Diablo® III

Weapon role in a Rapid Fire build

85 Blood Elf Paladin
So I wasn't fortunate enough to get a beta key. I'd still want to have a solid idea for my final build before release, though. Right now I am quite interested in a Rapid Fire / Marked for death + Mortal Enemy build. In that regard, I would have a few questions for the beta testers about how our weapons will interract with our skills. I know there are a few threads on some of these questions, but the information is sparse and still unsure, so this is an attempt to put everything in the same thread.

1) General question: what actual weapon damage is used for skill damage calculation? Is it the average damage, or is it a roll between min and max weapon damage for every skill cast?

2) Dual wielding one-handed crossbows seems to increase the amount of arrow per second for Rapid Fire. Would a faster 2Handed weapon output more arrows per second than a slower one as well? And if so, to what extent (i.e. how does arrow per second scale with attack speed)?

3) Rapid Fire tooltip says 228% weapon damage. Is it per arrow (doubt it), or is it per "channeling tick", if I may call it that way? In other words, what is the actual damage per arrow?

4) There's a bit of information on this elsewhere, but still no precise answer: how does Hatred per arrow cost scale with weapon attack speed?

I know testing all of this would be tricky, but any general idea would be much appreciated and would allow for more precise theorycrafting to decide whether to go for Rapid Fire or for an Impale max-crit damage build.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
This is actually something which I was curious about as well. . .
Reply Quote
04/04/2012 08:26 PMPosted by Ragnaros
1) General question: what actual weapon damage is used for skill damage calculation? Is it the average damage, or is it a roll between min and max weapon damage for every skill cast?

Every cast it rolls. This can be a really big disparity for spells like impale where I've hit for 18 and 45 with the same weapon. The difference between 250% of the min value and the max value can be rather large. You'll see much more consistent numbers with a spell like RH as the "228%" you see is broken-up over multiple arrows. Instead of one hit of 20-30, for example, you'd see multiple hits of 5-7 (not sure if it's actually 4 arrows per second base, but just an example).

2) Dual wielding one-handed crossbows seems to increase the amount of arrow per second for Rapid Fire. Would a faster 2Handed weapon output more arrows per second than a slower one as well? And if so, to what extent (i.e. how does arrow per second scale with attack speed)?

Yes it stacks just like any other attack. The faster your base APS is, the faster the arrows shoot. When dual-wielding you get a 15% increase in your attack speed so it should be the fastest combination considering quivers only give 10%.

3) Rapid Fire tooltip says 228% weapon damage. Is it per arrow (doubt it), or is it per "channeling tick", if I may call it that way? In other words, what is the actual damage per arrow?

See number one. Essentially it takes the range from min to max of 228% and then divides it by the number of arrows you're shooting. I'm not positive as to how it's broken up. I can get on the beta later to check or someone else probably knows.

4) There's a bit of information on this elsewhere, but still no precise answer: how does Hatred per arrow cost scale with weapon attack speed?

Same as any other spell. It's based on attack speed. A normal shot, like impale, would take 25 hatred per attack. Because Rapid Fire is a channel, it evenly drains your hatred over the duration. If you had an attack speed of 1.00, it would take 1 second to drain 10 hatred. If your attack speed were 2.00, you would drain 10 hatred every half second.

Hope this helps.
Edited by LtShaft on 4/4/2012 9:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
summarize some of LT + my additions

1) it's a roll just like normal, a 3-5 weapon with 200 dex means 9-15 * (skill% ), whatever your normal attack damage is it is that * the skills 228%

2) fire rate is 6x your rate.. so 6*APS, (also when dual wielding you gain +15% ias on your rate)

3) 'channeling tick' so to speak
it is listed as 228% to compare between other skills quickly, especially to see dmg per hatred efficiency
(actually 38% damage per arrow)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4015164391#13

4) it scales with arrow firing rate
single wield it is simply Channel cost * APS
(1.66 an arrow)**

**dual wield has an oddity I couldn't account for that causes this to slide more so
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4063006761?page=1#20

for things like "+2 life on hit" it does NOT create the full effect, nor does it trigger every arrow.... They have put in normalizing curves to push/pull these types of things

as with dual wielding on the DH in all skills, RF oscillates between hands every shot (very rapidly)
Edited by Korba on 4/4/2012 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]