Diablo® III

Monster melee attack range

04/11/2012 04:27 PMPosted by D3BETA
So, the barb and monk are able to dodge ranged attacks. But the DH and wizard are not able to dodge melee attacks?

How are the barb and monk able to dodged ranged attacks and furthermore how is it only specific to these two heroes and not the wizard and DH?
View profile
04/11/2012 04:27 PMPosted by D3BETA
So, the barb and monk are able to dodge ranged attacks. But the DH and wizard are not able to dodge melee attacks?

Barb and monk are able to dodge ranged attacks, but not always.
They are not able to avoid melee because they have to be in melee so they get 30% damage reduction.

DH, Wizard and Witch doc are able to kite melee, but not always.
They are also able to dodge ranged attacks.

30% damage reduction = the amount of reduced damage from kiting melee.

That wasn't my post. I just copy and pasted it instead of quoting it.

Good try, though.

Seems more like fail on your part.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 4:31 PM PDT
I can relate that as CM you say ignore our valid complaints. I really hate that the zombies can attack my range classes such as the wizard and demon hunter when they move out of the way.

Why do the players get no skills they can cast while moving, but the enemies can hit players that are about 16 yards, or three paces, away? I like the weapon range from diablo 2 more than I like the system you designed for the trilogy.

I have never been so upset about anything in my entire life.

yes i agree, only ranged attacks should be able to be dodged, this way, my barb has an advantage, since im really good at dodging

But you take more hits in melee, and you can't always dodge.

Just like range take some hits from melee, and can't always kite.

only when our movement is hindered, otherwise all ranged attacks are dodged with relative ease
View profile
04/11/2012 04:32 PMPosted by BehemothGHun

You need help if a game mechanic is the most important thing in your life.
I can relate that as CM you say ignore our valid complaints. I really hate that the zombies can attack my range classes such as the wizard and demon hunter when they move out of the way.

Why do the players get no skills they can cast while moving, but the enemies can hit players that are about 16 yards, or three paces, away? I like the weapon range from diablo 2 more than I like the system you designed for the trilogy.

If after all the explanation this is what you think then I genuinely feel your pain that you think this.

Then you are a baby >_> And you misused the word trilogy. That would refer to the three games together, not the third one which is the next installment. No, monsters are not hitting you from 16 yards away. Think of it as punishment for getting into melee range. Again, there is no invisible anything smacking you from across the screen you get into range, you deal with the consequences... and besides, one last hit when you turn to flee is hardly anything to get so upset about. Dota2 does this, in fact a ranged attacker can easily get an auto off that's more than twice his range once he was in range enough to begin an attack animation.

Not fair, and it makes sense. Somewhere there you -are- in range and deserve the damage that goes along with whatever attack hits you.

How are the barb and monk able to dodged ranged attacks and furthermore how is it only specific to these two heroes and not the wizard and DH?

they arent, pit the ranged classes vs themselves, and thats where real pvp will be

ranged vs ranged is where the skill will show, where the tables are equal.

ranged vs melee, melee have the advantage

and melee vs melee is now a dps race with stuns
Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 4:38 PM PDT
3 Human Rogue
Honestly, people compare apples to oranges when they are trying to make a inherently bias judgement.To take a big Ogre/Boss fight example: If a boss is reeling back for a big swing, chances are, you can most likely move out of his path/swing and not take damage. That is true with every rpg/mmo/arpg thats been made. Now if he does a mass pull that pulls all players to him and does a quick cleave, you'll end up taking the hit yes because that was intended and for you realistic fans out there, his arm length will be longer than you can run away within that second.(Truthfully you can duck in real life...but yeah, game world and no ducking feature)

Bash's statement is this: If there is a line of zombie or other type of mobs but there is a small hole in that line, say enough to "physically" fit your body through it, and close enough that you could feel/smell its breath(for you visual people) and you run through it, you will get hit obviously. The hit already register because you dedicated to move through that hole and came in contact with it. If you choose to get into melee or if you were forced by getting pinchered/overwhelm/pulled then you deserved to get hit and have to scrambled to get out. You can't expect to roll out in that situation can you?

Also, melee range isn't clearly defined in real life or in game worlds. There is no way to define the reach of an attack. You can jump/hop back from an armless man and avoid damage, but what about if he has arms, has a dagger, or a bastard sword. What about if its a spear, a lance, pike or a halberd/Glaive. Can you do a simple hop back and avoid getting skewered by a thrusting pike, what about if its its a full swing? These are all typical melee attacks and weapons but they all have different length and thus different reach correct? From a couple of centimeter/inches from the armless man to 20 or so feet(roughly 5 meters) of pikes and such. Whose to say that these "hellish" creature who are three, four times or even more your size can't hit you.

Personally, I've never been hit unless I'm in or was in melee range of packs of mobs. Even so, as I was running away, I would take and notice the damage as soon as I was roughly 1-2 character steps away which is roughly realistic. I've never seen hits register if I'm half a screen away and didnt touch the group and as I stated, when I do enter melee that split second, the hits would have already register as soon as I'm 1-2 steps away.
I'm still waiting for anybody out there to dispute the points I have made.
04/11/2012 04:47 PMPosted by D3BETA
Seems more like fail on your part.

How is that?

You assumed I "this-ed" my own post. You were wrong.

You made an assumption, and were wrong.

Seems more like a "fail" on YOUR part.

Haha, I gotta agree.
04/11/2012 04:44 PMPosted by D3BETA
I'm still waiting for anybody out there to dispute the points I have made.

You ran into range, the mob began it's attack. You ran out before that attack had the chance to reach you, yet you are still hit because of an artificial code mandate. What you saw on screen is not what happened "in game". It's ironic, because it's a direct result of trying to sync animation with combat resolution i.e. create WYSIWYG, and has resulted in the exact opposite of this.

There were and are better ways of dealing with the problem. Why not have some mobs with fast short range attacks triggered when players get within range that become effectively "undodgeable" except via stats/abilities? This not only matches onscreen action with combat resolution, but adds gameplay. Now you have to be aware what sort of mob you are dealing with, and it adds gameplay diversity. Win/win.

A generic, artificial solution like the one currently imposed breaks the inherent visual contract of the action gameplay.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 4:56 PM PDT
It's a sensible mechanic, certainly. The attacks are triggered once the player is within range, and applied once the animation finishes. It would be unfair if the players could shuffle in and out of close range to avoid all damage. And going by just the video from the original post, skill dodges are very much present. Observe the hand attacks of the Grotesque, and how they can be avoided just fine. In addition, the original gameplay video (and Blizzcon 2010 B-roll) shows that the Dark Berzerkers have a wind-up melee attack that's meant to be dodged.

You can't avoid every melee attack, the same way you can't avoid every ranged attack. Armor and Defense is still important. It's still unknown if there is a maximum range to the melee attacks that can be exceeded with enough +speed bonuses. We'll find out in the main game.
04/11/2012 05:00 PMPosted by D3BETA
It's still unknown if there is a maximum range to the melee attacks that can be exceeded

This is the most important detail of all of this, in my opinion.
I imagine so. It would be a poor choice on Blizzard's part to let players stack speed until they resemble the Road Runner, then deny them the simple pleasure of running circles around enemies.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]