Diablo® III

Is *Anyone* Happy About Runes on Rails?

This wall of text is so big that it bleeds into the ceiling and makes it way to and down the opposite wall.

That said, I'm glad I read it. Verbose as it is, this guy speaks the truth.

Thanks. Sorry for the wall of text. I know people on the internet just abhor reading anything other than three lines of sentences.

But, it had to be said.

It wasn't a wall of text at all:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wall%20of%20text

Well, I don't care how many weeks it'll take to pros to be all the content. They'll do at their own pace and i will on mine. The aim is play normal very slowly while savoring all the lore, visuals and taking the times to get used to the mechanics of D3. Only after that I'll start on the other difficultys going slowly as well because I'll be playing almost exclusively hc. For me the only purpose here is to have FUN. As long as we're all having a great time playing, each person at their own pace, that's what matters.
Edited by Ravlaor on 3/30/2012 10:05 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin

This wall of text is so big that it bleeds into the ceiling and makes it way to and down the opposite wall.

That said, I'm glad I read it. Verbose as it is, this guy speaks the truth.

Thanks. Sorry for the wall of text. I know people on the internet just abhor reading anything other than three lines of sentences.

But, it had to be said.

Don't be sorry! Probably one of the best posts I've seen yet since I've been in beta! Probably should even be its own thread starter heh.
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm perfectly fine with it. Now I don't have to hunt down runes so I can focus on getting my gear and experimenting thus have much more time to hack through demons which is my favorite part of any game.
60 Undead Death Knight
03/30/2012 06:53 AMPosted by Zane
^ Do you guys really get taken up with this rhetoric? That British spokesperson for Warhammer was the most enthusiastic, possible junkie ever, and Warhammer online turned out to be mediocre at best, in spite of the thousands of "It's gonna be AWESOME!!11"

I personnaly think Warhammer online is a great game,in fact the best mmo i have played to date.Not everyone thinks the way you do.And yes it AWESOME.
03/30/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Caramelo
Bash, is the dificulty of Inferno all the same? I mean, during all four Acts mobs will be 61 and bosses/elites 61+ or we will have a lighter Act I and then harder Act II, III and IV?This could be a problem 'cause, if all dificulty is the same, Act I will be the hardest, 'cause you have to beat it with Hell gear only. But on the other hand, if Act I is easier than the other acts I wouldn't feel like farming Act III, IV since Act I, II are easier.

I remember reading somewhere that as you progress through inferno the monster levels get higher, meaning the gap between you (stuck on 60) and monsters gets wider & wider. towards the end of inferno they might be 20-30 levels higher than you.

edit: making the game almost impossible to finish, it's a proper "end game" peoples
Edited by Sollan on 3/30/2012 10:16 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Priest
All the other points aside, I don't see how 'Runes on Rails' is not a serious detriment to hardcore players.

I'm not even a hardcore enthusiast, but the idea of having the same skill/rune unlock path every time I re-roll due to death seems....well, it seems like the opposite of everything that is good about the randomization of the Diablo series.

It's certainly a tenable system for softcore players, who will eventually have every option at their disposal. But for hardcore, where you are replaying Normal with the same class repeatedly? This is a situation in which the system honestly does seem to result in less customization than even the 'illusion of choice' systems.
All the other points aside, I don't see how 'Runes on Rails' is not a serious detriment to hardcore players.

I'm not even a hardcore enthusiast, but the idea of having the same skill/rune unlock path every time I re-roll due to death seems....well, it seems like the opposite of everything that is good about the randomization of the Diablo series.

It's certainly a tenable system for softcore players, who will eventually have every option at their disposal. But for hardcore, where you are replaying Normal with the same class repeatedly? This is a situation in which the system honestly does seem to result in less customization than even the 'illusion of choice' systems.

Ideally, you aren't supposed to die on hardcore.

Harcore's not about blowing the game up in 2 days and rolf-stomping every damn pack that comes in your way. It's first a test of survival. That's your first and utmost priority coupled with killing speed. And even that you have to accept that you may well end up dying anyway and have to reroll.
Bash is such a troll, sometimes. He conveniently sidestepped some of the OP's most poignant points. All this talk of 'experimentation' and 'trying out things you normally wouldn't' only applies if you plan to only have 1 char of each class. Seriously, by the time you level your 3rd or 4th Wizard, how much experimentation do you really need to do? You've levelled 3 of them, I think it's safe to assume that you already know how that skill works and how this rune works. Experimentation can be done on the first playthrough with each class; all this system does is to make subsequent playthroughs boring as hell (until you reach Inferno).

Rune ranks were never customization, it was a gradual power increase dictated by drop chance.

And this is just great. This sentence is the most accurate description of the item-hunt game: a gradual power increase dictated by drop chance. Yet when it is applied to rune ranks, it somehow doesn't count as 'customization'. I guess gear doesn't count as customization as well, since it's just "a gradual power increase dictated by drop chance".

One last quote:
(...)it's actually fun to be forced to try other effects(...)

Yes, in the first couple of playthroughs, maybe. But after a year of two, I don't want to be forced to use things I already know; I just want to play as the character I want.

And a final word: this isn't WoW; it's not a "the fun only starts at max level" type of game. Or at least it shouldn't be. The levelling process was rendered utterly boring by this rune system.
And don't even get me started on what it does to HC.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/30/2012 10:24 AM PDT

Didn't the D2 HC players have to experience the same skill progression every time they replayed? it wasn't like they could try out a level 30 skill a few levels in.
03/30/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Bashiok

Gunna hold you to your word on this. Literally weeks before anyone in the world beats Act 1 Inferno.

Ok, ok, well I don't underestimate our players, potentially not weeks for Act 1. I'd bet on weeks for Act 2, though.

OMD, does that mean maggot lair is back? V_V
03/30/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Caramelo
Bash, is the dificulty of Inferno all the same? I mean, during all four Acts mobs will be 61 and bosses/elites 61+ or we will have a lighter Act I and then harder Act II, III and IV?This could be a problem 'cause, if all dificulty is the same, Act I will be the hardest, 'cause you have to beat it with Hell gear only. But on the other hand, if Act I is easier than the other acts I wouldn't feel like farming Act III, IV since Act I, II are easier.

All inferno mobs are 61. Bash is saying you'll be stuck on Act 1 and Act 2 b/c you can't go straight to act 3 or anything else. You have to beat inferno in order just like all the other difficulties.
So if your favorite area to farm is Act 3 you'll have to get there via progression to be able to farm it in inferno. Eventually your gear will make this process easier, but if Blizz has balanced it correctly then the amount of time this takes will be (hopefully) months.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/30/2012 10:26 AM PDT

Harcore's not about blowing the game up in 2 days and rolf-stomping every damn pack that comes in your way. It's first a test of survival. That's your first and utmost priority coupled with killing speed. And even that you have to accept that you may well end up dying anyway and have to reroll.

And that's a risk you take. If you are going to complain about it, don't play hardcore?

I agree with you. It wasn't my intention to sound "whiny" at all.
03/30/2012 04:48 AMPosted by D3BETA
It's amusing that you just immediately consider yourself a 'skillful' player, with no metric against which to judge yourself.

Because I think differently and already have my Team assembled for D3 and we are all dedicated players that think strategically. See you in the Arena.

...and Blizzard doesn't have "dedicated players that think strategically" and pre-assembled teams testing the higher difficulties?

It's going to be hilarious when the forums are FLOODED with QQ posts after release from tons of self-declared "expert" players whining about how the higher difficulties "aren't fair", "are cheap", etc...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]