but in D3 it has different colour.
Reply Quote
I would withhold my opinion on this until we actually start seeing the items in game at higher levels. I have a hard time believing that these will be sub par when it truly comes down to it.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
I almost didn't want to say anything about it at first; I didn't feel like it would be taken seriously. However, I didn't want to get down the road to end game content and not enjoy the way my character looked. I'd rather give my critique now.

What I mean by "only a different color" is in terms of color representing a material. For example... cloth is an off white, leather is brown, and metal is grey. But there is no texture quality to differentiate between the textures, just color. (Use my portrait for example: metal is grey, bone is blue-ish/grey, hair is brown, eyes are yellow)

In diablo 2 metal had highlights and reflection hot spots on it. The rounded tops of the shoulder guards and helms appeared to have a "sheen". That has been lost in D3, along with the medieval armor feel (so far). And only having color determine texture makes it look flat. This is why people have been saying it looks like WoW.

I'm just concerned; the Diablo franchise is my favorite of all time.
Edited by Bullogna on 3/24/2012 12:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i've seen the video you're talking about with T2-16 armors and those are low-res images and they're zoomed in too, so this will undoubtedly add to a lower quality image.

in-game, however, when you're in beta and you can increase the graphical quality the armos look MUCH better.

most of those images are from the character select start up screen, and i can tell you personally that NONE of my characters have any kind of jagged edges and such that are shown in that video.

trust me, you have nothing to worry about with the low quality armor stuff. we're in good hands my friend! XD
Reply Quote
I almost didn't want to say anything about it at first; I didn't feel like it would be taken seriously. However, I didn't want to get down the road to end game content and not enjoy the way my character looked. I'd rather give my critique now.

What I mean by "only a different color" is in terms of color representing a material. For example... cloth is an off white, leather is brown, and metal is grey. But there is no texture quality to differentiate between the textures, just color. (Use my portrait for example: metal is grey, bone is blue-ish/grey, hair is brown, eyes are yellow)

In diablo 2 metal had highlights and reflection hot spots on it. The rounded tops of the shoulder guards and helms appeared to have a "sheen". That has been lost in D3, along with the medieval armor feel (so far). And only having color determine texture makes it look flat. This is why people have been saying it looks like WoW.

I'm just concerned; the Diablo franchise is my favorite of all time.

This is why I asked if you have seen it in an in game view yet? It looks awesome. Just look at this skill video http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/barbarian/active/call-of-the-ancients It has everthing you like and it doesn't look like WoW in any possible way.
Reply Quote
I agree entirely. I felt this way about the art style from the first moment I saw gameplay footage, and I'm still disappointed now.

The environment is mostly fantastic; dungeons, wilderness, caves are all highly detailed and really add to the atmosphere, but the silly cartoon characters with no depth still bug me out.

More like World of Diablocraft.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]