Diablo® III

We are Anu.

Ok just a thought here. Anu was the first being. In an effort to become pure he cast out from within himself the darkness that lies within. This darkness and chaos took form and became Tathamet. They battled and when the dust settled, Anu ascended and spawned the angels, Tathamet's 7 heads formed the Prime and Lesser evils. But get this, since Inarius and Lilith and many other angel/demon couples procreated, we get the Nephalem. The Nephalem in essence are a union between light and dark, order and chaos. Are we, the descendants of the Nephalem like the original Anu, before he split in two?

If yes, what the hell does that make us? Gods? If yes, how come Inferno will be so hard then?

*that last question was a joke*
Reply Quote
if i remember correctly, my lore could be a TAD foggy on this one right now since i just woke up, but i believe that within each nephalem is the ABILITY to become very powerful...

now, after uldyssian sacrificed himself i know he did a clean sweep of all of his followers, the edyrem, but even from this there were still a few with more powerful abilities than others.

but in terms of being "god-like", i don't think it's THAT strong. i don't think we can rise to the power of uldyssian again and that's why he sacrificed himself because he realized he had gained too much power. so yeah, unfortunately, we are just SUPER powerful, but no longer rivaling the high heavens of the burning hells.

EDIT: changed spelling for "edyrem".
Edited by droq#1353 on 4/19/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with you on the power thing. I am, however, more intrigued by the fact that we are all in essence similar to the first being before the split. I'm just really curious about the ramifications of that fact. If it indeed is a fact.
Reply Quote
but no longer rivaling the high heavens of the burning hells.

Well we did kind of kill the three prime evils.
Reply Quote
04/19/2012 10:28 AMPosted by D3BETA
but no longer rivaling the high heavens of the burning hells.

Well we did kind of kill the three prime evils.

And all their little dogs too. Might I also ask, if the Angels are the children of Anu and the demons are spawns of Tathamet, what would we call ourselves in relation to the grand order of things? Seems to me among all sentient beings, in terms of completeness, light and dark, order and chaos, we are the most complete. What was Anu like before he split in two? Could that give us clues on who we as nephalem are and our purpose in the grand scheme?

Too many questions in the lore.
Reply Quote
I think not.

The angel of fate explained us as "outside of the natural order of creation so i cannot see their fate". Anu, Tathamet, the angels, and demons are part of the natural order of creation, but we are not. We are just byproducts that were tied to the Worldstone, and we were only influenced by the angels/demons through their power over the worldstone.

As far as Trang'Oul (or Tran'oul) goes, we know nothing of them. I can only assume that they are outside of the creation myth as well, or part of the pantheon of gods (1,001 monk gods holy thats a lot!) which are present in the game. It's also interesting how magic exists if we were abominations, perhaps magic in this system is drawing on the leftover and always present lifeforce of Anu? I agree, much unanswered questions.

Also, we need to stop bringing our Earth understanding of life into this. The Nephalem were not part of the Angel/Demon/Anu/Tathamet mythology. Anu was split in two, into angels and demons. You would need to put all angels and demons back together for that to happen. It stands to reason that it wouldnt be Anu anymore if humans were thrown back into the Anu recipe.

Our purpose is to give the Diablo universe a non-polar existence (not polar bears), aside from Angels being avatars of order, and the demons avatars of chaos and vices. They are really just two sides to the same powermad, violent, unforgiving coin. Things are starting to unravel towards armageddon and its obvious that the angels are losing themselves, and the demons are getting more powerful, from all of the lore in the book of cain. Who is to stop armageddon, besides the nephalem and perhaps Trang-oul and other "spectral dragon-like entities"?

Edit: And even the greek gods had their own competition, the Olympics. ;) Besides, it remains to be seen whether we'll see Uldyssian Jr. Although, I believe Leah is going to be Jr.
Edited by NeckRomancin#1308 on 4/19/2012 12:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wouldn't it stand to reason that since we are the product of the union between creatures part of the natural order, we too are, in a way, part of the grander scheme? The label "unnatural" was tacked on to the Nephalem by both Angels and Demons, which is already clouded in hatred and judgement against the other side. I bet in the long run they'll discover that we were meant to exist to do something.

It would be interesting to see Uldy Jr. make an appearance. lol
Reply Quote
I fully agree with you David. I also believe that is the reason the angels and demons were scared of us in the first place.

The first generation of Nephalem was ridiculously powerful, so much that Inarius felt the need to weaken us. What would have happened if we had hundreds or thousands of years to cultivate our power if Inarius had not weakened us? I think we would have very well become godlike.

With the worldstone gone, we will once again reach that type of power. Diablo 3 could include the undercurrent that both Heavan and Hell are against US, because we possess the power to throw the eternal conflict upside down. They need to act quickly or we could easily go out of control.
Reply Quote
where are you guys getting this information from. if its a book please tell me which because i must have it!
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 10:42 PMPosted by Flemeth
where are you guys getting this information from. if its a book please tell me which because i must have it!

Several books actually. First is the 3 book package, the sin war trilogy and second would be the book of cain.
Reply Quote
Wouldn't it stand to reason that since we are the product of the union between creatures part of the natural order, we too are, in a way, part of the grander scheme? The label "unnatural" was tacked on to the Nephalem by both Angels and Demons, which is already clouded in hatred and judgement against the other side. I bet in the long run they'll discover that we were meant to exist to do something.

It would be interesting to see Uldy Jr. make an appearance. lol

"Itherael
The Archangel of Fate. Sexless. Grey-clad Angel. The Great Lorekeeper of the High Heavens, and an Angel with vast knowledge of nearly everything. Though he rarely speaks, he is sought for guidance by his brethren in times of crisis. While unable to "see the future as such", he can see the strands of possibilities of things to come, but one thing eludes him still: Itherael cannot see mortals or their futures, as their existence was not meant to be at all."

This is why we are 'unnatural'
Reply Quote
@Doggir

I understand that part however that's the perspective of an angel. He deems us unnatural. I'm talking about the vast cosmos. Us being much like Anu before the divide, does that make us still, unnatural? Or are we just changing things to the way it was before the great divide?
Edited by SirDavid#1150 on 4/24/2012 2:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Human Mage
I don't think we're Anu per se, but essentially the Nephelum have come full-circle from the original Anu, epitomizing and encompassing all ideologies within a single being instead of being strictly light or dark.
Reply Quote
If something happened in the world how could it be unnatural? Obviously we were meant to be created if we were. If we weren't meant to be created we never would have been.

I think that Itherael is not able to see our future because our future is our choice. Unlike the Angels or Demons we have a choice. Angels will always be order and Demons will always be chaos, so it is easy to see their future.
Reply Quote
I think that Itherael is not able to see our future because our future is our choice. Unlike the Angels or Demons we have a choice. Angels will always be order and Demons will always be chaos, so it is easy to see their future.

Ginzo actually makes a valid point. Tyrael explicitly stated that humans are different than both Angels and Demons. Angels make self-sacrificing choices to defeat Evil simply because that is what they're constructed/ordered to do.

Humans are different in that they choose their actions. And that notion shows a capacity for them to become something much more.

But that can be spun to mean that humans ARE different since everything leading up to them was of a strict order. It was either good or evil. There was no in-between until Sanctuary and humans were created.
Reply Quote
@Ginzo

My point exactly. As we are pretty much like the undivided Anu, and still part of existence, how could we be unnatural? In fact, if you think about it, we are the most natural!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]