Diablo® III

Diablo 3 CE dye concern. Fret not.

(Locked)

Many people have been asking if there's particle effects that are associated with the dyes. There was an interview from Diabloinc where they asked an representative whether the dyes in fact have some sort of particle effect. He said no, eventually people took their outrage onto the forums.

In the collector's edition page (link below), we get a description of the content;
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/collectors-edition/

"all forth glowing angel wings, unfurl an exclusive banner sigil, and dye your armor sets with the Bottled Cloud or Bottled Smoke items."

The misleading part would be "Botted Cloud or Bottled Smoke".

Bottled Cloud
http://www.diablowiki.net/images/2/2f/Dye_cecloud.jpg

Bottled Smoke
http://www.diablowiki.net/images/3/33/Dye_cesmoke.jpg

Out of all the colours, they picked Grey and White. Most games have Black as exclusive colours because it's generally more appealing and fits with any colour. There's already dyes that are identical, thus, it's really not making these dyes look exclusive.

The words Smoke and Cloud are the most frustrating and misleading part in the quote. Could've just said Grey and White. The game isn't out yet and they can EASILY add a patch or update the data base to add these dyes with some sort of 'effect'. I believe Blizzard needs to address this, whether they plan on doing something or not.
Edited by QoOkie on 4/4/2012 4:38 PM PDT
Agreed! Blizzard show us what CE has! You might convince those who dont get CE to change their minds!
i wish i could type audibles...
the noise im making while rubbing my head;
trying to figure out why people care
so much about these dyes...

something like...HHuuhhhhh (the h's signify air being released)
why not fight for it

1.waste of time
2.not bothering people
3.it doesnt affect the gameplay experience
4.you didnt pay 100$ for dye, they were approx 50c

i could go on but id be breaking my own rule 1.
26 Goblin Mage
The think that irks me is that you can dye an item, drop it, and the dye remains. There's no soulbound gear, so what's the point of unique dyes if everyone can have them?

Honestly, I don't see the dyes as being that big of a deal. Yeah, they'll be unique colors, but the reality is, most people that want to use them will have access to them in some form.

And yes, I am aware that dyes vanish when you put them on the AH. They should also vanish when someone else takes possession of an item. If that were the case, I'd be up in arms about the particle effects.
85 Worgen Mage
I tried to bug Bash and Jay on Twitter about this a few weeks back but got no reply.

They dyes were half the reason I bought the CE (other half being wings).
85 Undead Warlock
Yes, it was misleading, and a marketing failure.

However, they are the only dyes in the game that are free and infinite. You are getting an "exclusive" item, whether the color is special or not.
85 Night Elf Priest
If you read the tooltip on them it says that there is going to be a swirly particle effect too them, basically like a demonic black smoke emanating from your armor or an angelic white smoke.
85 Night Elf Priest
04/03/2012 11:23 PMPosted by QoOkie
If you read the tooltip on them it says that there is going to be a swirly particle effect too them, basically like a demonic black smoke emanating from your armor or an angelic white smoke.

Where exactly?

i cant remember where i read it i think it was in the item database ill look.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/bottled-smoke

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/bottled-cloud
Community Manager
I apologize if you felt the flavor text implied something specific regarding the dyes. Like all flavor text it's intended to impart flavor, and not be a literal description of an item's abilities. Particle effects are one of a few ideas we've considered working on for dyes in the future, but they're not technically possible with the system at current.

Here are the two dye's flavor text for reference:

Bottled Cloud
The gentle wind of the heavens cools the air, infusing the area with a soft glow.

Bottled Smoke
An eerie howl emanates from within as creeping shadows spill forth.

I don't disagree there could be some misunderstanding that the text is implying movement. Comparing to the other dye colors though, and I think it should become apparent that the flavor text is for flavor and not intended to be interpreted literally.

Sailors from Lut Gholein distill the waters of the Twin Seas and apply the bright blue mixture to their sails in order to blend in and avoid detection by pirates.

Hunters and bandits alike use the bark of the Gorsenna plant to blend in with the rustic green shadows of the forest.

Similarly I suppose you could suspect an armor boost or increased chance to dodge with the above two dye descriptions, but dyes are just as you'd suspect, a color change for worn items. We have no current ability for them to be anything but.

The "beige" and "dark gray" colors chosen for the CE dyes are exclusive to the CE. You can't obtain them elsewhere in the game. Plus, they're bottomless, which helps to maintain a consistent gear color theme without spending a bunch of gold. That in itself certainly makes them valuable considering the limited nature of CE availability.
Edited by Bashiok on 4/3/2012 11:49 PM PDT
I would really like to know how hard it will be to come by dyes in the game... specifically invisible.
I apologize if you felt the flavor text implied something specific regarding the dyes. Like all flavor text it's intended to impart flavor, and not be a literal description of an item's abilities. Particle effects are one of a few ideas we've considered working on for dyes in the future, but they're not technically possible with the system at current.

Bottled Cloud
The gentle wind of the heavens cools the air, infusing the area with a soft glow.

Bottled Smoke

I don't disagree there could be some misunderstanding that the text is implying movement. Comparing to the other dye colors though, and I think it should become apparent that the flavor text is for flavor and not intended to be interpreted literally.

Sailors from Lut Gholein distill the waters of the Twin Seas and apply the bright blue mixture to their sails in order to blend in and avoid detection by pirates.

Hunters and bandits alike use the bark of the Gorsenna plant to blend in with the rustic green shadows of the forest.

Similarly I suppose you could suspect an armor boost or increased chance to dodge with the above two dye descriptions, but dyes are just as you'd suspect, a color change for worn items. We have no current ability for them to be anything but.

The "beige" and "dark gray" colors chosen for the CE dyes are exclusive to the CE. You can't obtain them elsewhere in the game. Plus, they're bottomless, which helps to maintain a consistent gear color theme without spending a bunch of gold. That in itself certainly makes them valuable considering the limited nature of CE availability.

I just can't wait to pass around dyed gear to my buddehs!

04/03/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Nat
I would really like to know how hard it will be to come by dyes in the game... specifically invisible.

If it's invisible - how will you find it?!
Edited by D3BETA on 4/3/2012 11:51 PM PDT

Bottled Cloud

Bottled Smoke

So my initial guess was right that there might not be, but if you guys do add one of these in the future I won't be complaining 'cause I've got my CE anyway lol.
I just can't wait to pass around dyed gear to my buddehs!

Ok, i gotta ask.
I know it's pointless but i just have to.

Why the hell do people insist on quoting
half a page? Did you think i missed the
half page in blue before you re-posted it?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]