Diablo® III

Possibility of expanding players

If this has already been discussed, I apologize.

I was disappointed when I heard that the max cap of players in a game was going to be 4. What is the possibility of seeing that number increase in a future update/expansion? What is the primary reason for the limitation?

This is truly not a QQ, I am just curious as to why 4 was chosen instead of say 6, or 8? Some of the best part about Baal Runs was seeing 8 other players slamming through groups of mobs as you made progress through the level.

Thank you for your insight!
Reply Quote
okay listen 8 players is way too many...it was too many in D2 and it would be too many in D3

if it was up to me max players would be 3

any more then 4 is just too much going on

ruins game play
Reply Quote
4 was chosen because when they tried a higher count, it was impossible to discern what was even happening on the screen. Faaaaaar to much pryotechnics.

This was from Jay Wilson.
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 09:29 AMPosted by D3BETA
Faaaaaar to much pryotechnics.

agreed
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 09:31 AMPosted by Gnomestabber
Maybe they shouldnt have added lame final fantasy graphics to every attack and left it like the Diablo series has been.
even then 8 people running around like chickens in a small room was pretty ridiculous
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well the first reason that springs to mind is it will be less worthwhile to do a max lvl ruch run for just 3 other people. When it is 7 others sure it might worth it especially when you can ninja their loot but that is out of the equation now.

Reason 2 is balancing for 4 players is easier than for 8 or 6, and with 5 classes in the game then it leaves more innovation. In an 8 man game you can get all classes into a game so you can plan for the possibility, bit in 4 man game with 5 classes you have to plan for missing a class.
Edited by Serethena on 4/5/2012 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 09:31 AMPosted by Gnomestabber
Maybe they shouldnt have added lame final fantasy graphics to every attack and left it like the Diablo series has been.

Yeah, because Diablo has never focused in insane skills of extreme power........

Oh wait....

Hammerdin/Any Sorc/Bowazon/Nerco of bone spam/etc.....

Have you ever actually played a Diablo game?!?
Reply Quote

Yeah, because Diablo has never focused in insane skills of extreme power........

Oh wait....

lol i just remembered back to any typical baal run where sorcs are spamming meteor or blizzard while pallys are spamming hammers waiting for the waves to spawn

and their is so much stuff going on, on the screen
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 9:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Gnomestabber
Probably before you were born. Have you ever actually SEEN video of a 4 player game? You cant even see the enemies you are fighting because the screen is covered in massive explosions and flashing lights.

Would D3 be interesting to watch/play if there weren't over-the-top explosions and graphics though? Part of the flashyness is also to help discern each ability. Previous Diablos didn't have the same level of embellishment, true, but that was probably more due to a technical limitation (they had to be in 2D sprites).
Reply Quote

Oh wait....

Probably before you were born. Have you ever actually SEEN video of a 4 player game? You cant even see the enemies you are fighting because the screen is covered in massive explosions and flashing lights.

As you come to the realization that I am 33, and have played the Diablo series since day 1.....

And I dont need to see video, I can play it, right now...... (both D3 Beta and D2...)

4 is a good size in 3, heck, most of the time 4-5 was a full house in D2 as well. (8 was either people just running off on thier own, or people getting rushed, or a giant mess.)
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 09:49 AMPosted by D3BETA
If 4 players is so much obviously better then why don't people just make 4 player games? There's no need for an arbitrary restriction. People played with 8 people in games because 8 was the best. If you wanted 4 you could always make that the max limit.

People played 8 players games for rushing, trading, or team PvP, or to run off on thier own.

I can count the amount of times I saw an 8 player room with people of the same lvl range all sticking together on one hand........ in a decade....... ffs.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]