Diablo® III

Australian Launch Event

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding a DIII Launch Event for Australia? There was one for SCII in Brisbane that I really enjoyed despite not being a huge StarCraft fan, and would love to see one for Diablo.

However, I get the feeling that if we haven't heard anything this close to release, it's probably not going to happen.

Perhaps a CM could shed some light for us.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Video Game stores across Australia have a 8:30-9am release on Tuesday the 15th depending on who you purchase from, so along with this and the lack of confirmation from blues that it will be region midnight released one might assume a global 12 midnight release from California.

That would result in roughly a 5:09pm AEST (NSW) release on the Tuesday afternoon.
Reply Quote
81 Worgen Hunter
I'll be out front of the looooooong driveway making sure the courier doesn't tick off with my parcel. Can't trust a guy paid by the delivery.
Reply Quote
There are some people saying EB games in their local area is holding a midnight launch on the 14th, giving you the best part of a day to pick up and install ahead of the launch time.
Reply Quote
04/09/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Dimira
That would result in roughly a 5:09pm AEST (NSW) release on the Tuesday afternoon.

I'm inclined to agree given the data we have. It doesn't even seem likely that the AU/NZ region will have a local midnight unlock. Particularly if there isn't much support amongst retailers for midnight launches. Normally my local EB calls me, or notifies during the process, that there's an event/launch. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything of the sorts.
Reply Quote
@mjrussell

I'm down to be at the Myer Centre midnight launch, spoke to someone at the Mt Gravatt store weekend before last who said even they were doing one.

Of course, at the time they may note have expected no access until the following day...

I might try to follow up during business hours tomorrow and see what I can find out.
Reply Quote
Video Game stores across Australia have a 8:30-9am release on Tuesday the 15th depending on who you purchase from, so along with this and the lack of confirmation from blues that it will be region midnight released one might assume a global 12 midnight release from California.

I've been very curious about this since the announcement.
Only because I have purchased the CE from a retailer, who have confirmed won't be hosting a midnight sale (which is disappointing).

The good news, is we are about 18hrs ahead of NA, which means whether you predownload or purchase a retail copy of the game you will still be able to install the client and be ready before the servers go live.

Is that right?

@Highlander - My understanding would be if you're purchasing it at a Myer midnight sale, you can then go home, install the client (Just like those who pre-downloaded from Battle.net can) and be ready before 5:00pm AEST.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/10/2012 4:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@mjrussell

I'm down to be at the Myer Centre midnight launch, spoke to someone at the Mt Gravatt store weekend before last who said even they were doing one.

Of course, at the time they may note have expected no access until the following day...

I might try to follow up during business hours tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Let me know if you find anything out, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reply Quote
@mjrussell

Let me know if you find anything out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So, I spoke to EB in the Myer Centre. They said that presuming we are based on the US release time, as per WoW Cataclysm, it'll just be a case of going to the store and picking it up.

A pity, they said they had some pretty big plans they won't be executing the way it looks ATM. 5pm must just not be a cool time to do fancy stuff.
Reply Quote
@Highlander

Cheers for that. It's a shame to hear that they had big plans that will never get to see the light of day. :( They would have had big plans, too. I'm pretty sure that was the EB store responsible for the SCII Launch Event. But oh well, I guess it's not meant to be.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
The stores in Wagga currently are not doing midnight releases. Nor does a midnight release currently hold any benefit (other then meeting other D3 fans and not having to deal with the shopping cnetres being packed) as a midight release still leaves 17 hours before you can actually play the game.

That being said if there was a midnight release locally I'd be there!
Reply Quote
5PM online! that's when I finish work, righto!
Reply Quote
A mate of mine manages an EB Games store in Melbourne, I'll check with him but he isn't a fool and wont organise a midnight launch on a game that you cant play till 5pm the next day. But I will check non the less.

On the home screen for DIII they mention that Australia is part of the US region for when we go live on the server so we go live at 12.01amPDT (Los Andgeles) on the 15th which your correct in saying is 5pmEST (Sydney, Melbourne, Brizzy) on the 15th.

http://www.world-time.com.au - for the times
Edited by MonkeyB#1142 on 4/26/2012 5:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Why have a midnight launch for a game that is turned on at midnight the same day. You can't be at home at midnight and out at the launch at the same time. So if it was WoW people would stay at home so they can log in instantly at 12:00 or 12:01 and not have to wait to get home from a midnight launch first.

But a midnight launch for a 5pm release to me is a better idea. You can pick up the game at midnight. And also have a lot of time to get home and get ready for the 5pm server turn on time.
Edited by the8thark#1241 on 4/26/2012 5:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i dont understand why ppl still buy a game from a store etc. Isn't it just easier to download the digital client? no waiting at the end of a driveway for a delivery or making sure the store has the stock or the game on time etc? Is it sentiment? (about having a pretty box) or just do people feel they need a hard copy of the game for a collection or??
Reply Quote
04/28/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Hitman
i dont understand why ppl still buy a game from a store etc. Isn't it just easier to download the digital client? no waiting at the end of a driveway for a delivery or making sure the store has the stock or the game on time etc? Is it sentiment? (about having a pretty box) or just do people feel they need a hard copy of the game for a collection or??

Majority of people who buy games from stores get the CE I'd assume.
Plus on the fact that Australia has some fairly terrible interwebs infrastructure, its simply easier for some people to brave the light.
Also, supporting your local business' is never a bad thing.
Reply Quote
ah CE - that would be it i guess. i dont think many aussies care about supporting eb etc (unless someone actually has family members/friends that work there). I have had so many terrible dealings with stores like eb etc and that im glad i dont have to 'support' them any more since the digital option is available these days for most games.
Reply Quote
I pre-ordered the CE so ill have to go into the store, that being said my boyfriend is using my disc for his digital version, saves downloading it since we've been told its 8gb.
Reply Quote
yeh i guess i get the whole downloading thing as well. i have a 200G/month plan so its a no-brainer for me, but i guess if its less or the download speed is slow - i can see why ppl might get a hard-copy.
Reply Quote
I completely understand that some people have crappy experiences with chain stores, and to rightly.
I suppose my town is fairly lucky, hardcore gamers work at our EBgames :). So they hold the same obsession as I do when it comes to D3 and such.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]