Diablo® III

number of items in D3

This may have been asked/stated before, and I searched but couldn't find something like what I said sorry if this is a repeat, but my main concern about the number of items is because of the ease of changing your skills the creators say that it'll be less about builds and more about gear. My only concern is that as far as I've seen in the items there aren't that many "great" items. Will D3 just end up sort of like D2 where you decide that like there are only 2 effective builds for a class and a few specific sets of items work for those two builds best and sure there was always a couple of items you could use instead but they were never as good. So.. how can a game be about gear when in reality there doesn't appear to be that much gear?

Now, I played WoW for about a year before I got bored with the "go here collect x number of y and come back" and I may be misinformed but as far as I could see there were SOOOOO many items in WoW, would a gear based D3 benefit from this many items? or would it be confusing?
I just remember that in the D2 endgame everyone generally had the same items and generally there were few variances in builds and feel like D3 will have this kinda progression too.
Reply Quote
Just looking at the site and judging how many "good" items there will be for release doesn't really work right now.

1) No Legendary or Set items have stats. The Damage ranges you do see probably will change.

2) There will be more items than what is on the site in the game. Each item has a random set of stats, so finding the right combination at max values can take time (or money).

3) WoW's way of delivery items was "go her Kill X because he can drop Y item I need" were Diablo you can get that item you want of a boss, an elite, or even just out of a chest. It won't be as simple to get the item you want as killing a certain guy once or doing a quest.

Diablo and World of Warcraft are different games. However there will be items the community deems "best" for most classes/builds. It's just how any game with stats works. Diablo 2 had a flaw though; duping. It was quite easy in that game for people, when they found rare item, to go and then make 100 copies of it. If Blizzard can keep these types of hacks out of their game then Diablo 3 won't have the feel of everyone in the same gear. Everyone will still be working towards that goal of owning the "best" gear though.
Reply Quote
The gear is being worked on. The developers have said (though I couldn't recall when) that D3 will have more items in total than D2 did. I doubt we've even seen all the "raw" item categories yet, much less all the possible affixes those items might get.

04/06/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Nikeinajar
but my main concern about the number of items is because of the ease of changing your skills the creators say that it'll be less about builds and more about gear.

We should clarify what you mean by "it" here. I'd say that your sense of unique character identity will be less about builds and more about gear, but that doesn't necessarily translate into monotonous gameplay, or everyone being the same. I actually think the flexible skill system will have the opposite effect: because you can switch skills easily, people will do so more often, experimenting with unusual and creative skill combinations all the time. D2's unforgiving skill point system was what led to everyone using the same builds: when experimentation costs you hours of releveling, you tend to go with what's tried and tested from the start and never change it.

Once the game is well underway, I think the chances of you joining a random group and meeting someone who has the exact same gear and (current) skill & rune setup as you will be virtually zero, unless you tend to copy popular builds off forums anyway (which makes it your own doing).
Reply Quote

We should clarify what you mean by "it" here.

To clarify what I mean about the skill usage is I'm worried that lets say for example you're a level 60 monk just for arguments sake and you are in inferno. Now not every skill will be as strong as other skills, so lets say that skill 1 and skill 2 are the best for killing in inferno, wouldn't every monk in inferno use skill 1 and 2 if they deal the best damage, are most effective and such? I just worry that the "balance" of skills won't be enough to allow variances in chosen skills.
Granted with the monk I feel there is a wider variety between a straight up melee vs maybe a healer or what-not but again that could boil down to the same thing for each "type" of monk be it a healing monk who uses the most effective combination of healing skills, and therefore every healing monk would choose those same effective skills and runes or a melee monk that does the same as I mentioned before.

when experimentation costs you hours of releveling, you tend to go with what's tried and tested from the start and never change it.

Actually this is a great point that I kind of overlooked.
Reply Quote
04/07/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Nikeinajar
To clarify what I mean about the skill usage is I'm worried that lets say for example you're a level 60 monk just for arguments sake and you are in inferno. Now not every skill will be as strong as other skills, so lets say that skill 1 and skill 2 are the best for killing in inferno, wouldn't every monk in inferno use skill 1 and 2 if they deal the best damage, are most effective and such? I just worry that the "balance" of skills won't be enough to allow variances in chosen skills.

That's a reasonable concern, and all we have for that are Blizzard's past statements that they know not every skill or build will be equally optimal, but that they are doing their best to make many builds viable. Much will depend on how successful they are at this, or, more likely, how long it takes for them to identify and fix any gross imbalances. It will almost certainly be some months, perhaps years, after launch, when they have data on tens of thousands of players playing Inferno for hundreds of thousands of collective hours.

The good thing is that the flexible skill system at least allows players to adjust easily to any balance changes Blizzard makes. Maybe at launch Way of the Hundred Fists will be the only Spirit Generator worth using in Inferno. I doubt it, but even if it is, no big deal. We use that until they patch the other skills to be on the same level, and we try a fresh combination then. We won't have to reroll because the overpowered skills we locked ourselves into (in a D2 world) are now ineffective.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]