Diablo® III

ANOTHER prophecy?!?!

They were ok in warcraft.
They ruined SC2.
Now Cain talks about them in D3??

Seriously?? Cant stuff just HAPPEN on its own?
Reply Quote
It isn't a fantasy story without a good prophecy or two.

Seriously though, I cant think of one that doesn't have a prophecy. Even Harry Potter had one.
Reply Quote

Seriously though, I cant think of one that doesn't have a prophecy. Even Harry Potter had one.

- Aliens Franchise
- Predator Franchise
- Terminator Franchise
- Babylon 5
- SAAB
- Star Trek TNG, DS9
- Star Wars (Discounting the Prequels)
- Doctor Who (Has done perfectly fine without Prophecy since the 60's)
- Game of Thrones

All are critically acclaimed and did absolutely fine without having to rely on prophecy.
Reply Quote
The only fantasy series in your list, Game Of Thrones, does have prophecies.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
It's a game about angels and demons and a war of apocolyptic proportions, this is what prophesies were made for!

And you should check again. Doctor Who, Babylon 5, Star Wars (outside of the prequels), and even the terminator series have prophesies.

That said, Star Craft could have done without one. The heavier involved the supernatural is in something, the better suited the material is to cryptic messages about the future. In Star Craft, all they really needed was Kerrigan killing everyone and everything, and some reason to bring Tycus back.
Edited by Kveer#1526 on 4/21/2012 4:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Babylon 5 has prophecy. Not right out front at the beginning, but towards the end...it ties Babylon 5, those mind readers groups (especially that gifted mind reader lady), the other three major alien races...against those black shadowed aliens...During that there were was a prophecy of how thing were meant to be and etc...or something along that line.
Reply Quote

- Aliens Franchise
- Predator Franchise
- Terminator Franchise
- Babylon 5
- SAAB
- Star Trek TNG, DS9
- Game of Thrones

All are critically acclaimed and did absolutely fine without having to rely on prophecy.

-Star Wars: Jedi Order follows a prophecy (The Force = Said prophecy, I can get more in-depth if you'd like there are a couple more prophecies I could add. Anakin was said to be the force sensitive who would rise above and restore order and balance to the Force etc. etc.)
-Star Trek TNG: The Q continuum follows a prophecy if you think back to some discussions where Picard actually called out Q for them being in fear of the prophecy that humans will one day rise over even the Q and Q admits to it. We can also talk about The Traveler, and a few other characters of note.
-Terminator: Prophecy that Sean Connery would save the world? It's not called a prophecy specifically, but can be in terms of literature classified as one.
Reply Quote

- Aliens Franchise
- Predator Franchise
- Terminator Franchise
- Babylon 5
- SAAB
- Star Trek TNG, DS9
- Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones is the only valid one there and it does have prophecies, what were you thinking when you decided to make that list? honestly..
Reply Quote
Game of Thrones *does* technically have a prophecy, but it turns out to be false when the child is stillborn.

So, yes, I would argue that GoT doesn't have a prophecy.
Reply Quote
Game of Thrones *does* technically have a prophecy, but it turns out to be false when the child is stillborn.

I'm not sure if you have read further into the novels or just watched the TV series, but GoT indeed has several prophecies besides the one that you mentioned.
Edited by Squash#1786 on 4/23/2012 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Who said the D3 'prophecy' would be true?
Reply Quote

I'm not sure if you have read further into the novels or just watched the TV series, but GoT indeed has several prophecies besides the one that you mentioned.

I have read all of the books twice. The only other one I can think you could be referring to would be with "the Golden !@#$% and the Gypsy", but there is no evidence to say that is true or just superstition nonsense that is making her paranoid as all hell.
Reply Quote
95 Human Mage
They were ok in warcraft.
They ruined SC2.
Now Cain talks about them in D3??

Seriously?? Cant stuff just HAPPEN on its own?
What? D2 had prophecy all over the place. Did you miss all the in-game dialog, cinematics, and lore when you played it?

Heck, Cain goes so far as to say the only thing that wasn't prophecized was the destruction of the worldstone.

- Aliens Franchise
- Predator Franchise
- Terminator Franchise
- Babylon 5
- SAAB
- Star Trek TNG, DS9
- Game of Thrones

~ Terminator isn't prophecy in the classical sense, but it is allllll about facing a fore-known future which is essentially the same thing.
~ Star Trek occasionally touched upon the concept of prophecies in several of their stories.
~ DS9's Bajorians were alllll about prophecies (Hint, the name "Prophets" for the wormhole aliens was sort of a give-away there).
~ Star Wars, okay I'll agree to discount the Pre-Quels, but the concept of the force in the originals includes foresight and is not far off from the classical sense of prophets foretelling the future. It's practically the entire reason Luke went to the Cloud City.
~ Doctor Who on many occasions had prophecies in their stories both in the old and new series. Especially the last couple seasons is all about prophecised events. Simply put, you're going to have prophecy in any show that involves time travel.
Reply Quote
04/20/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Zergie
They ruined SC2.

How exactly did it ruin SC2?

Prophecies ramp up the thrilling feeling of yours because you know something isn't right and stuff is about to go down, it's getting tense, whereas in "stuff is happening on it's own" is sort of in your face completely unprepared which often can be a good thing too.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 03:30 PMPosted by TomCii
They ruined SC2.

Prophecies ramp up the thrilling feeling of yours because you know something isn't right and stuff is about to go down, it's getting tense, whereas in "stuff is happening on it's own" is sort of in your face completely unprepared which often can be a good thing too.

Prophecies in sci-fi stories suck.
Reply Quote
By definition, things can't happen on their own in a fictional story. Unless the story is written by manatees. Or dice rolls.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 03:30 PMPosted by TomCii
They ruined SC2.

The prophecy may or may not have ruined SC2, but the story WAS pathetic and cliché, especially compared to brood war. Prophecy in general is lazy storytelling, it's much more compelling when all the pieces make the conclusion inevitable, but you don't notice until it happens. That said, the prophecy wasn't as big a problem as the dark voice, a character that has too much power relative to it's motivation.
Reply Quote
I don't know if its the new lore writers or Metzen himself(probably) but the lore for the all 3 franchises seems to be getting worst.

Warcraft lore is a joke with Thrall story.
SC2 seems to be worst than the original even tho they introduce more lore into the game. Although I still believe its early to judge.
D3 having a prophecy also puts itself in the same category. They shouldn't have needed a prophecy to continue with the story in my opinion.

Luckily, The best thing about Blizzard is storytelling. They are great at it regardless of the story. This saves them a lot even if the stories were bad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]