Diablo® III

Is *Anyone* Happy About Runes on Rails?

Specifically, people in D2 did Diablo runs, Mephisto runs, Pindleskin runs, Pit runs, Baal runs, etc. because the loot in Diablo is extremely random. Even though the theoretical best items might come from the later Acts, well-rolled items from earlier acts will still be better. Internally we find sometimes after an intense session of brutally hard Inferno it can be really fun to cruise through Hell Act III or IV and it’s not too uncommon surprise when an upgrade drops. We expect this to carry through to Inferno difficulty where somebody who can theoretically farm Act IV will likely still enjoy romping through Act I simply because the drop potential is still there. It’s all because of the highly random items having lots of overlap in their power distribution curves.

yes. this. this is why i play games like this.

i play for a challenge in games like this and in MMOs and in any games with progressive loots systems... but... i also play to get better gear so i can go back to previous points in the game and stomp their !@#$ into the ground with my superior gear. That'll show those cheeky bastards for giving me such a hard time previously.

if i can potentially get rewards for going back to those older areas. cool. all the more fun.

so yea, very nice news Bashiok.
made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only. It felt wrong to make ALL of Inferno that brutally hard.

: (
I have finals in May.
Edited by Lsuichan on 3/30/2012 2:00 PM PDT
03/30/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Tarian
Any comp sci undergrad worth their weight could build the core of the system in a few hours, and then the art/ui team could spend a handful of days pretty'ing it up.

You forgot there's a lengthy test/tweak/fix cycle that only a crazy person would skip after effecting major system changes. That would probably add up to, I don't know, maybe a several weeks worth?
damnit. the days were flying by, may 15th was coming closer and closer

now with bashioks post.. this game will be on my mind everyday again

o_O
03/30/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Bashiok
Inferno monster levels aren't linear any longer. They get progressively more difficult.

YAY!
03/30/2012 01:55 PMPosted by AzureSpecter
So does this mean that Act I and Act II in Inferno could potentially drop the same end-game gear from Act's III and IV? Just not as likely?

If it works like Diablo II, and from Bashiok's comments it sounds like it does, the VERY top tier of items wouldn't be able to drop in Acts I and II of Inferno, but you'd have access to say 95% of drops (imaginary number for argument), and because of the randomness within those drops, some of the more "perfect" drops would beat out the more "average" drops from Acts III and IV, but the truly ultimate best things would still only have a chance to drop in the final Acts.
The feeling of entering Hell in Diablo 2 for the first time was indescribable. If the same is achieved with Inferno, I will be ecstatic. I didn't think it was possible to be any more excited for the release of a game, but somehow the anticipation keeps building.
Wow... really Bashiok? You must have felt the pressure that instead of addressing the topic at hand you throw a completely unrelated piece of news at us as a distraction. How does this relate to rerolling characters or the rune system in general? Granted, this is really an interesting piece of news but I think I'll hold my thoughts for it in the proper thread.
The feeling of entering Hell in hardcore in Diablo 2 for the first time was indescribable. If the same is achieved with Inferno, I will be ecstatic. I didn't think it was possible to be any more excited for the release of a game, but somehow the anticipation keeps building.

Fixed for you and yes, agreed
Edited by Emp on 3/30/2012 2:10 PM PDT
This is may be a good a time as any to REVEAL TEH SEKRITS! that Inferno monster levels aren't linear any longer. They get progressively more difficult. This was really a reaction to Inferno playtesting. Our original intent was to have a flat difficulty level where you could go wherever you want, farm for items, and it'd be no more or less difficult than any other area in Inferno. This caused a few inherent issues for us, though:

• It just felt wrong. It didn't feel right to be progressing through the game and have it stay pretty much the same difficulty the whole time. It felt like a letdown to get to the final boss of the game and it be no more difficult than the first.
  • There’s a wide variety of players out there and we wanted to make sure everybody had something to sink their teeth into. We expect that anybody with enough time and dedication will reach level 60. But the jump in difficulty to Inferno needed to be different amounts for different people. For the crazy people they need a HUGE ramp in difficulty, for a more “casual but still hardcore” audience you want an obvious but milder increase in difficulty. So for the crazy people who play non-stop they’ll hit Act I and get a challenge, but 1 month later they’ll still have something to work on (Acts II, III and IV). For the “hardcore-casual” they will reach level 60 later and not get brick walled when they reach Inferno. They can experience some “small victories” working on Act I with the dream of maybe someday reaching the later acts.
  • Longevity. We know people really want goals to work towards and challenges to overcome. We made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only. It felt wrong to make ALL of Inferno that brutally hard.

Now, you may be saying “I thought you wanted us to be able to farm anywhere we wanted. Now we only have half as much area in the game to farm in? What gives?” Our goal is to make the loot mathematically better in the later acts without making the earlier gear completely obsolete. We feel Diablo II actually did a very good job with this and we expect Diablo III to perform similarly.

Specifically, people in D2 did Diablo runs, Mephisto runs, Pindleskin runs, Pit runs, Baal runs, etc. because the loot in Diablo is extremely random. Even though the theoretical best items might come from the later Acts, well-rolled items from earlier acts will still be better. Internally we find sometimes after an intense session of brutally hard Inferno it can be really fun to cruise through Hell Act III or IV and it’s not too uncommon surprise when an upgrade drops. We expect this to carry through to Inferno difficulty where somebody who can theoretically farm Act IV will likely still enjoy romping through Act I simply because the drop potential is still there. It’s all because of the highly random items having lots of overlap in their power distribution curves.

I really like this inferno change. But I still don't like removing runes as a drop system.
03/30/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Lsuichan
made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only. It felt wrong to make ALL of Inferno that brutally hard.

: (
I have finals in May.

i feel your pain....i leave for basic training for 3 months starting may 8th...so ya imagine how i feel lol not to mention i dont even have beta to atleast get my hands a little wet with the gameplay... :((
90 Troll Shaman
Not thrilled about that announcement. That's one of the things that sucks the most about World of Warcraft: once you reach the endgame, there's a very limited amount of content that's really practical to actually play through if you want to advance your character in any way. The game has a hundred or so dungeons and a couple dozen raids, but by the end you just run the same three dungeons and one raid because nothing else has anything that you're interested in anymore. Now Diablo has a much more random loot system than World of Warcraft, so there's definitely weight in the idea that you can easily find upgrades in lower-item-level loot, but it still seems like a wasted opportunity.

Maybe something like what other people are saying like where the drop quality level is the same for all inferno acts but the drop rates are higher in later, more difficult acts would be a great compromise. People who want more efficient grinding can just play the harder late-game content, and people who favor more variety of gameplay over efficiency (without feeling like they're totally wasting their time, like if I were to do a non-heroic dungeon in WoW) can just play through all of the acts.
Assuming that inferno mobs still start at 61, what will act IV cap at? Or i guess i am asking how you made it more difficult. Are the mobs base stats higher or more affixes, higher damage ratios, insane rooms with literally wall to wall mobs, elite packs of 20 with 13 affixes??? please kill us :)
03/30/2012 02:11 PMPosted by D3BETA
Wow... really Bashiok? You must have felt the pressure that instead of addressing the topic at hand you throw a completely unrelated piece of news at us as a distraction. How does this relate to rerolling characters or the rune system in general? Granted, this is really an interesting piece of news but I think I'll hold my thoughts for it in the proper thread.

Did you read his original post in this thread? He did adress the OP's point.

How does this address the suggestion of unlocking runes on the second playthrough? Or unlocking runes by player choice? No, this really doesn't address the core issue in the least.
in d2 you couldnt do any cool builds especially lightning sorc or a good necro until u had lols of gear, im fine with the system
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]