Diablo® III

Random Loot System and Risk vs Reward

While the drop system is random it is not completely random. Not going to get the best item in game in Act1 of normal because there are lvl caps. So is there going to be a lvl minimum in Inferno? or am I going to be playing inferno to get items that can drop in Act1 Normal? In D2 I always hatted running Baal in Hell only to get a Isenhart's Case. Always felt this risk vs reward wasn't very balanced.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
mopping up on rare mobs in inferno presumably yields the best returns... slot machine loot, slot machine monsters

if you Lift quality thresholds then presumably rare tier gear is falling from the most trivial of mobs in inferno. e.g. if 1% of the items in Inferno is a lvl 60 axe, but you get an axe to fall ever minute... then by deleting the bottom tier axes from inferno would mean instead of 99% junk axe every minute, you just get 1 good one to fall over all of 100 minutes.

that is the opposite of how the confetti slot machine works.

you get massive small payouts, and a rare jackpot.. that jackpot grows in inferno, it is more rare however.
in short, the Diablo risk/reward system is fine.
Edited by Korba on 4/4/2012 4:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
From what I understand in D2 as monster lvl increased it just increased their loot table so if the highest lvl mob was say 60 they could drop items lvl 1-60. So if I'm running Inferno and happen to be lucky enough to get a legendary to drop is it going to be a lvl 5 legendary that I could have easily gotten running a Normal game. Or is it going to be something that is potentially decent or tradable for something useful. I'm not saying they need to increase how often rares and legendary drop. I just think there should be a item lvl minimum at the higher end of things. While it is a random system it is not completely random. It is not like I can get a lvl 60 item in Act1 Normal. But I can get a lvl 1 item in Inferno, just doesn't seem that balanced.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
04/04/2012 04:52 PMPosted by D3BETA
it just increased their loot table

it also increased the Ilvl on the item, weighted against the items Quality lvl would determine the mods it was allowed.. ostensibly higher Ilvls needed to unlock better mods on the best items, but it didn't push lvl 1 mods off the table, it only added them to the potential spawn

04/04/2012 04:52 PMPosted by D3BETA
I could have easily gotten running a Normal game.
yes,

like buying 1,000,000 lotto tickets, the reward can be zero or huge

Difficulty (Inferno) only adds potential for better loot, at the cost of a higher buy-in (require better DPS + survival)

mid-high level items are supposed to be more rare.
the only way to accomplish that with loot dropping all the time is to continue picking from the low end

however, as the table fills with potential for higher level stuff, the odds for the low level items is lowered...
clearly if you want a lvl 5 legendary you would want to farm in levels around 5-10, where the pool is the most limited for that item
Edited by Korba on 4/4/2012 9:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/04/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Korba
however, as the table fills with potential for higher level stuff, the odds for the low level items is lowered...

I think the odds of nothing dropping is lowered while everything else stays the same. Also this isn't like a slot machine where they have to pay out after some time. Your odds are the same from 1 kill to the next assuming monster lvl is the same. So its more like your playing the lottery 1,000,000 times not buying 1,000,000 tickets for 1 time. Also quality of item isn't the same as lvl of items. Could still have a lot of higher lvl white items drop. I just think that when a magical/rare/legendary/set does eventually drop in Inferno it should be at least lvl 30+ instead of lvl 1-29.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

I think the odds of nothing dropping is lowered while everything else stays the same.

that is not possible the odds for things constantly shifts. As for No_drop% it may alter, don't know.. but the odds for low level items is diluted, not removed

04/05/2012 03:54 PMPosted by D3BETA
I just think that when a magical/rare/legendary/set does eventually drop in Inferno it should be at least lvl 30+ instead of lvl 1-29.

It's a bit irrelevant, the overall issue you are trying to fix is to increase the # of legendaries that fall?? ostensibly that won't happen.... rare/set/legendary drops would simply be tuned less frequent, the result just being the same;
X item you want to keep per Y hours, and we would likely have huge no_drop% to compensate for the removal of low tier objects

as for a stylistic reason?
meh, w/e, style = opinion, I wouldn't care either way frankly
Edited by Korba on 4/5/2012 5:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 05:23 PMPosted by Korba
It's a bit irrelevant, the overall issue you are trying to fix is to increase the # of legendaries that fall??

Nope not increase how frequently they fall but the lvl of the item when they happen to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]