Diablo® III

Sentry DH Build

First of all, this build is based on the assumption that multiple sentries can be placed at once. I think this may be the case (unlike Hydra) because it does not specifically state that only one sentry can be out at a time. If they do restrict sentries, then this build is completely useless...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bRYVkQ!UcY!aZaaZb

***With Custom Engineering and Vigilant Watcher rune, sentries will stay out for 60 seconds)

The main strategy behind this build is to get as many sentries out as possible and keep them out. With standard discipline regen, this build should be able to maintain anywhere from 7-20 sentries at any given time (20 only in extremely ideal situations).

You start the battle by laying 3 sentries, casting preparation (with invigoration) and then place 4 more. Right off the bat, you will have 7 sentries for 1 minute shooting for 140% weapon damage (7 x 20%). You then hit your enemies with entangling shot (crowd control and also increases damage due to Cull the Weak). Your main hatred spender, multishot (with suppression fire for more discipline) should be cast repeatedly at mobs. As multishot hits and you gain more discipline, cast additional sentries. For single target DPS, use elemental arrow (frost for slow synergy and crowd control). If you get in trouble, lay a caltrops and run while your sentries do work.

After 30 seconds, you should be able to cast 3 additional sentries from just your standard discipline regen. This will bring your total sentries to 10 (not counting any multishot sentries you were able to cast). At 45 seconds, you can cast invigoration again allowing you to summon 4 more sentries giving you 14+ sentries for 15 seconds (before your original 7 go away).

I think this could be a fun build if you like kiting and traps. Another positive with this build, is that you can achieve all the skills and runes needed by level 40 (fairly low lvl to achieve for end-game specs). I am not sure if the sentries will attack with your weapon speed or if there is a standard speed; if it is standard, then you obviously would want to go with crossbows for the increased damage. Let me know what you think (I haven't played Beta, so any advice would be appreciated).
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Warrior
Steady Aim, does it work for the Sentry? In Diablo 2 the Facets and other things that would increase lightning damage actually didn't apply to the traps because they were considered "minions" or so I was told. Same thing with Cull of the Weak, would that apply to the Sentry?
Reply Quote
Nothing ever confirmed that you could only have one sentry out at a time, but I kind of just assumed that. It just seems like too much of a passive autoshoot ability for Blizzard to allow you to revolve your entire build around it.
Reply Quote
http://www.diablowiki.net/Sentry

A Blue stated it functions much like the Hydra. Of course, you can speculate what that means, and there's still no confirmation of how many Sentries can be active at once.

In it's current form, I would expect you can have more than one. 20% weapon damage does not seem like an efficient use of discipline, even though the turret does last a while.
Reply Quote
Well, it costs 10 Discipline and deals low damage. It would be pretty useless if you could only plant one. Unfortunately, the language for some of the rune abilities, like the tether, imply that there will only be one. =(
Reply Quote
I also would like to see a confirmation from blizzard regarding this, and certain pets.

With regards to your build, I dont think you want a fight to last longer than 30 seconds. Diablo fights are typicaly much shorter. If your stuck in one spot for 60 seconds, your killing slow. Sentry build might be a high survivability build at the harder difficulties when your playing solo, but if your grouped, your group members will have killed everything and moved on long before 30 seconds.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the replies. To address some of the points mentioned above: Steady Aim/Cull of the Week, while nice for the sentries, would also greatly help the DH damage. With elemental arrow and multi shot essentially spammable, I really like the bump that is gives to my DH DPS. With 14 sentries firing as well, I think you will make quick work of a room of monsters

Hydra specifically states only one at a time, while sentry does not. Also, Hydra is more powerful than sentry. Of course I am unsure if you can place unlimited sentries, this build is just assuming that you can

That's what I am hoping too. With such little damage and high discipline cost, you would think you would have to be able to have multiple out at a time

As far as killing speed, this build will not be tops. However, I think with 7 sentries and you spamming multi shot and elemental arrow, you should still be able to clear rooms pretty quickly. Also, this build is meant for kiting which should pay dividends at later difficulty levels. It might not shine as much in normal (not that you should be at level 40 in normal anyways)
Reply Quote
I also would like to see a confirmation from blizzard regarding this, and certain pets.

With regards to your build, I dont think you want a fight to last longer than 30 seconds. Diablo fights are typicaly much shorter. If your stuck in one spot for 60 seconds, your killing slow. Sentry build might be a high survivability build at the harder difficulties when your playing solo, but if your grouped, your group members will have killed everything and moved on long before 30 seconds.

Boss fights will be longer which would make sentry an intriguing spell. If there is a fast moving boss that is immune to disables, sentries would become invaluable. You could simply drop a bunch in a circle and then focus on outrunning the boss rather than shooting at him. It might not be the fastest strategy, but it would certainly be safer and it could still end up doing decent damage if you would have to pursue a hit and run tactic otherwise.
Reply Quote
I was looking at a similar build, but the rune that looked intriguing to me was Chain of Torment. Assuming you can have multiple Sentry's down (40 second duration each with the passive) multiple chains hitting for 40% wep dmg each every second might be good.

Not sure how this would look, but I assume a chain would be visibly connected between the Sentry and the DH, which would allow you to vault into position to ensure max targets are getting hit by it. With 5+ out that could be some nice sustained DPS, you would just have to kite around to ensure the chains positions are maximized.
Reply Quote
I'm willing to bet that you can only have one sentry at a time. All of the other summoning moves in the game that give you a limited duration "pet" only allow one at a time. Plus you'd think something like having multiple sentries out at once would have been shown in the official video.

Don't let me ruin your speculation though, I agree that's a very fascinating idea if you could have multiple sentries at once, insane constant, reliable dps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]