Diablo® III

Monster melee attack range

View profile
04/11/2012 04:09 PMPosted by D3BETA
Which is exactly why they gave the monk and the barb 30% damage reduction. Because they were definitely taking more hits because they have to be in melee range.

And I'd trade that in a heartbeat for more precise attack algorithms. That way if I die in HC, I'll know it was because of my own failure and not some invisible punch that came from the graveyard next door.

You know it's not invisible because you were right next to the thing a second ago. Maybe you should have sent in the templar first?

This gives more leeway to ranged. They are designed to be hit by melee every now and then. Which means they aren't glass cannons. They take more damage than the barb and monk, but they can survive a few hits rather than instagibbed for not dodging everthing.
ITT People that get in melee range of enemies not wanting to get hit by enemies. I agree with Blizzards mechanic 100%.
Intentional, move along now.

By move along I mean start pestering them about something else that they might still want to change like...HIT BOX TARGETING PROBLEM. It is not the same thing, this is about getting in range and getting hit no matter how far and fast you move afterwards and it's intentional and they don't want to change it BUT clicking 2 cm away from a zombie should not select it.

If someone comes in and says the 2 are related and neither can be changed without the other I'm gonna go ahead and scream "bad design (that took YEARS as well)" followed by "it better be fixed later (I do know they have time constraints) but not after PvP".
I think everyone is forgetting one crucial fact. This is a normal mode monster. Have you seen minions in hell and inferno? The speed of creatures will be so much higher, the animations will complete quicker as well. This won't even be noticed at later difficulties. Also, the idea for melee kiting is to NEVER go in range of these attacks. Kiting is still very much possible.
View profile
You can't "this" your own post.

It's 30% I thought.

Obviously the demon hunter, wizard and witch doc can avoid damage if they don't need 30% damage reduction.
yes i agree, only ranged attacks should be able to be dodged, this way, my barb has an advantage, since im really good at dodging
Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 4:23 PM PDT
View profile
04/11/2012 04:19 PMPosted by D3BETA
People that get in melee range of enemies not wanting to get hit by enemies.

Dude, have you played the beta or watched the videos the OP posted?

You can be REALLY REALLY FAR AWAY and STILL get hit. You are NOT in melee range, yet the monsters STILL land hits.

Of course if you are in melee range you SHOULD be hit. The issue is, players are far away, and NOT in melee range, and they are STILL getting hit.

BECAUSE they GOT in MELEE range IN the FIRST place.

This can't happen unless you are in melee range. So don't get in melee range. Or just accept that you will take some hits. A few hits won't kill you.
I foresee problems with this in inferno. Imagine trying to kite a monster, and you are fairly far away from it, but it still is landing hits on you. If you are playing a squishy wizard in inferno, those "undeserved" hits the monsters are landing are going to be the difference between success and failure.

If you were properly kiting and always far away, it will never hit you. If you failed at kiting and let the mob begin a swing, you get hit. People do not seem to understand that the reason they are getting hit is because they went into melee range; they are not being magically smacked from half a screen away.
Edited by Murdoch on 4/11/2012 4:22 PM PDT
View profile

You know it's not invisible because you were right next to the thing a second ago. Maybe you should have sent in the templar first?

This gives more leeway to ranged. They are designed to be hit by melee every now and then. Which means they aren't glass cannons. They take more damage than the barb and monk, but they can survive a few hits rather than instagibbed for not dodging everthing.

yes i agree, only ranged attacks should be able to be dodged, this way, my barb has an advantage, since im really good at dodging

But you take more hits in melee, and you can't always dodge.

Just like range take some hits from melee, and can't always kite.
My god, the majority of players are being such babies about this. It is a mechanic that makes sense. No, creep attacks do -not- smack you from half a screen away, once you put yourself in melee range you are getting hit regardless of you trying to juke your way out of it.

Read what I just wrote.

Melee range. There is no invisible arm smacking you from a screen away, you got into range and you were hit. End of story. Animations aside, qq. The game would not be a challenge at all if you could juke out of every autostrike, especially from melee mobs and ranged would have yet another inherent advantage. Think of it this way. You can run from a melee mob and avoid hits all day. Once you get in close though, it is safe to say it is a fair mechanic that regardless of movement your character is taking a hit.

It's fair, it's necessary, and it makes complete sense from a game design perspective.
04/11/2012 04:19 PMPosted by D3BETA
People that get in melee range of enemies not wanting to get hit by enemies.

Dude, have you played the beta or watched the videos the OP posted?

You can be REALLY REALLY FAR AWAY and STILL get hit. You are NOT in melee range, yet the monsters STILL land hits.

Of course if you are in melee range you SHOULD be hit. The issue is, players are far away, and NOT in melee range, and they are STILL getting hit.

Did you notice in the video that he was running in and out of melee range? Yes, well why should he get that close to an enemy and not suffer any consequences? If your answer to that question holds any merit at all, then this thread can continue.
Dodging isn't exclusive to one class anymore. (Dodge from DEX)
There are still shields to dampen hits.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 4:26 PM PDT
It's intentional. We don't want a game where the most effective way to play is to dodge in and out of enemy attacks. It's not that difficult to do, and it's just not a very fun way to play. "Most effective" and "not fun" just can't be in the same sentence when describing part of the game. We want combat to be based on use of abilities, putting thought into builds, building up offensive and defensive stats, etc. Skill is absolutely a part of all of the systems you'll use, and kiting can be too, but it'd be ridiculous if you could avoid all of the systems that make the game the game because you can time dodges of enemy attacks and negate every other factor.

Also think about just running past enemies to rush through an area and never being hit. Anyone looking to rush would love it! Which is why it's not a good idea from a design perspective. :) It's not something we'll be changing.

Thanks for clearing this up but how does it actually determine when we are hit or not? I have seen this happen to me, but it doesn't seem very predictable.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]