Diablo® III

blizzard has been tuning the game for 1.5 y?

(Locked)

So according to the video recently released, they were in the tuning stage in February of 2011....

I know blizzard takes their time, but man...
Word.
It's nice to be a developer that could do that I am sure
70 Tauren Druid
They could just become Bioware and rush things out because their new corporate overlords give them strict deadlines.
Yeah, just tuning for 1.5 years. They definitely didn't completely redo any major systems since then.
Tuning a game like this is difficult, add RMAH and you remove and patching of items(without serious uproar) which in turn makes post-launch item tuning unavailable, which makes pre-launch item tuning a massive massive ordeal, especially in a game where item are the only form of diversification between players of the same class.
That's a bit of spin really. They have been reworking some systems majorly, and adding others. Read the beta patch notes. If that's "tuning" nowadays, then every game project in existence has been "tuning" since it left pre-production.
Community Manager
Obviously back then we didn't know that our testing and polishing would reveal that we were unhappy with some of game systems, which were either removed for redundancy (or being sucky), reworked for various improvements, or we needed to add completely new ones. But I dont think anyone was surprised. We test, we iterate and refine, we test some more, etc.

But yes. Along with continued development and iteration on the game as a whole we're constantly and continually tuning and testing.

I recommend enjoying these as in-progress looks into the development process, and yes, even at our silliness in thinking we were anywhere close to finishing the game. :)
Edited by Bashiok on 4/10/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Obviously back then we didn't know that our testing and polishing would reveal that we were unhappy with some of game systems, which were either removed for redundancy (or being sucky), reworked for various improvements, or we needed to add completely new ones. But I dont think anyone was surprised. We test, we iterate and refine, we test some more, etc.

But yes. Along with continued development and iteration on the game as a whole we're constantly and continually tuning and testing.

I didn't care how long it took 'cause I just wanted to know when it was done, not when it was half done, & since it is done, I can't wait to get my hands on my CE :-D
04/10/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Bashiok
and yes, even at our silliness in thinking we were anywhere close to finishing the game. :)

I chuckled a little.
I think about this and what Bashiok just said and I'm very happy Blizzard does what they do to give us great titles. Looking back, they did scrap an entire game *cough*Starcraft: Ghost*cough* just because they were not happy with it. So I'm not surprised that they took this long to give us D3, considering we've all already fallen in love with the IP a long... LONG, LONG time ago.
All CMs did... to promote the new WoW mounts.
No one is cracking the whip around there and that's a good thing. People are happier at work when they can take their time about things and spend a healthy amount of time socializing amongst themselves, rather than working like a dog. Or in Blizzard's case, they are probably playing games ffs. lol

They probably have to crack the whip to get them to stop playing the game to actually finish it. If it's like any project there's always that "last minute crunch" where the efforts just seem to ramp up and you try to get all the loose ends tied up.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]