Diablo® III

Question about the black soulstone

Didn't Zoltun Kulle create the black soul stone? And if he did then it's not from the world stone. Which then opens possibilities of what it's purpose(s) actually is. I mean correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/17/2012 10:19 PMPosted by Bloodtrail
Didn't Zoltun Kulle create the black soul stone? And if he did then it's not from the world stone. Which then opens possibilities of what it's purpose(s) actually is. I mean correct me if I'm wrong.
Zoltun Kulle was seeking power and immortality. He was in charge of keeping the soulstones while the Horadrim tracked and trapped the Prime Evils. We might even speculate that it was not just Baal's fault that the Amber Soulstone shattered during their ambush on Baal, but possibly even Zoltun's so that he could whisk away a few shards of it for his own alchemical experiments later on.

After the Hunt for the Three he went on to create many vast hidden libraries of dark and forbidden knowledge as he researched a means to create an entirely new Soulstone to serve his purposes.

The Book of Cain refers to the Black Soulstone as Zoltun's attempt to create an artifact to replace his own black heart. Simply put, Zoltun went Mad and he went Bad. Very Bad. We know that the Black Soulstone is intended to be capable of entrapping Angels and Demons, but we don't yet know for sure why this would have been important to Zoltun.

[SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER]
[YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.]
Cain writes to Leah in The Book of Cain that the means by which the Horadrim stopped Zoltun Kulle is one of the order's greatest secrets, and he does not reveal it. However, during a demo the developers revealed to us that Zoltun Kulle did succeed in becoming Immortal, and the only way the Horadrim were able to stop him was by cutting off his head, and separating it from his body by binding it in a separate dimension.

Now if Zoltun already had immortality, we have to wonder what greater purpose he would have needed the Black Soulstone for. Cain writes of it as though Zoltun intended to replace his own heart. Metaphorical or not, it seems likely that Zoltun intended to use it for a very personally intimate purpose, possibly to augment or empower himself even further. Perhaps there was an intention that if it was filled with the essence of angels and demons that he could draw upon their powers to augment his own?
[/SPOILER] [/SPOILER] [/SPOILER] [/SPOILER] [/SPOILER] [/SPOILER]

Regardless, we won't know anything for sure until we can play through the whole story.
Edited by Xodin#1776 on 4/18/2012 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
[EDIT : Added spacing to push down spoilers.]
[SPECULATION & SPOILERS ABOUT D3 PLOT]

Don't scroll down if you want to remain unspoiled...

If it's true that the black soulstone can contain the essence of both demons and angels (as Deckard "says" in the Book of Cain), and (as seems likely in the Soulstone cinematic), we recover it during Act 2, I think it's been infected with the essence of the brothers (from the void, I guess?), and in Act 4, we'll see Imperious get spiked with it, and be fighting Imperious/Diablo as the final boss.

[/SPOILERS AND SPECULATION]
Edited by Lithrian#1288 on 4/18/2012 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/18/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Lõri
Regardless, we won't know anything for sure until we can play through the whole story

Good enough for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]