Diablo® III

Spiders are a bit awkward to use.

90 Orc Hunter
Constantly throwing jars is a bit awkward and annoying to be honest. I'm not sure if this skill is finalized yet but I do think it needs some work. Possibly more spiders that last longer and give the spell a cooldown.

Anyone else feel this way?
Edited by Gryz on 4/15/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nope. Hold down shift and spider spam. Works great with the snare.
Reply Quote
I been wondering how could TD carry sooo many jars lol. p.s they are big jars
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
04/15/2012 04:23 PMPosted by D3BETA
Nope. Hold down shift and spider spam. Works great with the snare.
This is how I use the spider move. I'm not saying it's not a good skill I'm saying it's incredibly awkward throwing so many jars.
Edited by Gryz on 4/15/2012 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think you've probably been playing too much SF2.

The only thing I find awkward is your confusion with the two words "skill" and "move."
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I think you've probably been playing too much SF2.

The only thing I find awkward is your confusion with the two words "skill" and "move."
Fixed. 25 years ago all spells, skills, and attacks were called "moves". Old habits die hard.
Reply Quote
As a primary skill, Spiders is supposed to be cheap and spammable. Adding more damage/more cost/a cooldown/more spiders would probably mean shifting it to Secondary.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warrior
The jar of spiders just looks stupid. I hope they do something to it, or just replace it completely. All the other classes have fast, short to long range attacks, while the doctor is left with a spider bomb that only lasts for a few seconds. The poison darts are a much better attack to spam imo.
Reply Quote
nerd rage
Reply Quote
the spiders are really fun, it takes getting use to though
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I LOVE the spiders. I like to think of them as a wandering DoT like Haunt rather than a summon. After I get my Soul Harvest stacks, lay down my Grasp, and Haunt the dangerous targets, Spider spam in the general vicinity of foes makes a great filler. Also, I do not think ANY Witch Doctor ability is more damaging on single targets by themselves than Corpse Spiders; with the Leaping Spiders rune, you are talking about 19% per weapon speed times 4 for about 5 seconds; assuming 5 hits, that is 380% damage per casting. With 5 stacks of Soul Harvest my spiders are hitting for 12 damage, its crazy.

EDIT: Apparently I am wrong about their damage. Oh well. I still like them. I am reading that each Spider only attacks twice. Oh well. I am going to go play around.
Edited by TIFour#1558 on 4/17/2012 8:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have to admit, I hate spiders IRL however......

Although the first spiders without the leap skill seemed weaker, the rune seemed to make them a bit more effective. I like the crashing of the urns.

Not sure how she carries them all... but regardless, seems fun.

I know I am going to have nightmares about spiders when the full version is released and I have been playing for hours before I go to bed....
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I feel that the spider plus grasp works very well but i think its odd to have 2 (basically) dot skills paired up like that.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I feel that the spider plus grasp works very well but i think its odd to have 2 (basically) dot skills paired up like that.

I plan on using nothing but DoTs. DoTs do not scale with Weapon Attack speed and the slower 2-handed weapons at higher levels are almost double the DPS of 1-handers. If I used a mix of DoTs and nuke spells, then I'd have to resort to a 1-hander for my nuke spells and my DoTs would suffer.
Reply Quote
I love 'em.
Reply Quote
04/18/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Obliquatur
I plan on using nothing but DoTs. DoTs do not scale with Weapon Attack speed and the slower 2-handed weapons at higher levels are almost double the DPS of 1-handers. If I used a mix of DoTs and nuke spells, then I'd have to resort to a 1-hander for my nuke spells and my DoTs would suffer.

The best possible weapon for DoT-heavy build may well be a 2-h.

However, Mojos add +Damage (and can have other damage stats like Int) so a mojo can make up for the lower weapon damage on a 1h. This means that for most 2h it's possible to get a ih/mojo combination that makes your DoTs do the same damage.
Reply Quote
Spiders are awesome. Throw on leaping spiders and you're getting 152 damage for 5 mana. They won't choose a particular target, but spamming them will coat your enemies in tiny bites.

I think the 2 handed plan is a flawed one. Let's take a simple example. Your staff-armed Witch Doctor is equipped with a level 5 staff doing 13.5 damage per second, attacking once per second. My dagger armed witch doctor does 11.2 damage per second, three times per 2 seconds. So you're doing more damage. That all stops mattering when I equip a +2 damage wanga doll, increasing my DPS by 3. Result: I'm doing 14.2 damage per second, and any secondary effects my spells may have will occur 50% more frequently.

And that completely disregards the benefits of any affixes you might have on your offhand: More int, more crit, etc.
Reply Quote
04/18/2012 04:27 PMPosted by TheJackal
I think the 2 handed plan is a flawed one.

It can make sense to say "if I have to choose between a 2h setup or 1h/oh setup with equal dps I will choose the 2h setup" (by dps I mean the in-game stat after taking into account both weapons.)

However planning on always using a 2h to try and boost dots is a bad idea because you might craft/drop a 1h/oh combo that actually deals more damage.
Reply Quote
So, after having actually gotten my spiders runed to jump, I've got to say, they're fantastic. You may not find the aesthetic appealing, but their flexibility and damage is really good for their cost. You can fling them through doorways into regions where you have little visibility, and they'll find targets for you and start adding damage. Yes, they're not going to be easily directed, so you'll want to complement them with good AOE and single-target options. This is the beta build I'm using currently, and I'm quite happy with the results:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#beZY!Z!a.aa

Dogs do the blocking, combined with my Templar. Grasp of the dead gets laid down for group damage and area control, haunt is used to make priority targets die faster, as well as just put on a few group targets to encourage swift death for packs, and spiders is my cheap, semi-autonomous filler. They're great versus single targets, rapidly eroding their health under a fusilade of tiny bites.

This setup makes dealing with the skeleton king pretty easy. Haunt plus a near-constant stream of spiders keeps his health dropping, dogs and companion get in his way, and grasp covers my retreat when skeletons are summoned.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I like how the corpse spiders originally came from, you guessed it, a corpse.

A zombie climbing just far enough out of the group to spit spiders is badass, i dont know if it was changed so they could make it spamable or what the reasoning was but i miss the animation
Edited by ALittleHazey#1268 on 4/19/2012 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]