Diablo® III

first play of beta as WD

Hi All,

just got my beta invite the other day and played through as WD. I played through as a WD and then a Monk and I have to say I really liked the WD. I mostly ran with Poison Dart, Grasp of the Dead, Zombie Dogs and Soul Harvest. Although I tested the other available skills.

Before I got the beta invite, I poured over the forums and have made countless builds on the calculator, so for those of you that haven't received your invite yet, here are some of my observations:

It's been said a bunch and it's true the beta is very easy. I've played through as a WD, a Monk and a WD Hardcore and I have never died and only saw the screen start to turn red once (as Monk incidentally). As WD, I mostly never used Soul Harvest. It was hardly needed and mobs often didn't get close enough to bother. The range is very small too.

Poison Dart is awesome. With 20 mana per/second regen you can spam it to death and the range was incredible (expect a nerf).

It's been said in the forums and my experience was the same, Zombie Dogs and Followers are meat shields. Don't count on them for much damage. They worked more as CC to keep things off me while I spammed Poison Dart. Worked great too. I was amazed that they held any aggro at all to be honest. Occasionally I used Grasp of dead to give me more CC coverage. I expect to rely on Grasp of Dead for the live version of Diablo III.

I also played with Plague of Toads and loved it. I have a build that uses a bit of CC and Plague of Toads with Todd Affinity and I think it would totally rock. You can literally make a Plague of Toads--go figure. Spam it three or four times; it looks cool and they do a lot of damage. Seems to me that it has to be coupled with Grasp of Dead or Wall of Dead however to be affective. Obviously works best short range and spammed three or four times because the frogs attack is random.

I was underwhelmed by Firebats, without runes the range is very short cone and just doesn't look that special. I shouldn't say that it looks ok, but could just as well be a flame breath attack. I think the toads are unique and the poison dart seems right for a witch doctor.

I have a hard time imagining living without Poison Dart. I used the Splinters rune and a couple spams is like shooting a machine gun. I hear a lot of talk about Monk mobility, but my Monk couldn't out maneuver or out run Poison Dart. I can see where Dashing Strike or Tempest Rush will be required for Monks because several times I found myself trapped in a mob while getting pommelled by them and several ranged mobs out of my reach.

With my WD the mobs only got as close as I let them and Poison Dart let me hit mobs anywhere on the screen.

My current "calculator" build uses Hex instead of dogs, but I found them very useful as meat shields. I may have to reconsider. Although I don't really understand the connection between dogs and witch doctors? They don't do much damage but they attack on sight, which gives them aggro (and can pull a new mob...sometimes at inopportune times).

That's about it for now. Go check for your invite!
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Shaman
I disagree with my hardcore build i have completly eliminated my dark use and grasp i go with fire bat's toads and dog's if you use soul harvest with mats and use the dog's as meat shield throw 2 stacks of toads and firebats and you will down anything with ease.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Shaman
btw dps and aoe dmg witch doctor all the way second to only demon hunter in beta.
Reply Quote
Uhh... WD dps is second only to Demon Hunter, Wizard and Barbarian when you aren't buffed with Soul Harvest. Maybe even to monk, too.

I wouldn't count on being able to maintain soul harvest up in the harder difficulties.
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Priest
Uhh... WD dps is second only to Demon Hunter, Wizard and Barbarian when you aren't buffed with Soul Harvest. Maybe even to monk, too.

I wouldn't count on being able to maintain soul harvest up in the harder difficulties.

Yeah if you think WD isn't competitive without soul harvest, you haven't been comparing ability damage across classes.
Reply Quote

Yeah if you think WD isn't competitive without soul harvest, you haven't been comparing ability damage across classes.

Oh, have you played the beta? My mistake assuming we were talking about experience here.

WD without soul harvest lags far behind the other classes in burst damage. Even with their high dots and lots of pets, they are still behind overall since you will have to take passives for survivability to make pets viable.
Reply Quote
Balance at low levels is of little consequence - especially balance of geared level 13s on level 8-9 content. I wouldn't be surprised if every level the relative power of the classes changes, as different skills open up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]