Diablo® III

Idea for Inferno item farming management

Just an idea I had, why not make the loot tables the same across all of Inferno but later acts drop more items hence they have a higher chance to give good items but since they take longer to clear the balance between loot / time would maintain a balance throughout all of Inferno. Then people could conceivably run anywhere since Act I will be easier to clear but less items will drop overall, but Act IV may take a while to clear but you'll see more items per monster. But that's my idea, if this has been mentioned before and I missed it I'm sorry but I figured I'd throw it out there.
Reply Quote
Have faith that Blizzard will have the loot system working great by release! :D
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I do, just throwing an idea out there as a developer myself I'm sure one of them thought of this already but if not I figured I could bring the idea to their attention.
Reply Quote
I kinda hope the drop system ends up being just like Diablo 2. Seems like it was perfect!
Reply Quote
As much as I liekd D2's loot system it wasn't perfect because people figured out that the best place to farm items were Meph/Baal runs and that's all you did. There were certain things like you had a better chance for mid-high runes doing Countess runs and I did like that kind of idea that this area has a better chance to drop this item or this type of item. But the system was farm from perfect. But Blizzard already expressed the desire to have a loot system where the loot has the same chance to drop out of a barrel as the end boss in Inferno and I'm guessing they're going to stick to their guns on this so I think this idea along with the change to the difficulty would be a nice balance.
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 09:04 AMPosted by D3BETA
I do, just throwing an idea out there as a developer myself I'm sure one of them thought of this already but if not I figured I could bring the idea to their attention.

lol

uh huh, right.
Reply Quote
I think the "kill stuff faster and get more items or kill stuff slower and get better items" strategy will work the best. It all depends on how well-tuned Inferno is after the masses really start hammering it six months in or so.
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 09:48 AMPosted by D3BETA
I think the "kill stuff faster and get more items or kill stuff slower and get better items" strategy will work the best. It all depends on how well-tuned Inferno is after the masses really start hammering it six months in or so.

I agree I tend to like the harder monsters = better loot, but if my understanding of their wording is correct like I said Inferno has one loot table to draw from, so the idea of kill faster get less items or kill slower and get more items makes the most sense.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the problem with this idea is it removes the rewards for your accomplishments. Sure, you get your items faster, but it's the same items as that guy who has only killed the skeleton king on inferno. You've cleared act 4 a thousand times and he's cleared act 1 skeleton king ten thousand times. So, you both wear the same gear? I can see a problem with that.

Increasing loot drop chances is only a reward in the short-term. In the long-term, everybody is wearing all the same things even if they've never beaten act 4 inferno. I prefer the better gear model over the more gear one. It keeps the best gear more exclusive, even with the AH factor.
Edited by Absolution on 4/5/2012 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the problem with this idea is it removes the rewards for your accomplishments. Sure, you get your items faster, but it's the same items as that guy who has only killed the skeleton king on inferno. You've cleared act 4 a thousand times and he's cleared act 1 skeleton king ten thousand times. So, you both wear the same gear? I can see a problem with that.

Increasing loot drop chances is only a reward in the short-term. In the long-term, everybody is wearing all the same things even if they've never beaten act 4 inferno. I prefer the better gear model over the more gear one. It keeps the best gear more exclusive, even with the AH factor.

The RMAH removes the rewards for your accomplishments just as the current item dropping in Inferno does. Why even play inferno? Just buy your gear in the RMAH, blech.
Reply Quote

The RMAH removes the rewards for your accomplishments just as the current item dropping in Inferno does. Why even play inferno? Just buy your gear in the RMAH, blech.

For fun?

Because its a GAME?

Also, fun fact, people have been BUYING gear in Diablo 2 for many YEARS now, same difference. I suppose you saw no point in gear hunting in Diablo 2 then?
Edited by D3BETA on 4/5/2012 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 08:59 AMPosted by D3BETA
why not make the loot tables the same across all of Inferno but later acts drop more items

they have already stated that this is exactly how inferno works.
Edited by hobofats on 4/5/2012 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
they have already stated that this is exactly how the game works.

I didn't see anything that stated this, I know I read Bashiok discussing they were working on finding a balance to keep the ideal of farming anywhere is viable but I just haven't read anything that stated this specifically

I still agree that I like this idea but it's not what Blizzard is going with. And the random factor keeps it so that even if "better" loot dropped from the later acts there is still a chance something from Act 1 is better. It's the nature of the game and I'm not sure I agree with your idea of gear for achievements in Diablo. This isn't WoW where your gear comes from a specific boss. Gear in Diablo is more items based on luck, I mean you could be farming Baal/Meph all day in D2 but I happen to open the right chest and I just got a better item than you and you spent hours grinding them where I just walked down the right hallway. So that whole achievement feeling just isnt there. When I see geared people in Diablo I usually think they either traded for it or I just go god you're so lucky.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]