Diablo® III

Requesting that they not delete inactive char

(Locked)

I hereby request that they not delete characters that I haven't played in a while. I understand that this rule was in part due to space limitations in 2000 and in part due to everyone having several pack mule characters. They also seemed to lessen their strict adherence to the rule over time.

For Diablo 3, I request that they don't delete my character after 30 days. That's just mean. My urge to play Diablo is sometimes tempered by real life. Having to start from square one every six months or so is unfortunate and I hope it can be avoided for Diablo 3.

Any news from Blizzard on this Diablo II policy?
I believe there won't be any account/character deletion due to inactive
We had one for D2 only because one can make virtually unlimited number of characters
04/19/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Dispirit
i severely doubt they'll delete any of your characters

Agreed with real money involved I dont think they can delete anyones character.
No the real money thing dont matter to blizzard they say so right in the terms of service that they can delete any account for anny reason, or no reason whatsoever, at any time they choose to do so and without any sort of notification to you at all. So if you clicked the "I Agree to the terms" button then the company is not responcible for any money you loose, in any way shape or form, and have covered there buts just in case a power serge fries all there servers at once and millions of people loose billions of $ in BB.
60 Gnome Rogue
You got it, watch some D3 panels off Blizzcon 2011 on youtube (I think it was 2011) they state they won't ever be deleting your characters in D3.
They wont be deleting character in D3 like they did with D2 concerning inactive characters. This was already confirmed multiple times.
They have the 10 char limit for a reason.
We're in pretty uncharted territory here. Blizzard is essentially setting up a foreign market. Any foreign investor will tell you that you run a higher risk of loss due to governmental takings, regulations, war and the like. Even banks in the U.S. can assess fees and fines and pull from your account from time to time due to their terms of service. And, none of us will own our characters or items. Playing the game itself is a license.

The effect of character deletion on the auction house is unclear. On the one hand, it would incline players to convert items to gold or real money before they disappear. That could create periods of oversupply and low demand when the initial interest in the game peters out. That would only be temporary, though. But, it would generate more activity than not. The deletion of each individual item might drive up prices, but that increase could be offset by new in-game drops. A person who loses items through the inclination to sell or due to deletion might buy again, generating more activity in the auction house.

On the other hand, the threat of deletion would make the items worth less due to their volatility, which would hurt the value of items overall. Plus, the sheer loss of customer goodwill could eventually cause a severe lack of demand to use the auction house, particularly the real gold one. In other words, the inclination to cash out for stable money could completely outweigh the desire to buy-in for volatile gear subject to deletion.

I sure hope they don't delete characters. I'm concerned because Diablo 3 doesn't have a persistent account cost like World of Warcraft that covers the overhead of maintaining characters on the server.

(As an aside, I am very glad they don't have persistent fees tagged on Diablo 3. It is the reason I have never tried World of Warcraft or any other MMORPG.)
04/19/2012 10:23 AMPosted by D3BETA
They wont be deleting character in D3 like they did with D2 concerning inactive characters. This was already confirmed multiple times.

You posted while I was replying. I must have missed this confirmation. Do you have a link?
Request granted. Next?
This has been confirmed a million times, though I have no link - your characters will never be deleted by Blizzard. Only you and deranged gold farmers that steal your account can do that.
They are NOT deleting inactive toons for D3 because we don't have unlimited character slots like we did in Diablo 2.
90 Draenei Shaman
04/19/2012 10:57 AMPosted by D3BETA
unlimited character slots like we did in Diablo 2.

To clarify for Scourge before someone herp-derps about character limits per account in Diablo 2, he's referring to the ability to create an unlimited number of accounts in D2, since accounts were tied to email addresses, not CD keys.
04/19/2012 10:57 AMPosted by D3BETA
They are NOT deleting inactive toons for D3 because we don't have unlimited character slots like we did in Diablo 2.

They never delete toons, because they aren't called TOONS in D3. They are heroes. Or characters.
Since there is a 10 char limit and your copy is tied to your account, they wont have the problem of unlimited b.net accounts and characters.

They will not delete characters for the same reason that they don't do it in WoW.
04/19/2012 11:08 AMPosted by CyberGoat

They never delete toons, because they aren't called TOONS in D3. They are heroes. Or characters.

They're all toons to me, Bro.
I sure hope they don't delete characters. I'm concerned because Diablo 3 doesn't have a persistent account cost like World of Warcraft that covers the overhead of maintaining characters on the server.

RMAH should serve that purpose. And WoW channeling money to D3 ofcourse, since it's the same company and all.
Community Manager
We have no current plans or functionality to expire or delete "inactive" characters. There's actually no concept of an inactive character for Diablo III. Pick up and play whenever you want.
Edited by Bashiok on 4/19/2012 11:18 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]