Diablo® III

I'm surprised no one has decrypted yet

I'm surprised no one has decrypted the digital download yet. I'm glad, because I don't think I could resist reading even more spoilers.
Reply Quote
Depending on the encryption method it could take years.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
04/05/2012 10:26 AMPosted by D3BETA
Depending on the encryption method it could take years.

Unless you get a really good RNG roll ;)

But yeah, it's certainly going to be encrypted with the strongest practical method available today.
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 10:23 AMPosted by D3BETA
I'm surprised no one has decrypted the digital download yet. I'm glad, because I don't think I could resist reading even more spoilers.

You mean for datamining purposes?

If Blizzard is smart, they'll be patching vital pieces of content in at the last second to make the issue irrelevant.

Edit: Guess they weren't smart.
Edited by Steve on 4/5/2012 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
04/05/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Optional
doubt it.. the install has the full game. The patches at the end are all the changes they made since the beta.

That's not really true. It only has the art, models, sounds, and basic data about the game's systems. all of the important stuff: how the world is generated, what mobs spawn where, what loot drops, monster AI, etc. is all done on the server.

And if the client was prepared months ago, then it probably doesn't contain any of the final itemization or skill data.
Edited by Cogwheel on 4/5/2012 10:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Cogwheel
doubt it.. the install has the full game. The patches at the end are all the changes they made since the beta.

That's not really true. It only has the art, models, sounds, and basic data about the game's systems. all of the important stuff: how the world is generated, what mobs spawn where, what loot drops, monster AI, etc. is all done on the server.

And if the client was prepared months ago, then it probably doesn't contain any of the final itemization or skill data.

Exactly this.
Reply Quote

All the important stuff for running the game.

But what you describe here as being in the game is basically all the content of the game's plot. Spoilers aplenty, as it were.
Reply Quote
Somebody already has done it and released a guide on how to do it. I'm not going to post it, because I'll probably be banned... just use google. I've already done it. Can't play though, obviously.

Game won't even launch, but it's fully installed

shenanigans on you doing it. I looked into doing just this pretty extensively and unless you get really lucky it would take a whole lot of computing power to brute force crack the encryption because of the security involved. That is of course, unless the key was leaked which it wasnt.

Plus, if this was already done and freely available the datamined info would be everywhere.
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 02:00 PMPosted by GTRFast
shenanigans on you doing it. I looked into doing just this pretty extensively and unless you get really lucky it would take a whole lot of computing power to brute force crack the encryption because of the security involved. That is of course, unless the key was leaked which it wasnt.

Beta users have a sizable portion of known content - the Beta - from which to reverse engineer any encryption Blizzard might use on their MPQ files.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior

Beta users have a sizable portion of known content - the Beta - from which to reverse engineer any encryption Blizzard might use on their MPQ files.

The beta isn't encrypted, and doesn't contain final content.

Next?

Also encryption isn't a matter of reverse engineering, it's a matter of mathematics. Even if you know EXACTLY how it was done, unless you have the decryption key there is NOTHING you can do but brute force.
Edited by Cogwheel on 4/5/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]