Diablo® III

Who Likes The New Progressive Inferno? (p2..)

04/04/2012 12:00 AMPosted by Mith

[quote][quote][quote]I've tried to, as have other posters, by comparing it to tiered raiding versus a sandbox. You seem to prefer sandboxes. Fortunately Blizzard seems to prefer tiering.

Except that in your comparisons to tiered raiding you forget to highlight how tiered raiding in WoW offers you many options on what to kill instead of one forced, linear, progressive path to the best gear, and how people love having the freedom to go after many heroic bosses at once, in the order of their choosing, and hate having to do one specific boss at a time in a predetermined order (see: ToC).

And you have not (and cannot) refute that in tiered raiding, only the highest level raid matters as endgame content, and all previous tiers are immediately discarded unless players are otherwise forced to do them in order to access the latest ones (see: TBC attunements).

Can I refute it? No. Since this is all opinion, and neither can you refute the opposite.

However in tiered raiding when done RIGHT the highest level raid matters to people doing the highest level raid, the next one down to people at that level of skill/progression and so forth. This was how it worked in BC before the nerf and badge system came in. You had people working on Kara. You had people working on SSC/TK. You had people working on BT. You had a few people working on Sunwell. Eventually Sunwell was cleared by even less.

If you had your way, Sunwell would have been 40 bosses. Some people would be working on Sunwell. The rest would be endlessly running Dungeons.
"We made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only."

If this is true im cool

Since difficulty is progressive, obviously gear will be too.

Why would people farm Act 4 if the gear didn't get progressively better, since Act 4 will be harder than Act 1?

Rhetorical Question. Of course the gear in inferno will be progressive.

There will be tiered gear in inferno. But that doesn't rule out the possibility that the zombie in act 1 can drop the best item in the game. Even with progressive difficulty, it may only mean later acts have a higher chance of dropping better rolled loot. Perhaps act IV will have exclusive items, but till they come out and say that, we won't know.
Community Manager
I just wrote like three pages of a reply and the forums lost it when I clicked Preview. ... *cry*

Ok what it boiled down to was:

• Read my previous post. It seems like some people glossed over it.
  • I'm happy most of you are happy about the change, and I know you're going to love the game.
  • Those few of you who don't like it, you'll love the game too because you're wrong. ;)
  • Item pools are not limited by Act, or Boss, or anything like that. While you'll have a better chance to get better items in Act IV Inferno, you could get those same items in Act I, or even Hell.
  • Our item pool philosophy is that you can break an urn and get the best item in the game - it's all a matter of chance. Running more difficult areas and taking on more difficult enemies will not always be the most efficient way to find upgrades.
  • Previously, Inferno difficulty was mlvl 61 across all of Inferno, and now it starts at mlvl 61 and ramps up quickly in Act I and ends somewhere around 65 (?) in Act IV. We've only increased the difficulty.
  • I'm aware of internal bets on how many months it will take someone to beat Inferno.
  • A flat Inferno of mlvl 61 had a small curb of difficulty, and once that was over you had nowhere else to progress and no reason to. That's boredom.
  • Boredom doesn't generally come from content repetition, it comes from lack of ability to progress, or ease of progression.
  • By having a sharp increase in difficulty in Inferno we can encourage progression without having a brick wall of difficulty.

I think that was about it. In any case, as I said, I know the vast majority of you are excited about the game, the change we made, and trying to progress in Inferno. Just don't feel bad when you have to go back to Hell. :)
Edited by Bashiok on 4/4/2012 12:48 AM PDT
I was upset about it, but it really makes a lot of since now and I cant wait to play this game!!!!
I guess that post takes away all the "They made inferno easier" whiners Lol
I'm just hoping to make the inferno progressive, they didn't just nerf the first few acts a small bit, but rather left it all the way it was and made the second two harder..

=p.
04/04/2012 12:44 AMPosted by Bashiok
Previously, Inferno difficulty was mlvl 61 across all of Inferno, and now it starts at mlvl 61 and ramps up quickly in Act I and ends somewhere around 65 (?) in Act IV. We've only increased the difficulty.

Yessss !! :)
So it sounds like it is in the other extreme that I feared. If you are farming for items it seems you'll be far better off sticking to the earlier acts instead if the difficulty really does ramp up that fast yet the loot spread is mostly flat then there is little to no reason to attempt later acts even if you've already cleared them previously. Farming Act 1 in beta and doing it again in inferno :(

Sure I like that there is something else to do now. But honestly, you could have done better. Let's hope the RMAH keeps enough interest from Blizzard for some cool additions down the line.
Edited by Steveman on 4/4/2012 12:58 AM PDT
wow 2 blue posts after 1am lol, interesting.
Boredom doesn't generally come from content repetition, it comes from lack of ability to progress, or ease of progression.

I'd say that part of the 'boredom' problem is that the end-game hasn't been updated from what it was 10 years ago. It's nice to add more of a sense of progression to Inferno, but slower progression doesn't mask the fact that a FOURTH difficulty isn't the most riveting gameplay element in the world.

Has there been any dialog within Blizzard wall's about other types end-game content for the future (ie expansions)? Diablo seems like the perfect vessel for those "Endless dungeons" or 99-floor trial towers that sometimes come up in RPGs. I've long dreamed of Lufia II's Ancient Cave to make an appearance in a Diablo game.

I'd be interested to know what ideas have been tossed around in the office.
Edited by Kaeros on 4/4/2012 1:07 AM PDT
Thanks Bash, game sounds awesome

But you guys must understand one thing...you really can't win with the Inferno QQ lol.

The people now whining about how they're gong to "blow through the game in a week" and then be bored playing only Act 4 Inferno will be the same people whining after release with subjective, arbitrary complaints about how it's not the "right kind" of hard or "it's cheap"...

Anyway, I'm super excited for the game! I'm currently playing through D2 and really enjoying it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So it sounds like it is in the other extreme that I feared. If you are farming for items it seems you'll be far better off sticking to the earlier acts instead if the difficulty really does ramp up that fast yet the loot spread is mostly flat then there is little to no reason to attempt later acts even if you've already cleared them previously. Farming Act 1 in beta and doing it again in inferno :(

Sure I like that there is something else to do now. But honestly, you could have done better. Let's hope the RMAH keeps enough interest from Blizzard for some cool additions down the line.

You are wrong. The chance is higher for those items drop in later Acts. But you still have a "Chance" for those same items drop in Act 1. The chance difference could be HUGE for all you know.
  • Boredom doesn't generally come from content repetition, it comes from lack of ability to progress, or ease of progression.

• No, boredom very often comes from content repetition. Not sure why you think that it doesn't.
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]