Diablo® III

Rune choice for Marked for Death?

If you are planning to use Marked for Death, which rune will you be using?

I'm thinking of Contagion for myself.
Reply Quote
If you are planning to use Marked for Death, which rune will you be using?

I'm thinking of Contagion for myself.

I'm thinking about every rune cept contagion and death toll. Valley of death works well in aoe. Mortal enemy works well in rapid fire and hungering arrow builds, basicly any build with multiple attacks from a single ability. Grim reaper does good single target damage.
Reply Quote
Death toll is an ok party buff
Reply Quote
Not a big fan of Contagion myself. It's only use would really be for leveling where you would just focus down 1 target and then kill the one that got the buff and repeatedly chain it. There's a few problems with that. 1) If you're finding that many enemies it is probably more efficient to just AoE them instead of burn one and hitting another. 2) Until you get to harder difficulties, killing normal mobs will be quick and easy and doing an extra 12% damage to them isn't going to make a huge difference. If you already hit for 1/3 - 1/2 of their health (at least), that extra bit of damage is negligible. The only situation I would consider that rune would be facing an elite/rare mob in hell or inferno where you would want to burn down the mob 1 by 1 and the extra damage would actually be helpful. Then it would chain to the next one for a rinse and repeat.
Reply Quote
I personally like Contagion because it pretty much looks after itself making it more cost effective, but i do see your point LtShaft. The ability to spread and i'm assuming restart its count down is invaluable. I dislike intensely Valley of Death as you have to keep the enemy in the zone for it to work which will become harder in later difficulties, although i can see its uses.
Reply Quote
To me it's between Valley of Death and Mortal Enemy. Either I'd try to use Mark to beat up a lot of enemies more quickly, or to really focus down one guy as quickly as possible.

The other rune choices are not that bad either though. Like it's been said previously, contagion is very fire and forget, so it's a very light load on your discipline reserves. The life leaching one is very hard to decide whether it's worth it or not. It's one of those things that might be really overpowered because life leach was really overpowered in D2, or maybe not since 1% is such a low number and you might be able to get by on health globes anyway. The other one that spreads damage in an aoe is extremely intriguing since it kind of gives all your single target attacks some splash damage.
Reply Quote
That's a fair point, but that's exactly what caltrops is for. Hooked spine caltrops 80% slow will make sure they're sitting in valley of death o.o
Reply Quote
Hmm very good point. You've managed to change my mind; it's either going to be mortal enemy for single target or contagion.

In group play might switch to life leach for single target since everyone can leach off of it.
Reply Quote
Hmm very good point. You've managed to change my mind; it's either going to be mortal enemy for single target or contagion.

In group play might switch to life leach for single target since everyone can leach off of it.

It is a good point but consider that on the other hand for contagion, it wont apply to everyone in the group instantly. Meaning that if you start to aoe right after applying it, it wont be applied to everyone in the group intill after a few of them die. Or if you attempt to spread it around before aoeing that you have to kill those targets first, meaning your wasting time that could be spent on doing aoe.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]