Diablo® III

Local servers

25 Troll Hunter
Blizzard, how much money can we pay you to get local (ie. in Australia) servers?
Edited by Ferastin on 4/10/2012 3:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Seconded.
Reply Quote
yeah pretty rude we pay more for the game, despite our AUS dollar being worth more than US, for no reason. i could understand if it was for a localized server. i thought bliz was all about releasing a top quality product? for an online game wouldnt that include high perfomance localized servers? thanks blizzard :P
Reply Quote
Careful with your wording. Local to blizzard is the same as their "Soon".

Something 'Local' to AUS/NZ is anything outside of America/Europe.

Also, local =/= best latency. Routing is the only factor.

So unless its hosted in Eastern Australia or New Zealand, I would just stick to NA servers.

P.S. Blizzard won't give us AU/NZ located servers.
Reply Quote
Yeh i think the prices alone are a rip, but still i would much rather be playing on a larger server base like the US than here on oceana servers with a massive amount of koreans and chinese (not being racist).
Reply Quote
i just want a beta key. i've order the CE and still no beta key. Going to attend midnight release, still have to wait til the evening to play the game.
Reply Quote
25 Troll Hunter
04/10/2012 02:26 AMPosted by Nuklear
Yeh i think the prices alone are a rip, but still i would much rather be playing on a larger server base like the US than here on oceana servers with a massive amount of koreans and chinese (not being racist).

I can see where you're coming from with the larger player base, but many of us played single player in D2 just to avoid the horrendous lag. I wouldn't mind soloing one bit, as long as we've got a decent latency. And I'm sure that many people would love to PvP on equal footing with their opponents, rather than getting owned because of inherent, unavoidable lag.
Reply Quote
25 Troll Hunter
04/10/2012 02:46 AMPosted by Shootingstar
i just want a beta key. i've order the CE and still no beta key. Going to attend midnight release, still have to wait til the evening to play the game.

Are you stuck at work the whole day? Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
how about we all pay the $30 extra for the game?

they can then use that money to run AU servers...

oh no wait...they will just sit back in their puma skin jackets lighting their cigars with $1000.00 bills laughing at us chumps and all their money rolling in as we shell out extra money for no apparent reason.
Reply Quote
25 Troll Hunter
Funnily enough, in comparison to the American players, many of us are paying $20-$40 more. That's not what this about, though. Seeing as the offline mode is gone, it'd be super awesome if we could enjoy this game without the annoying response delays that characterised online in D2.
Edited by Ferastin on 4/10/2012 4:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I thought it was Telstra not playing nice? i.e Blizzard would need a big enough provider here and Telstra wouldn't come to the party with realistic offers.

I have no clue where/when I got this info in my head, I could have pulled it out my backside for all I know :P
Reply Quote
25 Troll Hunter
I saw that as well. Unfortunately, Telstra are known turds. iiNet are pretty good, though.

Maybe try iiNet this time, Blizzard.
Reply Quote
This I believe is a bad idea. From a Blizzard perspective.

Sure we'd like it. But I don't know if it can be justified cost wise.

1. Would there be enough users in our region to make this viable?
2. Could we get Telstra or iinet or someone to play ball to make this happen?
3. Would the Aus/NZ people be ok with not being able to play online with their US friends anymore? Cause if we had our own servers we'd not be using NA anymore. Well you could on the NA servers. But your Aus/NZ characters would be locked to that server and no NA people will ever be able to Co-Op with them.
4. For me I get a very decent latency from the NA servers in SC2 and D3. Very well enough to play the games without issue most of the time. And I'm only on a 1.5Mbit connection (can't get better in my area). So would a local server give better latency for us?

For these reasons I'm happy to piggyback onto the NA servers.
Reply Quote
how about we all pay the $30 extra for the game?

they can then use that money to run AU servers...

oh no wait...they will just sit back in their puma skin jackets lighting their cigars with $1000.00 bills laughing at us chumps and all their money rolling in as we shell out extra money for no apparent reason.

Truth.

At the beggining this is what the FAQ read

If I live in Australia/New Zealand/Southeast Asia, what server will I play Diablo III on?

As with StarCraft II, players who purchase the Australia/New Zealand/Southeast Asia version of Diablo III will have their own regional servers, offering lower latency and more action during peak hours. While we encourage players to play on these servers, we recognize that many have longstanding friendships with North American players and would like to continue playing with them. Because of this, we're again giving Australia/New Zealand/ Southeast Asia gamers access to both regions' servers so they can choose where they'd prefer to play.

but later I guess they didnt want to take enough time to finalize such things and just wanted to get the game out so it became
Diablo III players in Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia will, by default, connect to the Americas region. By connecting to this region, players will have a wider pool of people to play with and access to a more vibrant and active auction house marketplace. Further details on regional connection options and auction house functionality will be posted at www.diablo3.com prior to release.

its a nice spin on "!@#$tier ms for paying extra"

Thanks for putting together those quotes Keg, I was planning to pull up that earlier one myself.

I spent a lot of time building up my SEA contacts, contributing to the SEA community and building up my SC2 account on SEA, having relied on that quote above and others pledging comittment to SEA made on the SEA forums. For me, this is terribly disappointing.
Reply Quote
This I believe is a bad idea. From a Blizzard perspective.

Sure we'd like it. But I don't know if it can be justified cost wise.

1. Would there be enough users in our region to make this viable?
2. Could we get Telstra or iinet or someone to play ball to make this happen?
3. Would the Aus/NZ people be ok with not being able to play online with their US friends anymore? Cause if we had our own servers we'd not be using NA anymore. Well you could on the NA servers. But your Aus/NZ characters would be locked to that server and no NA people will ever be able to Co-Op with them.
4. For me I get a very decent latency from the NA servers in SC2 and D3. Very well enough to play the games without issue most of the time. And I'm only on a 1.5Mbit connection (can't get better in my area). So would a local server give better latency for us?

For these reasons I'm happy to piggyback onto the NA servers.

1. YES (smaller games can afford to, and DO host Australian servers)
2. They don't need to. You don't need any of their permission to set up a server in Australia, why do people actually think this?
3. We would be fine with it because even though the characters are region locked, the game isn't. You can change region whenever you want - think of it like WoW realms, where you characters are on a specific realm but you can make characters on multiple realms if you like.
4. You don't get a decent latency, you would be getting the same as everyone else which is around 150ms - 200ms. You think this is decent, but it's not: consider that Americans consider 10ms - 50ms to be normal. We are paying MORE for the game, we deserve the same quality of gameplay at the very least.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bioware has a Sydney server for SWTOR, i get 14ms ping
Reply Quote
if there was an australian server in sydney i would play on it.
i would not be playing on a NA server at all in that case.
the advantage of having a playable game 60ms ping and low latency would be welcomed.
it would especially suit diablo 3.

i have no idea why they want to charge so much for a digital copy of diablo 3 when the australian dollar is worth more than us dollar and clearly has been for months.
Reply Quote
if there was an australian server in sydney i would play on it.
i would not be playing on a NA server at all in that case.
the advantage of having a playable game 60ms ping and low latency would be welcomed.
it would especially suit diablo 3.

i have no idea why they want to charge so much for a digital copy of diablo 3 when the australian dollar is worth more than us dollar and clearly has been for months.

Because unfortunately people will still throw money at them. Game purchasers are the worst free market because they will put up with unbelievably !@#$ty business practices before they finally decide not to buy a game. They took LAN out of SC2 and everyone complained but still bought it, they have refused to offer Australian servers for a single Blizzard game all the way back to Diablo, despite constant demands, but people still continue to pay for an inferior experience.

It's disappointing, but it's not going to change at all until people start voting with their wallets (this won't happen) (ever).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]