Diablo® III

Frost Kiting Build -- Feedback?

I put together a build designed to have a ton of control over the fight with freeze/chills.

Here is the link to the build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UZYkXf!Wcb!aYaYaY

Enchantress Follower:

- Charm: CC one enemy
- Erosion: AOE damage buff
- Mass Control: AOE CC
- Powered Armor: 5% Armor Buff with an attached 30% slow to attackers

For Ranged there will be a 90% slow on attackers if I target them:
- 30% slow on being attacked (Enchantress)
- 60% slow on Ray of Frost

For Melee, there will be the possibility of complete immobilization from slows:
- 30% slow on being hit (Enchantress)
- 25% chance of Frost Nova on being hit + Chilled/Frozen on attacked (Ice Armor)
- 60% slow from Ray of Frost
- 30% slow from Comet

I could change Ice Armor for the passive 30% melee chill if I wanted to though.

Chain Lightning with Prodigy will keep up AP, Ray of Frost will be for single target damage, and Comet will be for a quick Nuke. To a melee group, I will be able to dish out approximately (in AOE) 323% direct weapon damage + 107% weapon damage as damage over time + 50% damage over 3 seconds from Enchantress + damage from 2 Chain Lightnings in a very short amount of time to a group of targets that will be nearly totally immobilized. If one of the group dies and re-Frost Novas the group at 50% chance on death, the damage will almost double in under 10 seconds total. Melee targets will be minimized in a huge fashion this way. Diamond Skin is thrown in to take hits for slow effects without taking damage and as a general defensive cool down.

Let me know what you think.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/23/2012 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Maybe ice armor AND diamond skin is a little bit too much considering you already have frost nova, and you will slow your targets with almost every single attack.

Here is my frost build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlkQYf!YWf!ZZYYca

Instead of diamond skin, i have teleport with fracture. It basically does the same job (saving you in those Oh !@#$ moments), but Imo it's useful in more situations.

I also put the low cost rune on ray of frost in order to get rid of electrocute as the cheap spell, and added blizzard to the empty slot.
Sure it will cost alot of arcane, but trowing 1 blizzard and 1 meteor is better than 2 meteors (as the meteor will arrive while blizzard is active, doing better burst damages than just 2 meteors, also meteor alone have more chance to miss), or 2 blizzard (since they don't stack).
Edited by Obliterator on 3/23/2012 9:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think your build is the offensive/damage version of my build. I didn't take Blizzard because it will be difficult to fit the damage of it inside the duration of a casted Frost Nova. For my build, I am attempting to chain Frost Nova melee groups.

A big component to my build is being able to
Diamond Skin (run in) --> Frost Nova --> Comet --> Chain Lightning (+24 AP) --> Chain Lightning (+24 AP) --> Comet.

This rotation will give big damage, extreme crowd control, and a lot of AP regen. I didn't think I would need 2 different AOE spells that were big AP spenders. Instead, having Chain Lightning will allow me to nuke with Comet more often and time it to coincide with Frost Nova casts and procs of Frost Nova off of Ice Armor. I don't think I'd be able to use Comet/Blizzard together enough because of extreme AP limitations (especially with no active AP regen).

Even though you may be able to do Blizzard --> Comet or the reverse, over a period of time during a moderately long fight, I will get far more Comets off on my targets than you will be able to Blizzard/Comet combo. Blizzard + Comet = 105 AP in your build.....without active regen you will be looking at large gaps between castings where you will be left only with a single target spell. In my build, I will be able to regenerate 24 AP while waiting for Comet to land effectively reducing the impact of the cost of the Comet itself.

Beyond that, you have to then save AP to even be able to use Teleport in emergency situations. Another reason I take Diamond Skin over Teleport is because a big chunk of my build relies on getting hit; Diamond Skin allows me to get hit but not take damage. Teleport is counterproductive to my build. Diamond Skin will actively be used in my build as something much more than simply a bailout. When Diamond Skin is up, I can seek out some melee attackers to get them to give me a free Frost Nova.

Finally, Chain Lightning is very important when I run into cold resist and ranged enemies. You have to have some measure of diversity in spell type, and Chain Lightning is the only spell between both of our builds that can be spammed on any enemy within range. regardless of melee in between the target and my wizard.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/23/2012 10:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like this built.

Personally I would take Chilling Aura with Ice armour, just in case anything manages to get close and gives more uptime to Cold Blooded.

Also, I think that Astral Presense is ALWAYS better than Protigy. To me, 2 AP per second always sounds a lot better than 4 AP per Signature spells. And in addition you get 20 Max AP as an extra bonus.

PS. I used to hate Diamond Skin, but now that the duration is 6 seconds, it looks awesome.
Edited by Lythos on 3/24/2012 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
< I didn't take Blizzard because it will be difficult to fit the damage of it inside the duration of a casted Frost Nova. For my build, I am attempting to chain Frost Nova melee groups.

If you take blizzard with frozen solid you don't even need to use frost nova. Also, the cooldown on frost nova is like 12 secs, it's not that long but you'll still have 9 seconds of dead time running around instead of dealing real damages. Remember that if your enemies are not frozen/slowed it will be a little bit harder to hit with your comet.

A big component to my build is being able to
Diamond Skin (run in) --> Frost Nova --> Comet --> Chain Lightning (+24 AP) --> Chain Lightning (+24 AP) --> Comet.
Eve

If instead you go blizzard + comet + spam ray of frost, you'll deal more or less the same amount of damage. And as for the regen, at high level you can be sure that you will have enough passive regen to cycle it easily.

Beyond that, you have to then save AP to even be able to use Teleport in emergency situations. Another reason I take Diamond Skin over Teleport is because a big chunk of my build relies on getting hit; Diamond Skin allows me to get hit but not take damage. Teleport is counterproductive to my build. Diamond Skin will actively be used in my build as something much more than simply a bailout. When Diamond Skin is up, I can seek out some melee attackers to get them to give me a free Frost Nova.

If you use diamond skin and frost nova for offense, you wont have it to save you in emergency situation. Since i'll use blizzard instead of frost nova and diamond skin in order to land my comets, I will always have frost nova for the oh !@#$ moments ( also I put chilling aura on frost armor). But the most important thing is that it's a frost build; the enemies are not even supposed to get to you.

Finally, Chain Lightning is very important when I run into cold resist and ranged enemies.
Cold resistant monster will only take a little bit more time to kill. It's not like d2 where you have immunes...

I think that overall, your build is good, but you'll always be putting yourself in danger...
Edited by Obliterator on 3/24/2012 10:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Obliterator
That's true. Like I said in another thread, you have the offensive version of this build. This build is meant to have a ridiculous amount of defense and ability to survive with a few offensive synergies.

03/24/2012 06:08 AMPosted by Lythos
Also, I think that Astral Presense is ALWAYS better than Protigy. To me, 2 AP per second always sounds a lot better than 4 AP per Signature spells. And in addition you get 20 Max AP as an extra bonus.

This is something I wish to clear up. Is Prodigy 4 AP per cast regardless of spell, or is it 4 AP every time damage is done? I ask because if it is per damage done, Chain Lightning does damage to 6 possible targets per cast. If this is the case, Prodigy makes more sense. If it is not, I'd agree with Astral Presence.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/24/2012 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote

This is something I wish to clear up. Is Prodigy 4 AP per cast regardless of spell, or is it 4 AP every time damage is done? I ask because if it is per damage done, Chain Lightning does damage to 6 possible targets per cast. If this is the case, Prodigy makes more sense. If it is not, I'd agree with Astral Presence.

No one can know this yet. We would need a blue post to make it clear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]