Diablo® III

Cluster Arrow Build Feedback

I'm very torn about what class to roll first: I'm stuck between WD, DH, and Barb. If I were to play a DH, here's the build I'm thinking of.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aPYlkX!YcV!bbZabZ

My hatred generator is hungering arrow w/ Shatter shot. What I am unsure of is whether or not the resulting split arrows are tracking. If they do track, I expect this to be the best single target rune (I recall a thread about the expected damage values of each rune confirming my hunch, but I'm far too lazy/drunk to quote it) If not, I may opt for a better single-target friendly rune such as devouring or puncturing arrow.

Cluster Arrow w/ Maelstrom is my only hatred spender and main AoE attack. Since all of my Hatred is going into CA, I think the high cost will be manageable. Maelstrom offers some life-leech which is always nice. CA also has good single target potential, assuming the secondary missiles can hit the initial target.

Caltrops is runed with the initial immobilization, I'm a bit torn between this rune and Hooked spines for 80% snare. With Cull the weak, caltrops adds a damage buff and excellent survivability.

Rain of Vengeance w/ Dark Cloud is a secondary source of damage... it deals out the pain while I'm doing something esle, I love that. I'm a bit uncertain as to the exact mechanics of Dark cloud, however.

Turret with Chain of Torment is my tertiary damage source. I expect only to use this while fighting bosses and other tough mobs. I could also re-rune or pick another skill if I find I need a more defensive build.

Lastly, Smoke screen runed for extra duration. This is my panic button. As long as I'm not too spammy with caltrops, I should almost always have it available.

As for Passives, steady Aim and Cull the Weak seem like pretty solid choices. I'm a bit unsure about the last one, but I think it should pertain to either defense (in one way or another), or resource management. Currently, I have numbing traps for some damage resistance, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

Let me know what you think. If you like my build, check out my barb and WD builds on their respective forums.

Best,

PS If my grammar sucks, it's because I'm tipsy!
Edited by Asmo on 4/8/2012 5:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
7 Night Elf Hunter
I think it's fine except you wont have enough disciple to fuel smoke screen. Smoke screen uses 24 discipline, DH only have 30 discipline without items, and you've got no discipline generating skills. Caltrops is pretty solid and we'll see how good sentry is, but I suspect they'll work well together.

I'd drop smoke screen and replace it with a single target kill spell like rapid fire, impale, or elemental arrow. Elemental arrow with the frost arrow rune might be good as it's only 10 hatred, which should leave some hatred left for cluster arrow.

I'd also trade Numbing Traps for Vengeance. The extra hatred and discipline generation from health globes could help a lot. This especially true in groups as anyone touching a health globe near you will trigger the effect.
Reply Quote
I'd try to sneak in vault or evasive fire somewhere. I don't see how DH can do without one of those two, like it's been said, smoke screen is really expensive.
Reply Quote
I think it's fine except you wont have enough disciple to fuel smoke screen. Smoke screen uses 24 discipline, DH only have 30 discipline without items, and you've got no discipline generating skills. Caltrops is pretty solid and we'll see how good sentry is, but I suspect they'll work well together.

I'd drop smoke screen and replace it with a single target kill spell like rapid fire, impale, or elemental arrow. Elemental arrow with the frost arrow rune might be good as it's only 10 hatred, which should leave some hatred left for cluster arrow.

I'd also trade Numbing Traps for Vengeance. The extra hatred and discipline generation from health globes could help a lot. This especially true in groups as anyone touching a health globe near you will trigger the effect.

I think you are right about smoke screen. I'm replacing it with vault. I'm a bit unsure as to what rune to use with vault. I'm thinking Tumble, as consecutive vaults could be useful for positioning with Sentry's Chain of Torment.

I'm also on board for the vengeance switch, I was considering it myself after posting the build. If I find that I don't need it, I can always opt for something else.

As for the Frost arrow suggestion, I was originally convinced I would want it in conjunction with cluster arrow. I had a build around frost arrow, cluster arrow, grenades, and the grenadier passive. I eventually decided that hungering arrow has good enough single target dps (The expected value of hunger w/ puncturing is 230% damage, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4081809750?page=1. Note that the numbers have changed slightly through patches, but the calculations are the same) and that cluster arrow would be superior in AoE, rendering frost arrow unnecessary. However, I'll definitely be testing out frost arrow.

Anyway, Here's the updated build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aPYlkd!Ycb!abZabb
Edited by Asmo on 4/8/2012 6:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
7 Night Elf Hunter
In the beta, I find that hungering arrow with the puncturing arrow rune is not really an adequate single target killer. Rapid fire is much much better at taking down one tough opponent and it's a lot more fun than Impale, which is also quite good for killing single targets. I don't really know how well elemental arrow will do.

I think every DH build will need a hatred generator, a single target hatred spender, an AOE hatred spender, and a defensive skill. After that, you can mess around. In the beta, there's no decent AOE, and most people are using Rapid Fire as a substitute. This seems fine until you group with a wizard who flattens 20 mobs with one orb, at which point you really want Cluster arrow or multishot.
Edited by Ixarus on 4/8/2012 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]