Diablo® III

There is no SEA server (or ANZ Server).

Here's to clarify for any of you that seem to think so. I'm sorry but you're incorrect.

That is why we have a subforum here, instead of our own hosted forum, in its own server location (e.g sea.battle.net/d3/en)

To open with: There is an Asian server... It's assumed that this is where Singapore, Philippines, and other countries that were from Asia and apart of Starcraft2's "SEA/ANZ" server connect to.

As for those of us who are from ANZ. We are defaulted to NA, as was announced a month ago.

They let us know this, to be explicit that NA is our 'home' server, as opposed to the Asian server. NOT as opposed to the SEA/ANZ server (Which is is situated in Singapore, and only for SC2).

Why is it like this? The simple answer is logistics: SEA server is useless for diablo 3, and so made redundant. (Some may believe its the case for sc2 as well, but lets ignore that).

Some of the reasons that we can assume factored into why:
  • If you are from ANZ, a 'ping' issue is mostly moot. Unless you are from west coast Australia and are with a specific provider, your ping to California (East coast USA) was very similar or lower to that server station, than to Singapore/SEA. Without knowing where the asian server is situated (China some where, I'll assume), this is true further more.

• Our currencies translate to American much easier. Nevermind the fact that we can still use our own domestic currency, if we felt we didn't need to use our own currency, using the US dollar would translate quite smoothly.... and on that note: So would our language, culture, and plenty things else.
    As a note below: the fact that we can use our own currency seems to make people think that we have our own server. Nope. We have our own 'auction house', but it is using NA-server based characters and loot.

• Sea server is tiny. Now that there is no SEApproximately half of SEA-accounts from Sc2 played on the NA server. In fact on-peak SEA traffic was smaller than off-peak NA. This migration was allowed after the one month of rigidity, of which many players had already levelled accounts and earned achievements, and so decided to stick to SEA. The factors were then pings, ladder styles, friends, and custom games). Thinking that ANZ has its own server is even more ridiculous since we don't have the populations of those south-east asian countries to try and bolster it!
    So back to considering D3: In noting the fact that there are free borders from the get go, there will be even more voluntary migration! And in Diablo 3:
  • Ping difference matters less (its not generally extremely competitive/apm heavy)
  • and
  • Server size matters more (in terms of the fluid function of the in game economy).
  • Reply Quote
    04/11/2012 05:16 AMPosted by ArtVandelay
    since we don't have the populations of those south-east asian countries

it would include australia and new zealand 27 million people and also countries in south east asia, like singapore, thailand, malaysia, indonesia, cambodia, laos, vietnam, phillippines, japan, taiwan and also people on the west coast of united states. well over another 620 million people not including japan. australia's internet connection to japan is fast. even locating the server in japan would be great. for australians, sydney would be the ideal spot but japan would be fine.

there is no reason people in the united states couldn't choose to use a server in sydney. i mean the ping is only 200+. : ) i am happy to play on NA servers tho, whether it is playable or not we are yet to find out. i only have 4G LTE wireless. thanks for clearing it up!
    Edited by oblivion on 4/11/2012 6:14 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    It's simple.

The Blizz sticky just says our default server for D3 is now NA. We like anyone else can switch to SEA if we want. Just that the initial server (if we don't change) will be NA. And also I think NA will be the only server with the Australian RMAH. For us to use the other regions RMAH (or the US one on our own NA server) will incur a currency conversion fee.
    Reply Quote
    Bioware can easily provide a Sydney server for SWTOR, ping on that game is great
    Reply Quote
    It's simple.

The Blizz sticky just says our default server for D3 is now NA. We like anyone else can switch to SEA if we want. Just that the initial server (if we don't change) will be NA. And also I think NA will be the only server with the Australian RMAH. For us to use the other regions RMAH (or the US one on our own NA server) will incur a currency conversion fee.

Its so simple yet you got it wrong...

No, no you can't.

There is NO SEA SERVER. there is an Asian server, and an American... no in-between SEA server. Those countries that used to be in the SEA server have been split up. Those in Asia are now defaulted into the ASIAN server, those left over (Australia and New Zealand) are now defaulted into America.
    Edited by ArtVandelay on 4/11/2012 5:45 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    04/11/2012 05:56 AMPosted by oblivion
    since we don't have the populations of those south-east asian countries

it would include australia and new zealand 27 million people and also countries in south east asia, like singapore, thailand, malaysia, indonesia, cambodia, laos, vietnam, phillippines, japan, taiwan and also people on the west coast of united states. well over another 620 million people not including japan. australia's internet connection to japan is fast. even locating the server in japan would be great. for australians, sydney would be the ideal spot but japan would be fine.

Except it doesn't include all those countries.

The Sc2-SEA server only had these ones: Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.
    Reply Quote
    04/11/2012 05:38 PMPosted by ArtVandelay
    There is NO SEA SERVER. there is an Asian server, and an American... no in-between.

Not sure I get what you mean.
    There is SEA server, there is US server.
    We connect to US server initially.
    SEA server != Asia server (Hence the SE in front of the A)
    There is other 'Asia' server, those I'm aware of are TW/KR/JP. China haven't decided yet. But SEA is definitely NOT Asia server.
    Reply Quote
    Maybe I should clarify. There isn't the same SEA (often written SEA/ANZ) server for d3 as there is for s2. They may very well be a server for south-east-asian countries. But we aren't paired with them by default anymore.
    Edited by ArtVandelay on 4/11/2012 6:26 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I think ArtVandelay is confusing region and server. He's right, there's no SEA/ANZ server (server is where we connect to geographically). As for a SEA/ANZ region (region is the "group" we play with), the sticky from Blizzard was somewhat ambiguous. For reference:

If I live in Australia/New Zealand/Southeast Asia, what server will I play Diablo III on?
    Diablo III players in Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia will, by default, connect to the Americas region. By connecting to this region, players will have a wider pool of people to play with and access to a more vibrant and active auction house marketplace. Further details on regional connection options and auction house functionality will be posted at www.diablo3.com prior to release.

Please note that as these updates suggest, there will be some options with regard to the regions. We’ll be providing further information on those options, and answering any questions you may have on this change to your Diablo III home region as we get closer to release.

This could be interpreted two ways. The first being that there's only the NA region (default), and no other region options are being included. I'm sure if there was an SEA/ANZ region, Blizzard would have stated explicitly as such, somewhere.

The second is that NA is default, and there's an SEA/ANZ region option even though this never stated explicitly.

At first I thought there would be a NA and ANZ region that we would choose from. But after reviewing the post I'm not so sure. What do you guys think?
    Reply Quote
    the fact that

sea.battle.net/d3/en redirects to us.battle.net/d3/en is evidence enough that they don't have the infrastructure for that physical server.

Again, it may be that there are multiple asian based servers we can connect to (we know korea has its own server, and assume that there is one in china). But there isn't going to be one for us to be affiliated with...
    Edited by ArtVandelay on 4/11/2012 6:32 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    To those doubting ArtVandelay, he is right about off-peak US population on NA server often exceeding peak population on Australian server.

And to be clear: The SC2 SEA server is, relatively speaking, sparsely populated. This impacts upon matchmaking, custom maps and chat channel populations (almost all the default channels there are dead, worse than D2USWest before I switched to SC2 in 2010).

To those advocating a server in Sydney, if Blizzard considered it to be too small, there is no way an Australian server will exist. You can cite population levels, but that's irrelevant. It's number of actual people, who can afford the legitimate version of the game and can maintain a stable enough and consistent internet connection to play online and choose to play Diablo III over another game. Those people are the only ones that count, and on that list, there aren't so many. At least not enough to get Blizzard to act on it.

@mjrussell, I originally thought the same way as you did, on the two interpretations. I've been trying to get clarification since I read it. The only point I would make is that for your second interpretation:

If I live in Australia/New Zealand/Southeast Asia, what server will I play Diablo III on?
    Diablo III players in Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia will, by default, connect to the Americas region. By connecting to this region, players will have a wider pool of people to play with and access to a more vibrant and active auction house marketplace. Further details on regional connection options and auction house functionality will be posted at www.diablo3.com prior to release.

Please note that as these updates suggest, there will be some options with regard to the regions. We’ll be providing further information on those options, and answering any questions you may have on this change to your Diablo III home region as we get closer to release.

This could be interpreted two ways. The first being that there's only the NA region (default), and no other region options are being included. I'm sure if there was an SEA/ANZ region, Blizzard would have stated explicitly as such, somewhere.

The second is that NA is default, and there's an SEA/ANZ region option even though this never stated explicitly.

At first I thought there would be a NA and ANZ region that we would choose from. But after reviewing the post I'm not so sure. What do you guys think?

With mutliple regions being available, clearly NA is default, but it certainly doesn't say anything about there being an SEA region option. We could theoretically be choosing Korea or Europe.

@ArtVandelay
    Where do you get your information on where these new servers will be and where they won't be?
    Reply Quote
    04/11/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Highlander
    It's number of actual people, who can afford the legitimate version of the game

I agree with you Highlander. It's just that to say South East Asia along with Oceania as a region is sparsely populated when it has 620 million people is indeed nonsense. The United States only has 320 million people. You can say that the Blizzard SEA server located in Singapore is sparsely populated. You can also say it has a low player base for Blizzard games in this region.

It is the player base, number of players that is important, not the populations of the countries. The SEA server should have always been put in Sydney, then the few extra players from all those extra countries could have joined Sydney.

I quit World of Warcraft because of the lack of a Oceanic server and I quit Starcraft 2 because of a lack of an Oceanic Server and I guess we are looking at Diablo 3 which is online only and wondering if this is going to be a repeat of that again. A big reason for the low and lack of high player number for Blizzard games in Australia and New Zealand is always going to be the lack of a Oceanic Server. You can't look at number of copies sold in Australia to work out the player base either as most people are importing the game. I have bought two copies of Diablo 3, both from overseas, none in Australia. I live in Australia.

Hearing from the people in the BETA tho, it sounds promising and it sounds like we will be able to at least complete the game Diablo 3 from Australia. So that is fine. We will see soon. I know I will be attempting to do so. You are correct there is no SEA server for Diablo 3.
    Edited by oblivion on 4/11/2012 9:18 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Stop pointing to SC2 and comparing the NA server to the SEA server. There are several reasons this comparison is unfair:

1) SC2 is not always-online. The casual players who will pick up Diablo 3 and play it by themselves will be playing through Battle.net, but those same casual players would likely be playing offline on SC2.

2) SC2 does not really share the same target audience as Diablo 3. You'd be better off comparing the population of WoW's oceanic servers since WoW is at least an RPG and therefore in a similar ballpark and more likely to 'share' a demographic with Diablo 3.

3) The SEA servers in SC2 actually have higher latency in many cases than the NA server, so many SEA region players are actually choosing to play NA to circumvent this. This artificially lowers the SEA player count and artificially raises the NA player count.

So yeah, please stop comparing this to SC2.
    Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 9:23 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    What made anyone think there was going to be an SEA server? D2 didn't have one and nor will D3.
    Simple.
    Reply Quote
    04/11/2012 11:24 PMPosted by Immortàl
    Money and numbers aside, i'd just like to see an honest and legitimate reason why Blizzard cannot maintain an Oceanic server.

According to this article Telstra is serverblocking us: http://delimiter.com.au/2010/10/25/telstra-the-problem-claims-blizzard-on-aussie-servers/
    Reply Quote
    Money and numbers aside, i'd just like to see an honest and legitimate reason why Blizzard cannot maintain an Oceanic server.

According to this article Telstra is serverblocking us: http://delimiter.com.au/2010/10/25/telstra-the-problem-claims-blizzard-on-aussie-servers/

If you actually read that article you would have noticed that they are talking about the poor routing that results in traffic to the SEA servers being routed all the way to San Diego before coming back to this region. A server INSIDE Australia wouldn't have this problem.

Agreed 100%. The reason we haven't gotten this honest and legitimate reason is because one doesn't exist: it's all about money.
    Edited by D3BETA on 4/12/2012 12:05 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Stop pointing to SC2 and comparing the NA server to the SEA server. There are several reasons this comparison is unfair:

1) SC2 is not always-online. The casual players who will pick up Diablo 3 and play it by themselves will be playing through Battle.net, but those same casual players would likely be playing offline on SC2.

2) SC2 does not really share the same target audience as Diablo 3. You'd be better off comparing the population of WoW's oceanic servers since WoW is at least an RPG and therefore in a similar ballpark and more likely to 'share' a demographic with Diablo 3.

3) The SEA servers in SC2 actually have higher latency in many cases than the NA server, so many SEA region players are actually choosing to play NA to circumvent this. This artificially lowers the SEA player count and artificially raises the NA player count.

So yeah, please stop comparing this to SC2.

The SEA is a fair comparison, as it is what we were originally inteneded to play on. The FAQ previously read as follows:

As with StarCraft II, players who purchase the Australia/New Zealand/Southeast Asia version of Diablo III will have their own regional servers, offering lower latency and more action during peak hours. While we encourage players to play on these servers, we recognize that many have longstanding friendships with North American players and would like to continue playing with them. Because of this, we're again giving Australia/New Zealand/ Southeast Asia gamers access to both regions' servers so they can choose where they'd prefer to play.

So, we thought we would get a choice. Now, it seems, we only get a choice to connect to servers further afield from Australia than SEA was.

It is also relevant as it is the only existing game which is set up under Battle.Net 2.0.

It's relevancy is not as a like game, but rather as an example, as a precedent and as a promise broken.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]