Diablo® III

Haunt Sniping, DoT builds :D

90 Goblin Shaman
Plain and simple, I love the idea of Haunt. It is the reason why I chose Witch Doctor to begin with. However, once I actually got it, I began to see REALLY fast how it isn't useful for spamming and general damage and I was sad.

I continued to use it though and I learned its strengths over time; it makes a GREAT sniping tool. If you have a target highlighted when you cast it, it is guaranteed to hit that target.

I know that doesn't seem too useful as things currently are, but I have to wonder how good this ability will be in Inferno. It can already be somewhat annoying to damage specific targets if they like hiding or running away (the little goblin dude and skeleton Summoners come to mind), but I was using haunt to literally guarantee their death on sight. How useful will this be when enemies start using CC on us or maybe we will encounter more foes with even more annoying battle tactics.

I want to build my Witch Doctor entirely around Haunt and Locusts. The overall strategy looks like it is going to be DoT->CC->Run->DoT->CC->Run. I wonder how useful this is going to be. Recalling my previous Diablo 2 experience, the ability to run around while damaging foes was a golden strategy.

What does the forums think? How about builds; I want to use Haunt and Locusts, but what other abilities might be useful to synergize with this? Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.
Edited by Obliquatur on 4/18/2012 8:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Thinking about it more, this build would favor 2 handed weapons over a 1-hander and a Doll because it wouldn't benefit much from weapon speed at all. That could potentially allow me to stack more Crit and Intelligence instead. Maybe some other effects that I am not aware of.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm not sure about weapons yet. Ceremonial daggers seem to have higher than average damage and maybe the class stats on them, like Mana Regen, will be really useful, but that's something we can't now for sure yet.

About Haunt and DoT builds... I like a Spirit Build. I too loved the idea of Haunt and was delighted when it was buffed. That being said, I see it as a spell you need to mix with something else. Haunt, Spirit Barrage and Grasp of the Dead are what I'm looking at; a DoT, a nuke and an AoE snare that also has a DoT component.

You can GotD and then Haunt the slowed thrash targets, or Haunt and Barrage the Elite and Boss ones. With your selected array of utility spells, of course. In beta, as we can't test Barrage, I'm using the Fire Bats as a nuke; at higher levels, Rush of Essence will probably make Barrage better.

For a Haunt + Locusts build you'll probably want big helpers. Gargantuan tanking, at least. I worry, though, that if you mix every DoT there is and spam them, the damage would be close to burst and you'll be going OOM after every thrash pack. Gargantuan, dual DoT and GotD, maybe? Just think of the Gargantuan as a fleshy rotting ugly tanking DoT.
Reply Quote
I really like the idea of dots too and made a build a while ago. Like u said: place the dots and queen and kite around. u got lots of cc for that (can switch out spirit walk for horrify too, for example, because with dots it doesnt matter so much, if the mobs scatter in all directions)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bSeZUj!ZWa!ZZcaca

It can be switched around quite a bit. This is for lvl 57, but it might be viable earlier too, u just have to change the haunt rune (life leech might be good anyhow, then u have two health regain sources with spirit walk). If mana is a problem, take the widowmaker spiders or the mana-dart.

u can also change the passives. the circle of life passive works really well in the beta. just kill a few enemies in close distance and then u can stay away from the action when the max dogs are spawned.

if u have more then enough mana (which u probably will have, as even with PtV ur dot spells should return their cost and spider-queen doesnt cost anything) u can change spiders vs a burst-dmg spell like firebats or direbats or maybe spirit barrage. with spirit barrage the rush of essence passive becomes interesting. u can also rune it, so it returns mana. so in comclusio mana should be no problem.

furthermore, with locust swarm and spiderqueen, u can take bad medicine as a passive becaúse its both poison dmg (either for PtV if u do enough dmg or for circle of life if u dont need dogs for cc) and take even less dmg.

all in all a viable build, i think. u have lots of cc and enough dmg. mana should be fine. and u can easily adjust it to ur liking like outlined above.

I dont know, if the dmg is enough. in the beta u get haunt very late and its overkill, because the mobs are so low-leveled. but with locust swarm and spider-queen and PtV it should work imo.
Edited by stavrogijn#2874 on 4/18/2012 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I wasn't thinking about spamming my abilities, really. Locusts spread by default and Haunt can easily be rolled onto like 4 or five targets within my current mana easily.

CC (such as Grasp, Horrify, etc.)->Locusts->Haunt 4 or 5 targets->"Wait/Regen Mana/Run around strategically"

^is around what I was thinking about. Sure, I could pile on more damage to that rotation, but that would further hinder my mana usage, which is pretty high by this point, and I still need room on my bars for Soul Harvest and a survivability CD.

As for the weapons, I am sure we will see a divide as stats grow. Right now the average 2 hander is around 15 DPS whereas the average 1-hander is around 13 DPS. Just looking at the Game Guide weapons, a white 1 handed Cerimonial Knife at level 60 is 219-223 DPS whereas a white 2-handed staff at level 60 is 409-421 DPS. Since DoTs do not scale with weapon speed, we could go for the staff instead and get more mileage.
Edited by Obliquatur on 4/18/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah a dot build will be fun. Especially in pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I made up this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#eSZkdQ!XWU!ZcaZcY

[] Haunt and Locust as my two primary DoTs, both spammable to all enemies as I run around, and also two different forms of elemental damage in case of running into immune foes. I know the Vengeful Spirit rune for Haunt says 0% and such, but I am almost 100% positive that it is actually just a typo and the rune buffs the base damage, as all spells seem to have.

[] Grasp and Wall as DoT patches that slow to kite my enemies around with.

[] Soul Harvest, should be easier to pull off against snared foes.

[] Big Bad Voodoo as a healing CD and speed booster for dodging, or just a straight up damage buff. It's versatile and, as you will see below, my skills need to be on CD all the time.

[] Pierce the Veil to amp up my DoTs even more and Blood Ritual to curb the extra costs as well as give me some passive healing. Four of the abilities on my bar are CDs, there is no reason I should ignore this passive.
Reply Quote
I'm planning on my build focusing on these two DoTs as well. With how difficult they're claiming Inferno will be, mobility will be very valuable and DoTs fit this role perfectly.

Also important to keep in mind that with 2h the ticks will hit harder thus making the # of haunts (paired with locusts) needed to take out a group of enemies smaller.

I know its not empirically accurate but its all we have at this point. In the beta it only takes 1-2 haunts + gotd to take out most groups (this is with 1h+oh too). I admit I hadn't played with it (haunt) as much as I probably should have in previous patches, but last night the biggest thing I noticed was how big the range on it's jumping effect is. Its got to be 7-15 yards or so.
Reply Quote
Resentful Spirit
summon a vengeful spirit that does 288% weapon damage as Arcane over 2 seconds.

What about this rune effect?, might be more useful earlier difficulties. Unlocks at 23
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Eww, not using Resentful Spirit then :-p I will probably use Grasping Spirit then for more snaring effects, or maybe Draining Spirit so that my Haunts are quite literally free to cast.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geZVYj!Ydf!aabZZZ

this is the build I was planning on doing around Haunt and Spirit Barrage.

Dogs = Tank and damage on sacrifice. Runed so that they drop health globes when they die. Sacrificed runed to make more dogs.

Grasp = Snare and runed to get more health globes.

Mass Confusion = CC and runed to make more dogs which in turns makes health globes upon sacrifice.

Gruesome feast = Now here is the interesting passive. Depending on how reliable the health globes drop (maybe I should play with classes that has chance to proc health globes as well), and depending on how much intel you can have at lvl 60, this HP and Intel stack might be much more worth it then using soul harvest which requires you to run into a group of mobs. We shall see how this works out later.
Reply Quote
mine: http://eu.battle.net/d3/es/calculator/witch-doctor#geYVkZ!XfW!YabYYa

It got all I need, aoe,cc,dot,dogs life regen D:.... I love it xD
Reply Quote
Resentful Spirit
summon a vengeful spirit that does 288% weapon damage as Arcane over 2 seconds.

What about this rune effect?, might be more useful earlier difficulties. Unlocks at 23

Thats what I'll be using. It'll do by far the most dps of the rune choices, the downside will be that it will also be by far the most mana intensive. Hopefully Vision Quest and Grave Injustice will provide enough regen to make spamming Resentful Spirits viable for me though.

04/18/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Obliquatur
Eww, not using Resentful Spirit then :-p I will probably use Grasping Spirit then for more snaring effects, or maybe Draining Spirit so that my Haunts are quite literally free to cast.

Grasping Spirit will be GREAT for pvping, fire and forget snaring + damage on every opponent? Yes please!
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 4/18/2012 5:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
To quote an earlier Witch Doctor thread, "So... Why would any WD NOT use soul harvest?" I think it is pretty much a staple spell of ours, being both offensive and defensive.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Snaring in general seems awesome. Grasp alone in the Beta is just godly and SO under appreciated by most WDs it seems.
Reply Quote
Unbreakable Grasp + Grave Injustice = winning
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]