04/11/2012 07:19 AMPosted by zombatnot make up for the lack of our own server!
04/11/2012 08:25 AMPosted by D3BETA
Aus/NZ don't need their own server.
This I believe is a bad idea. From a Blizzard perspective.
Sure we'd like it. But I don't know if it can be justified cost wise.
1. Would there be enough users in our region to make this viable?
2. Could we get Telstra or iinet or someone to play ball to make this happen?
3. Would the Aus/NZ people be ok with not being able to play online with their US friends anymore? Cause if we had our own servers we'd not be using NA anymore. Well you could on the NA servers. But your Aus/NZ characters would be locked to that server and no NA people will ever be able to Co-Op with them.
4. For me I get a very decent latency from the NA servers in SC2 and D3. Very well enough to play the games without issue most of the time. And I'm only on a 1.5Mbit connection (can't get better in my area). So would a local server give better latency for us?
For these reasons I'm happy to piggyback onto the NA servers.
1. Maybe you are right. Blizzard could do it. They can afford it. But would blizzard or activision be willing to spend the money on it. And if they did would it generate any more profits? Would more people buy D3 just because we have an Aussie server? I don't know. I think Aussies will buy the game no matter where the servers are. Sure for smaller games they need to get Aussie servers or they lose sales. But this is not the case for Blizzard.
2. It's not about permission it's about having the bandwidth and infrastructure available to make a high use server here. Not 100% sure if you need them to play ball on this. But you seem to think they don't. I have no idea. it was just a random thought. Maybe you know more then I do on this.
3. I for one would not be happy with it. Why should I have to level a new character just to play with my NA or Aussie friend? As it stands now I can play with my favourite character I've levelled with my Aussie and NA friends. In the same Co-Op game is I so wish. I have the choice. With separate A/NZ and NA servers we don't have that choice. We are forced to have new characters on the other server if we cant to play with them. Yes we can make characters on multiple realms. But we should not be forced to just to play with our old NA friends.
4. 200-400 ish latency IS decent enough to play D3. I have done it all beta with no issues. Yes the US people have their 50 latency. And I know they consider that normal. I'm not talking about who considers what "normal". I'm talking about what latency the game is well playable under. And for me it's well playable at 200-400. If it was not I'd be right into Blizzard with complaints to fix the latency issue as would so many other people.
So the point there is the US call 50 normal. We call 200-400 normal. We just expect different levels of latency. But the game is playable at 200-400. 600 though it does start to get noticeable. And harder to play.
1. Maybe you are right. Blizzard could do it. They can afford it. But would blizzard or activision be willing to spend the money on it...
2. It's not about permission it's about having the bandwidth and infrastructure available to make a high use server here...
3. I for one would not be happy with it. Why should I have to level a new character just to play with my NA or Aussie friend?...
4. 200-400 ish latency IS decent enough to play D3. I have done it all beta with no issues. Yes the US people have their 50 latency...
04/11/2012 02:50 PMPosted by theeightharkWe are paying a little inflated price for D3 I do agree sadly. But we're not getting "less-than-favourable gameplay on American servers" as you put it. I think we're getting just fine gameplay on the US servers.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.