Diablo® III

Open Beta Latency Review

(Locked)

WTF is wrong with you people i had 180-300ms and i could see lag issues everywhere!

- Jittery animations due to lag (extremely noticable on Demon Hunter)
- Attack animations out of sync with the attack damage source, removing the visceral feel of damage
- Being hit by monsters with melee attacks that i was not in range of

Those are my biggest issues.
I couldnt notice delay on my actions such as movement, but the clunkiness and jittering of animations as the client tried to catch up to the fast paced gameplay, and the bolts of my crossbow shooting out after the animation finished instead of the correct time was dissapointing. It felt like playing online street fighter with poor netcode against a Brazilian oponent.

TLDR
It feels like im playing d2 with a crappy US host at all times.
It wasnt even close to the feel of attacks d2 Local/singleplayer HAS.

Dissapointed with blizzard but they have always turned the cheek when it comes to Aus/NZ latency issues
Edited by grav1sh#1555 on 4/22/2012 5:31 PM PDT
Anyone with terrible lag happen to be on Adam Internet?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1904050

Seems to be a problem with the way the ISP prioritises gaming packets.
WTF is wrong with you people i had 180-300ms and i could see lag issues everywhere!

- Jittery animations due to lag (extremely noticable on Demon Hunter)
- Attack animations out of sync with the attack damage source, removing the visceral feel of damage
- Being hit by monsters with melee attacks that i was not in range of

Those are my biggest issues.
I couldnt notice delay on my actions such as movement, but the clunkiness and jittering of animations as the client tried to catch up to the fast paced gameplay, and the bolts of my crossbow shooting out after the animation finished instead of the correct time was dissapointing. It felt like playing online street fighter with poor netcode against a Brazilian oponent.

TLDR
It feels like im playing d2 with a crappy US host at all times.
It wasnt even close to the feel of attacks d2 Local/singleplayer HAS.

Dissapointed with blizzard but they have always turned the cheek when it comes to Aus/NZ latency issues

The monster hit from range is a design decision by Blizzard, not a latency issue. I know it can come across as confusing.
Lag is ok when your lag meter is green or that ugly yellowish colour i think that is between 200ms and 500ms anything over 500 ms seems to break the game badly.
Yep totally unplayable because of the lag really putting me off getting the game now since its so unreliable. Here is a video i just made showing how bad the latency really is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=252oEwK3g5c
I included some speedtest to show that my net is fully able to connect to LA, USA without any issues.
And yes Alex i am also with Adam internet :(
90 Goblin Warlock
Launceston, Tasmania here, with Netspace ADSL (not ADSL2+).

Get ~300ms lag, with the very occasional spike into orange territory, occasional rubberbanding, but nothing game breaking.

Overall very happy, much better than I thought.
72 Undead Rogue
I got barely any time into the Beta. Like a few hours. Mainly because I had to change my server region. What a jip. 15 gig of downloads for 3 hours play -_-
no lag here, 156-250 ping

seems like nz net > aus lol
If you all want a oceanic / australian based server, you're going the wrong way about it!

Come on guys, 10 years we been blizzard / bnet fans... throw us a bone!!

My best latency was 225ms, which is not to bad considering it's a US server, however it's a far cry from what US residents get, and certainly no where near LAN latency...

In single player mode it was more stable, though i still saw lag spikes as high as 1000 odd ms.. in which case everything appears to just freeze for a bit... in public it was much worse, lag spikes were more frequent and went as high as 1900ms..

This is from Brisbane, Australia, on a TPG adsl2+ connection @ 12mbit, with a Phenom 2 965, 8gb DDR3, ATI 5970 2gb gfx card, and SSD raid 0 array.

I understand the reasons why blizzard has made the decision to make it online only, though I am spewing hard because bnet from australia has always been pretty average for me, and so for the most part only played D2:LoD single or LAN. Same with the original starcraft, but if you're going to make it online only, and you recognize that europe and asia need their own servers, i don't see why you can't do the same 'down under'.

You have many loyal fans in australia, and new zealand that would benefit hugely from an 'oceanic' server, and I'm quite sure the amount of people that will buy this game from those area's will more than pay for it.

If you don't do this, what may happen is a lot of people may return it for refund because of constant lag spikes etc... nobody wants that! Please blizzard, you've given us an Australian rep... which to me is the first step in giving us a server... give that rep a reason for being there, and give us a server!!
Im with telstra (bigpond cable). Top download speed approx 4mb/s, upload is roughly 90kb/s. While playing beta I had just over 200ms ping most of the time. There were some occasions however where my ping was 180ms.

I did experience the "rubberband effect" (where my character was teleported back a location) on a few occasions. I noticed that it happened to occur more when I was playing in a multiplayer game. On single player mode, it only happened when I was returning the crown for the blacksmith.

I played the barbarian.

I would say single player is alright, but in hell/inferno mode with friends, we will need to be a bit more alert and play more safely than our american friends.
If we're going to do a review at least run ping test to California so we can get an idea how your ISP is performing at the time, compared to your performance in game.

Here is the ping test you requested.
Same location in Melbourne, Australia to San Francisco, United States.

Telstra 3G 326ms
http://www.pingtest.net/result/61590615.png

Telstra 4G 295ms
http://www.pingtest.net/result/61590795.png

I did test with Vodafone 3G and Virgin Mobile 3G in same location and it was playable on Open Beta. Given it is wireless internet, it is always improved further when it is tested at 1:00AM in the morning. Wireless results do and will vary. I am 6km from the 4G tower using an external antenna.

Planning to play Diablo 3 on Telstra 4G from Melbourne Australia. I took a Wizard and a Barbarian to Level 13 in the Open Beta, I do think the full release of the game will be playable on normal.
Edited by oblivion#1637 on 4/24/2012 8:15 PM PDT
I ran the same test just to see how it would do...

http://www.pingtest.net/result/61607741.png

comes up 216ms..

I think I could live with it if that's what it did consistently.. but yeah, being fine for awhile and then suddenly 800-1000ms ping in a single player game, and then up to 1900ms in a multiplayer game is really not cool!

I want to play this with my gf here, and we'd just do it via LAN if it had that, as we did with D2:LoD, but obviously that's not an options for D3, but I'm really wondering how its going to handle things if I am running 2 copies from 2 pc's on the 1 connection, to bnet / d3 servers, if i've got spikes so high just from 1 connection :\

I understand why it was made online only, but i think if you're going to force us to play online only, you should give us a server so that we can at least get a decent gaming experience.
Edited by BLaCkRaIn#1666 on 4/25/2012 3:37 AM PDT
Bit of an update to the post I made during open beta -

I was very concerned prior to beta regarding lag in single player. I don't really care about lag in multi-player because, to be frank, we've always had latency issues and they are not ever going to change. It's basically just a matter of geography.

But lag in a single player game is just unacceptable. It would have been especially intolerable considering it would be unnecessary lag, forced upon us due to Blizzard's chosen means of DRM - the always online requirement.

I'm happy to say that post beta, I'm no longer concerned.

I was on Telstra in Sydney and average lag was 170-180. It would occasionally run at 200 for fairly long periods, but would settle down after awhile.

There was occasional rubber-banding, but I'd say that the number of incidences could be counted on one hand.

No noticeable lag between skill activation and effect. In fact, when playing the monk and using Lashing Tail Kick, the damage effect seemed to be applied at the start of the animation, leading to the impression that the effect was instantaneous.

I also tried multi-player and was quite impressed. There was minimal skipping of other player positions. Skill activation/effect time was still decent. All in all, multiplayer ran far more smoothly than D2 multiplayer did back in the day.

In summary - I'm a happy camper. The beta has alleviated my fears about whether the game was going to be playable.

One last thing, I've noticed quite a few posts on this forums along the lines of this one:

Can't believe the positive feedback on such an obvious flaw in the game design. I'm starting to thin that a lot of these posts are Blizz employees or F&F. I'm sorry but the game is unplayable due to the lag in every facet of the game.

To which I can only say...the game isn't unplayable. Your game, is unplayable. My game was perfectly acceptable. And that's quite a sense of paranoia you have there. BUT...I don't begrudge such opinions, because if I had the same issues, I'd be raging too.
BUT...I don't begrudge such opinions, because if I had the same issues, I'd be raging too.

such a really good post you just made. I agree with your quote. I don't work for Blizzard and if I really did have an issue I would say that. I played over 20 hours on the beta version of the game so I have had a good chance to test it. there is some very slick programming behind this game however and I really did notice it. it is good to see I am not the only one who actually had a good experience with the beta version. hopefully the full release of the game will be improved for us all.
Edited by oblivion#1637 on 4/25/2012 6:02 AM PDT
I didn't receive any lag whatsoever.
My ping was a steady 200 or 260 the entire time.
And thats on Optus DSl2+ in rural victoria.
90 Night Elf Druid
Playing from Adelaide on an i7-2600k, 8gig RAM and Geforce 590GTX I would drift between low 200s to mid 300s. Despite that the only time I encountered actual lag is during a single player game after I had unpaused it where my character would often be jumped back a few steps. After that slight stutter though, everything would be fine.

I presume after you unpause in a single player game the server syncs back up with the game or something.
Had a constant 260ms with aaNet adsl2+ . didnt have any lag what so ever.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]