Diablo® III

900% Weapon Damage Impale

With the sharpshooter, archery, and steady aim passives, as well as the grievous wounds rune, your crits will be doing 900% weapon damage with a crossbow, and you'll be cirtting fairly often, just thought this was pretty neat and that I'd share, hell of a single target ability for boss fights don't ya think?
Edited by D3BETA on 4/8/2012 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sure, if you have 50% crit. Otherwise Chemical Burn is statistically better than Grievous Wounds at dealing damage.

PS. It would do more than 750% damage on crits. 250*(1.5+1+.5) = 750% and that is just with (natural crit damage + grievous wounds + archery crossbow bonus). That doesn't include Steady Aim which would make it 750*1.2 = 900% on crits.
Reply Quote
Sure, if you have 50% crit. Otherwise Chemical Burn is statistically better than Grievous Wounds at dealing damage.

PS. It would do more than 750% damage on crits. 250*(1.5+1+.5) = 750% and that is just with (natural crit damage + grievous wounds + archery crossbow bonus). That doesn't include Steady Aim which would make it 750*1.2 = 900% on crits.

er, thanks, forgot to include the base crit damage, but look at the sharpshooter passive, your initial impale will always be a crit, not to mention nobody really knows how high of a crit chance you can get, 3% every 1 second is pretty huge
Edited by D3BETA on 4/8/2012 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes it will be, but you still need an average crit chance of 50% in order for Grievous Wounds to overtake Chemical Burn, and it has to be that high without counting sharpshooter stacking up because an automatic crit on your first attack is not going to overweigh an entire minute + long fight. I'm not saying 50% is unreachable, I have as much of an idea as anyone else, but it has to be that high to be better average dps on bosses. Now with a pretty high crit chance still under 50% in pvp, your burst will overweigh the overall average that Chemical Burn brings, but not boss fights. PVP will especially be helped by sharpshooter because you're not standing still like you are against bosses most of the time, or at least fairly static.

Edit: 3% per second isn't that huge for static fights when you consider you're going to have a much faster AS than 1.00 so you'll have more than 1 attack per second. And if you crit with a hatred generator, it's going to reset it without allowing it to be used for Impale. Plus if you already have around 40% crit or so, you're going to be resetting it all the time.
Edited by LtShaft on 4/8/2012 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes it will be, but you still need an average crit chance of 50% in order for Grievous Wounds to overtake Chemical Burn, and it has to be that high without counting sharpshooter stacking up because an automatic crit on your first attack is not going to overweigh an entire minute + long fight. I'm not saying 50% is unreachable, I have as much of an idea as anyone else, but it has to be that high to be better average dps on bosses. Now with a pretty high crit chance still under 50% in pvp, your burst will overweigh the overall average that Chemical Burn brings, but not boss fights. PVP will especially be helped by sharpshooter because you're not standing still like you are against bosses most of the time, or at least fairly static.

Edit: 3% per second isn't that huge for static fights when you consider you're going to have a much faster AS than 1.00 so you'll have more than 1 attack per second. And if you crit with a hatred generator, it's going to reset it without allowing it to be used for Impale. Plus if you already have around 40% crit or so, you're going to be resetting it all the time.

right, two different builds though, also need to take into account that if you were to use a crit build like this, even if your hate generator does crit, it still doubles the damage of that ability, so that's almost acceptable, and I can still see impale crits being fairly common
Reply Quote
50% crit will not be required for grevious runes wounds to overtake chemical burns. This would assume you never impale more then once every 2 seconds, which would cause you to override the dot. If you wish to do burst damage with impale you wouldn't take the dot rune.
Edited by AscendedOne on 4/8/2012 6:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/08/2012 06:42 PMPosted by AscendedOne
50% crit will not be required for grevious runes wounds to overtake chemical burns. This would assume you never impale more then once every 2 seconds, which would cause you to override the dot. If you wish to do burst damage with impale you wouldn't take the dot rune.

My understanding from others is that the DoT on Chemical Burn stacks. Each time you hit, it applies a 2 second DoT separate of anything else on the target. It's not like WoW where each time you hit a target with a debuff it overrides the old one. I can't tell you for a fact that it works this way since I originally thought like you did, but I take their word for it.
Reply Quote
04/08/2012 07:14 PMPosted by LtShaft
My understanding from others is that the DoT on Chemical Burn stacks. Each time you hit, it applies a 2 second DoT separate of anything else on the target. It's not like WoW where each time you hit a target with a debuff it overrides the old one. I can't tell you for a fact that it works this way since I originally thought like you did, but I take their word for it.

However there is evidence that Rend's DoT doesn't stack with itself when cast from the same owner. Plus, we also know that Poison Dart's DOT doesn't stack with itself either.

I'd be interested in knowing what dots, if any, stack with themselves, and what slows, if any, stack with each other.
Reply Quote
However there is evidence that Rend's DoT doesn't stack with itself when cast from the same owner. Plus, we also know that Poison Dart's DOT doesn't stack with itself either.

I'd be interested in knowing what dots, if any, stack with themselves, and what slows, if any, stack with each other.

Like I said, that's just what I've been told. I could be wrong. If that's correct, then Impale w/ CB should be hitting for around 75% extra damage since I would assume the DoT would at least speed up w/ your AS. Maybe not? Most of the time once you get down into your rotation though, you'll essentially be going every other with a hatred generator and impale so the DoT should be going for full duration at least part of the time. It'd probably average around ~90% extra damage, taking into account sometimes where you clip the dot and other times where you don't, which would mean you'd only need about 30% crit for Grievous Wounds to overtake it. It'll be interesting to see some of the caveats of spells that we don't have access to yet.
Edited by LtShaft on 4/8/2012 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just ran the calculations, you need 50% crit chance for Grievous Wounds to break even with Chemical Burns, assuming dots stack and/or you don't clip the dot, which is very reasonable since it's pretty unlikely you can generate 25 hatred every 2 seconds to continue implaing (generator moves give 3-6 hatred per shot).

I disagree with your initial statement "you will be critting pretty often." Where is the critical strike coming from? You can't take the 10% from archery since you took the 2 handed crossbow, and the 10% from caltrops is suspect because you have to spring the trap, which might not be possible against ranged enemies.

Just for sake of argument let's say you can always get the 10% from caltrops, you really think you're going to have +40% from gear anytime soon?

Grievous has the potential to overrun Chemical Burns at high levels of crit, but until you have absolutely godly gear, slow and steady wins the race.

To me it's more like, chemical burns is a hell of a single target ability, it beats all the others until you have 50% crit chance. I'd be surprised if you had more than 20% critical chance with mediocre gear to be honest.
Reply Quote
04/08/2012 08:11 PMPosted by Damastes
and the 10% from caltrops is suspect because you have to spring the trap, which might not be possible against ranged enemies.

I'm not so sure you have to spring the trap. The tooltip is kind of inconclusive, but yes you shouldnt have too much of a problem clipping the DoT after your initial burst of hatred usage like you said. I would highly doubt Blizzard wanted Grievous Wounds to be a better long term damage dealer than Chemical Burn. CB should deal more damage because it's consistent. GW is for the burst in situations like PVP or trying to one shot a summoner mob. Generally Blizzard doesn't give burst abilities better long-run damage than consistent abilities.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]