Diablo® III

ANZ forum does

not make up for the lack of our own server!
Reply Quote
Bioware can do it
Reply Quote
Super Monday Night Combat, a free to play indie game can do it.
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 07:19 AMPosted by zombat

Aus/NZ don't need their own server. We really don't need this special forum section either. But I'm glad we do have this forum section though. So we Aussies and NZ people can unite here. So thanks for making this forum section.
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 08:17 AMPosted by theeighthark

Aus/NZ don't need their own server.

Why not?
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 08:25 AMPosted by D3BETA

Aus/NZ don't need their own server.

Why not?

I explained this here a few days ago. So I'll copy/paste here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4366254067?page=1

This I believe is a bad idea. From a Blizzard perspective.

Sure we'd like it. But I don't know if it can be justified cost wise.

1. Would there be enough users in our region to make this viable?
2. Could we get Telstra or iinet or someone to play ball to make this happen?
3. Would the Aus/NZ people be ok with not being able to play online with their US friends anymore? Cause if we had our own servers we'd not be using NA anymore. Well you could on the NA servers. But your Aus/NZ characters would be locked to that server and no NA people will ever be able to Co-Op with them.
4. For me I get a very decent latency from the NA servers in SC2 and D3. Very well enough to play the games without issue most of the time. And I'm only on a 1.5Mbit connection (can't get better in my area). So would a local server give better latency for us?

For these reasons I'm happy to piggyback onto the NA servers.

And here's more stuff I've typed on this:

1. Maybe you are right. Blizzard could do it. They can afford it. But would blizzard or activision be willing to spend the money on it. And if they did would it generate any more profits? Would more people buy D3 just because we have an Aussie server? I don't know. I think Aussies will buy the game no matter where the servers are. Sure for smaller games they need to get Aussie servers or they lose sales. But this is not the case for Blizzard.

2. It's not about permission it's about having the bandwidth and infrastructure available to make a high use server here. Not 100% sure if you need them to play ball on this. But you seem to think they don't. I have no idea. it was just a random thought. Maybe you know more then I do on this.

3. I for one would not be happy with it. Why should I have to level a new character just to play with my NA or Aussie friend? As it stands now I can play with my favourite character I've levelled with my Aussie and NA friends. In the same Co-Op game is I so wish. I have the choice. With separate A/NZ and NA servers we don't have that choice. We are forced to have new characters on the other server if we cant to play with them. Yes we can make characters on multiple realms. But we should not be forced to just to play with our old NA friends.

4. 200-400 ish latency IS decent enough to play D3. I have done it all beta with no issues. Yes the US people have their 50 latency. And I know they consider that normal. I'm not talking about who considers what "normal". I'm talking about what latency the game is well playable under. And for me it's well playable at 200-400. If it was not I'd be right into Blizzard with complaints to fix the latency issue as would so many other people.

So the point there is the US call 50 normal. We call 200-400 normal. We just expect different levels of latency. But the game is playable at 200-400. 600 though it does start to get noticeable. And harder to play.
Reply Quote
1. Maybe you are right. Blizzard could do it. They can afford it. But would blizzard or activision be willing to spend the money on it...

2. It's not about permission it's about having the bandwidth and infrastructure available to make a high use server here...

3. I for one would not be happy with it. Why should I have to level a new character just to play with my NA or Aussie friend?...

4. 200-400 ish latency IS decent enough to play D3. I have done it all beta with no issues. Yes the US people have their 50 latency...

1. If people understood what's going on they would definitely lose sales, but they very cleverly said there would be Australian servers and then changed their mind recently so that only the people keeping up to date will know. Other players will pay $20 extra, receive their copy, experience less-than-favourable gameplay on American servers and they'll be pissed off. Sure they've already bought this game, but what about the next? Are you suggesting they won't see a drop in profits from pissing off an entire country like Australia, a country that no doubt contributes a LOT to their bottom line? The fact is, as you said, they just plain don't want to spend the money - maybe a good business decision in raw numbers, but for the companies reputation (the same reputation that has gotten them where they are) it's a real blow.

2. There's no reason why they would need anyone's permission to set up a server here. They would set up the same as any other internet business sets up a server.

3. As mentioned - this is already how things work in WoW and you might recall that WoW could easily be considered one of the most successful games in gaming history. While you might 'mind' there's no actual region locking so there's nothing stopping you and your friends from all rolling your characters on the same region to begin with.

4. You're missing the point: we shouldn't be aiming for "decent" we should be aiming for "near perfect". This a AAA title with a massive fanbase the world over, the game could easily see 3 - 4 million sales in it's first few days (SC2 saw 1.5 million in the first 48 hours). The amount of money this game will bring in for Blizzard is absolutely staggering and for the $80 we're paying I don't think it's fair for our gameplay experience to be affected by decisions made purely for the sake of "more money". I think given that we are paying such an unfairly inflated price for the game we certainly deserve to be provided the same experience as Americans.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/11/2012 2:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You make good points and I do agree with most of them.

We are paying a little inflated price for D3 I do agree sadly. But we're not getting "less-than-favourable gameplay on American servers" as you put it. I think we're getting just fine gameplay on the US servers.

I do see your point. We should expect the best and complain if we don't get it. I've never played any Blizzard game with 50ms latency so I don't know what I'm missing out on. I would like to try 50ms one day though to see what it's like. But alas I don't that's possible any time soon. But I'm so not complaining. I get a fine gameplay experience as is.

I am perfectly fine with no separate Aus/NZ server. And happy with the latency I get on the NA servers. So if Blizzard ever asks us again should we make a Aus/NZ server (regardless if they actually do it or not) I will be telling them for the time being no. I am yet to see any real positive for us Aussies or Blizzard for having servers here.
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 02:50 PMPosted by theeighthark
We are paying a little inflated price for D3 I do agree sadly. But we're not getting "less-than-favourable gameplay on American servers" as you put it. I think we're getting just fine gameplay on the US servers.

Are you in the Diablo 3 beta? Either you're basing your opinion off a different Blizzard game or you are setting your 'just fine' bar very low.
Reply Quote
i hate seeing people stick up for blizzard and say we should just be happy with what they give us. they arent giving us anything, we are purchasing a product, we are paying more than the US for it. the US is being provided with a local server. oceania is not. so you can keep kissing the !@# and be "thankful for a forum"? but in the end, blizzards just taking the dollars and laughing. fantastic "polish" blizz
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]