Diablo® III

What D3 can learn from Path of Exile

1.) Throwing gold around is stupid. Implement identification scrolls and make them cost a lot of gold. * since you can't get rid of gold like they were able to.

2.) You can put magic find, gold find, and now item multiplication!? and affix those skills to runes and skills in general instead of just items.

3.) You don't have to restrict content like rings to make them seem more awesome, you just have to make more cool stuff in general.

4.) You could give flasks neat magical properties and refill them slowly by killing monsters instead of weird red blobs all over the place.

5.) People really do love options and customization, and it is possible to make a game that allows for dual fist weapon wielding spellcasters and magic casting tanks. Hell, how about anybody can cast anything?

6.) Remember how cool it was in Diablo 2 to turn a regular nice item into an awesome rare once in the lifetime of the character? Why not be able to do that more often and with an item you have access to carry/store?

7.) Pets are silly.

8.) So is Diablo 3's cartoon art.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Warrior
And this is why random forum posters are bad game designers.
Reply Quote
What Path of Exile can learn from D3.

How to make a fun game.

How to make a game that I actually want to play more then 2 hours.
Reply Quote
Damn I was hoping for better from the OP. I don't see anything I like here.
Reply Quote
Pets are silly? I'm pretty sure there are quite a few summons (skeles zombies).

Also I like both PoE and Diablo 3, but at this point they are very different games. You can't just take something from one game and place it directly into the other and have it be a great idea. If you want an incredibly massive talent tree, PoE is the game to play.
Reply Quote
03/30/2012 11:26 PMPosted by D3BETA
4.) You could give flasks neat magical properties and refill them slowly by killing monsters instead of weird red blobs all over the place.

The only interesting thing I found about PoE.

03/30/2012 11:26 PMPosted by D3BETA

Somehow, I don't think you actually ever looked at D3's art style. It's far from cartoon art. You're probably looking at Torchlight 2 screenshots.
Reply Quote
if you like path of exile so much why not go play that instead of asking a different company to recreate the same game?....
Reply Quote
03/30/2012 11:30 PMPosted by Tsukasa
And this is why random forum posters are bad game designers.

Seriously.

My god man, PoE is TERRIBLE. But if that's what you like, you enjoy it.

That abomination of a passive tree is a joke. Functionally, there's nothing there you couldn't get from a few passives in Diablo 3. But instead, they've just stretched that "customization" out over 60+ levels.

In theory the sphere grid is neat, but in practice, it's pretty meaningless.

Nuts and bolts aside, the game just isn't that fun to play. :(
Edited by D3BETA on 3/31/2012 2:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What Path of Exile can learn from D3.

How to make a fun game.

How to make a game that I actually want to play more then 2 hours.

This.

I played for 30 minutes before leaving because of how bored I was
Reply Quote
Just played PoE all day. It's pretty damn fun. Like a modern day Diablo1/2. Go into a dungeon and i am instantly reminded of D1, even the music is similar. The gfx are nice and gritty and they've basically implemented skill runes as blizzard originally announced. The huge passive skill tree is daunting at first but it makes sense after a few levels.

The potion system is pretty nifty actually, I'll agree with you on that. But I don't really like the ID scroll mechanic, nor do I like filling up my inventory in seconds and having to go to town every 5 minutes. It certainly makes you grateful that Blizz greatly expanded the inventory in D3!

If anyone has a beta key they can pm me I'd greatly appreciate it. *gasp* does that mean I'm capable of enjoying PoE AND Diablo3??? I think it does..
Edited by D3BETA on 3/31/2012 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I smell viral advertising.
Reply Quote
03/31/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Coca

Nah, just a lot of forumites got sucked into the recent stress test. I'm one of them.

It's a fine game, and I'll definitely play it while I'm still on the fence about D3. I'm not sure if it's better than D3, though.

Really, it doesn't have to be. Really, D3 needs to be about 60 dollars worth of better than it.
Reply Quote
1.) Throwing gold around is stupid. Implement identification scrolls and make them cost a lot of gold. * since you can't get rid of gold like they were able to.

2.) You can put magic find, gold find, and now item multiplication!? and affix those skills to runes and skills in general instead of just items.

3.) You don't have to restrict content like rings to make them seem more awesome, you just have to make more cool stuff in general.

5.) People really do love options and customization, and it is possible to make a game that allows for dual fist weapon wielding spellcasters and magic casting tanks. Hell, how about anybody can cast anything?

6.) Remember how cool it was in Diablo 2 to turn a regular nice item into an awesome rare once in the lifetime of the character? Why not be able to do that more often and with an item you have access to carry/store?

7.) Pets are silly.

Did you play the beta much? Just upgrading your artisans and stash already costs a fortune... crafting stuff costs a lot also, repairing should probably cost some more bacon...

You're talking about stuff you don't know, and some of your comments are just plain lame.
Reply Quote
PoE felt to me like what happens when you try to throw too many 'neat' ideas into a game and thus end up leaving the thing as a whole feeling unpolished.
Reply Quote
03/31/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Coca

You got me. I was setting it up for this, actually:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4253973111

Diablo 3 cut that fat and to me, cut to the bone. But apparently I'm a minority for the RPG side of it all, which I realized after reading the fantastic article shared by Honor:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085
Reply Quote
58 Gnome Death Knight
problem with PoE... too much was ripped from D2.. alot of the content was not their own making...
Reply Quote

You're talking about stuff you don't know, and some of your comments are just plain lame.

Solid argument. Good job.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

Given the number of items to be identified in Diablo 3, taxing that would be silly. Aside from this, the point of identifying items is NOT to create a gold sink to keep economy stable. It is because items have random stats, and if you identify a unique with terrible stats, compared to it's other random counterparts, it is worthless. However, if you trade an unidentified unique/rare, it is worth a lot more money.

Think before you type.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]