Diablo® III

Can I run it on minimum thread, enjoy.

This post is for the non technical groups of people looking to find out if they can run minimum settings on Diablo 3. Please be respectful and I or others will help provide any answers we can.

Since many game players love games but do not have technical knowhow on how the game runs it seems additional guidance would be helpful. These people may just have other life interests, we shouldn't pick on a less technically inclined gamer. As for me I am a computer Technician with an MCTS and repair computers and networks for a living. I also spent a lot of time working retail dealing with less technical people. The non techies just may not know what is making their games run and their standards for acceptable game play may be equal or less than ours. That is not to say that they are unintelligent, they just have other life interests but still enjoy playing games. And since non technical people buy a good majority of the games out there I would look to give a few tips on how to tell if you can run Diablo 3. However this will only pertain to Windows 7 but Vista users have nearly the same process so don’t worry about it. Also 7/Vista Home, Pro, Ultimate, Enterprise follow the same process.

Basic questions you need to ask yourself before you seek out the forum help.

What CPU am I running?

In windows 7 click start button, then click right click on “Computer” then left click on properties, this will show you your CPU. Also it shows you how much random access memory you have, also known as RAM, write both CPU and RAM down and keep the window open for the next step.

What Graphics card am I running?

In the same menu, look to the left and you will see “Device Manager” left click it to open. There will be a long list and you will see a menu that says “Display Adapters” left click the little arrow; this will show you the name of your Graphics Card, write the entire card name down and keep the menu open. If you choose to you can update your graphics card by double clicking the graphics card, tabbing over to driver and clicking “Update Drive” but only do so if you know it is necessary. If you are done, exit device manager and sub menus.

How much hard drive space do I have?

Click the windows icon then left click on “Computer” you will then see a menu that says “Hard Disk Drives” look at the number below that says for example “498 GB free of 698gb” those number mean that you have 498gb free to install programs. Write down how much space you have free on your hard drive.

Do I have high speed internet?

Very easy, if you pay the bills you will know if you have high speed internet. Satellite internet is not high speed internet since they generally have a phone line for uploads. 56k, ISDN and Satellite are not “high-speed” but DSL, Cable, FIOS, T1, T3 and many others are high speed. If you want to find out your download and upload speeds go to www.speedtest.net and click begin test. For example right now my download speed is 35Mbps and upload is 25Mbps which is indeed High Speed and is a Fiber optic connection. Otherwise call your internet provider and ask about your internet package. Now on to “Can I run Diablo 3 with my (insert brand) computer?”

The basic spot to start is Blizzards own requirements page, they made the game have tested it A LOT and know what computer you need to run minimum. Don’t waste your money on a new $500-$1000 computer which only meets SOME of the specs unless you want to fork out more money for additional parts that require installation.

Consult Blizzards system requirements page for Diablo 3, it tells you what types of computers will run the computer. It breaks the list into two main groups; Minimum and Recommended, both will run the game but with look graphically different. The link can be seen here and also includes MAC but I will not be covering MAC here http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements
Below here I’ll break down what each of these specs mean to you.

• Windows® XP/Vista/7 (latest service packs) with DX 9.0c  Windows XP/Vista/7 is the operating system which loads when you turn on the computer, the portion that says DX 9.0C is Direct X version 9.0C and Diablo 3 needs at least version 9.0C, you can update your Operating System to version 9.0c. Direct X relates to video display and if an older version, for example if 8.0 is on your computer then Diablo 3 will not display correctly or at all.

• Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400+ Remember when you wrote down your CPU? Look at that information and compare it to this. The Intel Pentium D means that people with a Pentium 4 CANNOT run the game; the Pentium 4 series are single core. If you have a Pentium D that means you have Dual cores on your CPU, now make sure it has a number great or equal to 2.8ghz. AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ (4400+ is a 2.2ghz processor) means you also have Dual Cores and you need a version that has a number of 4400+ or larger, think bigger is better.

• NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better Again consult your written down information and compare your graphics card to this information. First for Nvidia if it doesn’t say 7800GT or a larger number then you cannot run the game at playable levels. 7800GT is a 512mb video card, Diablo 3 uses a lot of memory so you need a memory number such as 512mb of memory or greater. But remember NVIDIA model numbers increase like this, 7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx then 2xx, 4xx, 5xx, 6xx and they mean a lot in terms of speed. If you want to look up your video cards information look here http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html it will show you important information about your card. For ATI Radeon x1950 Pro or better it means basically the same thing, you need. Unfortunately AMD has a convoluted website so digging for information is slower but follow the menus here http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/Pages/products.aspx. There is also another way to look up GPU info but is more clicking, let me know if you want it.

here is a link to video cards that are NOT supported, if you fall within these cards you cannot run minimum. http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-unsupported-video-card-list

• 1 GB RAM (XP), 1.5 GB (Vista/7) consult the information you wrote down, if you have a number which is larger than 1gb running windows XP then you can run the game. When running windows 7 if you have a number larger than 1.5gb then you can run it. If you have a GB number which says 256mb, 512mb or anything only containing “mb” then you cannot run the game.

• 12 GB available HD space This number refers to how much space you wrote down in the computer section. If you only have 10gb free of 100gb then you cannot even fit Diablo 3 on your hard drive. You need to either delete information or seek out a new hard drive or computer

• DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only) you need a DVD ROM, a CD-ROM will not play the disc! If you look on your computer optical drive and you see the words CD-R, CD ROM but no words that say DVD you need to either download the game from blizzard or add a DVD-rom to your computer

• Broadband** Internet connectionA high speed connection is required, as stated above you need DSL, Cable, Fiber, T1, T3 or faster to play since Diablo 3 REQUIRES internet.

• 1024x768 minimum resolution this means how the images are shown to you on the screen, most every computer has at least a 1024x768 with the exception of some netbooks. 1024x768 is the minimum size Diablo 3 will display to you.

A few additional CPU related things to consider if you want to run Diablo 3.

Lineup of Intel CPUs

Intel Core i3, i5, i7 are new processors you will not have issues with your game play when all other criteria is met in D3

Core 2 duo, Core 2 Quad- most should not have any issues as long as you meet all other criteria in D3
Celeron Dual core- These are low end processors with very low clock speeds, 2.1 GHz seems to be the fastest and you may have issues running Diablo 3. Diablo 3 has lots of moving things so you may get poor performance.

AMD CPUs
FX series is the newest and you should have no problem
Phenom X2 X3 X4- should have no problem as most of these have high speeds and multiple CPUs
Athalon series- so long as it is above a 4400+ and has a ii or a 2 after the name you should be fine

One final note, if you do need to upgrade a new part of your computer there are other things that must be accounted for before you do so. If you need to upgrade RAM, Hard drive, Video Card, Power supply, Operating system, please ask a technically inclined person and we can guide you in the right direction.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/3/2012 5:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
All this? Just post system specs.

/thread

Help people help themselves and it creates a better forum environment. A teacher could just tell the class the answer is A but does anyone learn anything?
Reply Quote
View profile
Why bother teaching, people just use google/wikipedia.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
All this? Just post system specs.

/thread

Stay in school, kids.OP wasn't asking for help he was providing it. L2R
Reply Quote
View profile

Help people help themselves and it creates a better forum environment. A teacher could just tell the class the answer is A but does anyone learn anything?

Ironically you are catering to the lazy people by bringing the internet to them.

Let them google the req's themselves, if not let me troll them instead of trolling you for helping them.

This thread will get buried and they'll end up posting anyway because they don't want to search. So you're fine :P
Reply Quote
Just showing up to say I can run it on a laptop with a 2.1ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gigs ram, and an nvidia 8600m gt (overclocked). It's not necessarily pretty, but with vsync on and everything on low there aren't too many hiccups.
Reply Quote
04/03/2012 03:36 PMPosted by MobileEMP
Just showing up to say I can run it on a laptop with a 2.1ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gigs ram, and an nvidia 8600m gt (overclocked). It's not necessarily pretty, but with vsync on and everything on low there aren't too many hiccups.

Good to know, lots of people are continually posting laptops that they are unsure if they can run D3 on, the more feedback the better.
Reply Quote
04/03/2012 03:36 PMPosted by MobileEMP

Yeah this sort of post is what your target audience will actually read. Wall of text in post 1 is not something people who fail at using google can navigate.

Min specs for D3 have been posted by Blizzard...

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements
Reply Quote
This works great for me

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/analysis.aspx?name=Diablo-III&id=11243&session=504c52c8-544c-4a9c-8683-a4401dc80192

Nice way to get an idea of a games performance.
Reply Quote
Yeah this sort of post is what your target audience will actually read. Wall of text in post 1 is not something people who fail at using google can navigate.

Min specs for D3 have been posted by Blizzard...

While I see what you mean about them failing to search on google my post provides the information in one area so they don't have to google all over. Also I have a link to min reqs in the "Wall of text" which is broken into bullets and paragraphs. Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow much in terms of editing so I do what I can do.
Reply Quote
Great Thread thank you how will my computer run it
Dual core at 3.41 ghz
Bfg NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 oc
4096MB RAM
Windows 7 32 bit home
alot of hard drive space
Reply Quote
Great Thread thank you how will my computer run it
Dual core at 3.41 ghz
Bfg NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 oc
4096MB RAM
Windows 7 32 bit home
alot of hard drive space

What dual core do you have? a GTS 250 is an entry level video card from several generations back. It's about equivalent to a 9800gt in terms of performance so you should be able to run some medium details depending on what frame rates you want. But you'll probably see the best frame rates using the low settings.
Reply Quote
Very helpfull thread to those that are wondering if their pc can run D3. Thanks for taking the time to help people out of pure curtosy.

now, do you think I can run the game on high? (I surpas the recommended.)

windows 7
intel core duo e7500 2.93ghz
radeon hd 5570 1gb mem
6gb memory ddr3
Reply Quote
Very helpfull thread to those that are wondering if their pc can run D3. Thanks for taking the time to help people out of pure curtosy.

windows 7
radeon hd 5570 1gb mem
6gb memory ddr3

Thanks for the compliment. A radeon hd 5570 1gb is one of those cards that is numerically confusing. While it has 1gb of ram which is great for running it on high settings the card only has a 128 bit bus which makes for slower processing. You could probably crank it to high and it will look fine but won't be playable for anything for than in town. So basically you could turn on some high settings but not everything, so watch your fps and choose what suits you best.
Reply Quote

windows 7
radeon hd 5570 1gb mem
6gb memory ddr3

Thanks for the compliment. A radeon hd 5570 1gb is one of those cards that is numerically confusing. While it has 1gb of ram which is great for running it on high settings the card only has a 128 bit bus which makes for slower processing. You could probably crank it to high and it will look fine but won't be playable for anything for than in town. So basically you could turn on some high settings but not everything, so watch your fps and choose what suits you best.

Thanks. yes that seems to be the case, with SC2 I can run a lot of things on ultra but a few things only on high or medium or I lose fps.

You think it would be a mojor upgrade for me to get a 4870 (the recommended) over my 5570? the 4870 is quite old but apearantly pretty good? I dunno.... Im cheap and its hard to pick a new card lol.
Reply Quote
How's the ATI HD5730 goanna work for me?
Reply Quote
Hello, I just found this thread today and I'm pretty confused ):
Can you please help me?
my specs are:

Intel Core i3 2.27 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145
Windows 7 64-bit
4 GB RAM

I see that I shouldn't get any problem with my i3, and my 4gb ram, but I'm not sure of my graphics card. Thanks for all the help!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]