Diablo® III

Why Inferno *Will* Be Beaten In A Few Months!

- and why this is okay :)

Well, will try to keep this short (ha ha). I've seen so many threads and posts saying silly things like "oh wow if Diablo 3 Inferno is beaten before the end of 2012 it's too easy". Some people claim to want this game to be harder than anything so far. We've just had a pretty big thread with some guy adamantly claiming that the game *won't* be beaten by the end of the year.

I say: horsefeathers. And more than this - no one in their right mind actually *wants* this to be the case.

This is why I believe this.

1) Supergamers.

Some people are just really good at videogames. Whether it's a skill or a product of them having a lot of spare time: it's just the way it is.

This is very common in Asia and you see some games designed to deliberately appeal to guys like this. Dark Souls is one of the more mainstream ones. Give Touhou and Mushihime a look too. I've personally seen some guy beat Touhou on the hardest setting at a local arcade, on one play.

In the West, probably the hardest legitimate game (that is good) is World Of Warcraft - Heroic Raiding. Say what you want about WoW, Heroic Ragnaros, Mimiron, Yogg0, Lich King, Sinestra, Nefarion and others are pretty damn difficult - too hard (prenerf) for almost everyone.

And yet guilds like Paragon routinely kill them within 2 or 3 weeks.

With gamers like this out there - Diablo 3 will be beaten within amonth or two, and most of this delay will be about gearing. If they don't, there is some sort of roosterblock in place or this game is overtuned.

Just because they can do it, however, doesn't mean that many others will.

2) Hard = Good. Impossible = Bad.

From the above, to make a game that even the top 10% can't beat more than likely means overtuning it to the extent that it becomes nearly impossible. We've seen some fights try this in WoW - Mu'ru is one that comes to mind.

The problem with this is it creates a scenario that just isn't fun and becomes more about RNG and banging your head against it until the law of averages lets you through.

Blizzard isn't stupid. They may make Inferno hard as nails and out of reach for the average player without a significant amount of gearing and practice, but I'm sure they know that *some* players are going to be good enough to barrel through.

3) Extra Content.

So, what's the answer?

Pretty much to just stay ahead of the wave. I'm sure that every few months Blizzard will add some new content to the game. Not a full 'tier' as in WoW, but some new bosses or events that will push the top level of players to the limit.

At the end of the day, people need to relax. Inferno will be very very hard. Some people will still beat it.

However, it's not likely to be *you* :D.
Reply Quote
...In the West, probably the hardest legitimate game (that is good) is World Of Warcraft - Heroic Raiding....

This completely voids your opinion if you think WoW raiding is hard.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see the game beaten long before expected. How soon that will be, I'm not sure. But I do agree that people will have 'completed' the game before the end of the year, that I'm sure of. Like the OP said, there are some people out there that have too much time on their hands and do nothing but dedicate all of it on video games.. I'm kind of jealous lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
...In the West, probably the hardest legitimate game (that is good) is World Of Warcraft - Heroic Raiding....

He qualified it with Heroic Raiding
Reply Quote

Yet again if you think any type of Raiding in warcraft is hard, Heroic or not, then you've never played a hard game before.
Reply Quote
60 Undead Death Knight
Me and my cousin are super diablo 2 nerds since 02 and plan on beating Inferno very quickly simply because we are most likely going to run through the other acts as fast as possible then worry about Inferno as the real game. Can not wait to see you all online.
Edited by Troylem#1298 on 4/18/2012 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am just hopeful I can't be killing Inferno finale boss the first week, I am growing more and more sick of redoing content over and over, burned out....

I am hopeful there is actual AI changes and not JUST boosts to HP/DPS of mobs and obnoxious modifiers that we can't dream of having ourselves even if just temp buffs.

The problem with D3, it's not likely most people will know it has happened.

I was playing Rift when the World First max character was announced, 2.5 days into the head start! haha I was on the same server, asked about it, was twin brothers who had the character going 24/7.

There will be plenty of serious 4 player teams trying, but I doubt Blizzard will share the who and when in game, and don't care that much.

I would argue Age of Conan raiding was harder, mentally mush after just an hour for me, with all the insanity of repetitive combos, killed the game I believe pretty much.
I know guild I was in, we all in quit in month 3 of release, otherwise it was a decent MMO.
Edited by Badfinger#1431 on 4/18/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
3) Extra Content.

So, what's the answer?

Pretty much to just stay ahead of the wave. I'm sure that every few months Blizzard will add some new content to the game. Not a full 'tier' as in WoW, but some new bosses or events that will push the top level of players to the limit.

I think new tiers of items and new affixes are the *only* content updates you should expect before the expansion. I would not expect new bosses or events pre expansion. Bashiok even basically said there wouldnt be any via twitter:

@Procrastajason Well, WoW is a subscription game. We'll have patches. New items, probably. New zones or bosses? Probably not.
Reply Quote
i dont think anybody will be suprised if inferno is beat in a few weeks.. i wouldnt be suprised if it was done in under a week... now HC inferno is another story. i think it will take a little while for this to happen.
Reply Quote

Yet again if you think any type of Raiding in warcraft is hard, Heroic or not, then you've never played a hard game before.

And you've never done a heroic raid before.
Reply Quote
I hope it takes me months. I want to enjoy the ever loving !@#$ outta this game.
Reply Quote

You just spurt out your opinion without backing it up often? You got a list of harder games you care to share with us? Not saying WoW was the hardest, but I'm also not saying heroic raiding was a walk in the park.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Can I totally go back on what I said before?

Ok, not totally, but I think there's some distinction to be made for 'legitimate' ability to beat Inferno, in that, we expect there could be ways, potentially exploits, potentially clever but cheesy mechanics, that could maybe allow a player to complete Inferno fairly quickly. The bet stands as-is, but I think if it could be revised it would be "X time before it becomes farmable", meaning someone can legitimately kill the end boss over and over and over without needing to take advantage of an exploit, or loophole, or some other thing we don't intend to be possible.

Of course we'll try to address any such issue as quickly as possible, but it's feasible that the first Inferno clear will be through use of unintended means. Technically still valid per the wording of the bet, but I think most can agree would go against the spirit of it.
Reply Quote
Its so sad to see WoW raiders think their game is hard. Every raid fight is "Do this at this time or else you wipe." There is no strategy. There is a specific way you are suppose to do it, and the only difficulty in completing that way is getting 10/25/40 people to stay awake long enough to keep playing Simon Says.

I can't wait for Diablo 3, a game from a series that actually requires you to use your brain. Every WoW player won't know what to do when they actually have to think instead of playing follow the leader.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]