Diablo® III

Open Beta Latency Review

(Locked)

Ping 200-220 Problems:
  • Arrows being shot after enemies already hit or still in the air when enemy has already been hit.
  • Being hit when I was NEVER in range.
  • Spells hitting enemies before animation or effects are shot off.
  • Minor Rubber banding. ie short distance and not often

Multiple was basically the same problems x2.

Ping 400+ Problems (happened on the Sunday of the open beta/heavy multiplayer action any day):
  • Major Rubber banding
  • Spell animations not even shown because they were so far off timing when repeatedly used.

PC Spec:
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K OC'd
Motherboard
Asus P8Z68-V PRO-GEN4 MB
Memory
G.Skill 8GB Kit
Hard Disk
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3
Case
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Black Case
Power Supply
Antec TPQ-1200 1200W TruePower Quattro
GPU:
2x Raedon 6970s
Internet:
Premium Speed Optus Cable.

Other recent single player experiences:
BF3: Ping 0; settings highest
Deus X - Human Rev: Ping 0; settings highest
Skyrim: Ping 0; settings highest
The Witcher 2: Ping 0; settings highest

Other recent muliplayer experiences:
BF3: Ping 10-80ms; settings highest - No probs (other than hackers :S)
CS:S: Ping 10-40ms; settings highest - No probs (other than hackers :S)
Dungeon Defenders: Ping 10-100ms; settings highest - No probs
L4D2: Ping 10-80ms; settings highest - No probs
TF2: Ping 10-80ms; settings highest - No probs
Borderlands: Ping 0ms (LAN); settings highest - No probs

I believe the last game that I played that was online and I was used US servers would be WOW (6 years ago?) - Anyway that was around 200ms and probably more playable than D3. I guess because it was not as fast.

Mechwarrior 4 - Mercs (10years ago). I played this on US servers because the player base was more vast. 200ms pings, Pretty stable, fast mechs were a bit of an issue minor rubber banding.
82 Orc Rogue
It would be a vast improvement if they simply installed a server or two in Australia and New Zealand.
Edited by Horc on 4/27/2012 2:14 AM PDT
04/27/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Horc
It would be a vast improvement if they simply installed a server or two in Australia and New Zealand.

Yeah the difference is latency is huge, as is reliability.
around 200-250 from Canberra - iPrimus

Not an issue at all for playing PvE in easy difficulties... on inferno maybe not quite...

For PvP I'm sure the lag will get in the way of being competitively good - but since there's no rewards for being good, it really doesn't matter ;)
I am hoping that Blizzard will pay attention to these issues. The player base can not grow in this region if the game latency doesn't improve.

Blizzard can't expect us to encourage others to begin playing or continue playing if these issues are not taken seriously.

Throw us a bone Blizzard, use your representatives in this region to start negotiating with data centers and show us some 'love' with a local server or two.
Especially since Australia is currently having the NBN (national broadband network) rolled out nationwide - which will give our country some of the fastest speeds available to anyone in the world.

It will be great having those epic connections yet still have a diminished gaming experience due to lack of close servers....
Honestly anyone saying that "it's fine as is" or "we don't need local servers" are not playing to full potential and are limiting their scope of comparison to just what the beta provides.

Anything in Diablo 3 that you have to REACT to your at an immediate disadvantage due to ping. This might be inconsequential on normal mode cause even a 5 year old could play through the beta randomly clicking stuff and succeed. I'd imagine that entire game at normal mode will be very, very easy to any experienced gamer.

This all changes in inferno, from what blizzard have said it will be ball busting difficult. Now all of a sudden dodging those arrows getting away from that explosion makes a massive difference to my survivability BUT I'm at such a huge disadvantage as my ping is at the best 200ms.

With the introduction of local SWTOR server from EA, there is just no reason blizzard can't provide local servers for all their current and future online games. Heck it'd justify why we pay an extra $20 if we had local servers.

PS

Why is this even a sticky? Is it because it's a positive review?
Edited by Denthor#1912 on 4/30/2012 5:55 PM PDT
04/30/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Denthor
Why is this even a sticky? Is it because it's a positive review?

i wondered the same exact thing >.>
Really the people from ANZ who have been in the Closed Beta from the beginning really did us a massive disservice by failing to recognise the lag problems.

It's a bit of "YAY IM IN THE BETA!! OMG EVERYTHING IS GREAT"
Give us our own server dammit Bliz
It's all depend on where your signal tower locatted, if you far away from it, you will get laggggg around 300-2000ms , the area that im living in melbourne ,is around clayton south, here are no ADSL2+ support, im using adsl 1 , still have 380ms ping, still pretty good smooth gaming experience, but when join public with 3 fxcking witch doctor throwing the spider bottle in the game, fxxking lag........ now i hate being play with witch doctor ,cos they're turely the lagggggg creator..!#!@$!%
Honestly anyone saying that "it's fine as is" or "we don't need local servers" are not playing to full potential and are limiting their scope of comparison to just what the beta provides.Anything in Diablo 3 that you have to REACT to your at an immediate disadvantage due to ping. This might be inconsequential on normal mode cause even a 5 year old could play through the beta randomly clicking stuff and succeed. I'd imagine that entire game at normal mode will be very, very easy to any experienced gamer.This all changes in inferno, from what blizzard have said it will be ball busting difficult. Now all of a sudden dodging those arrows getting away from that explosion makes a massive difference to my survivability BUT I'm at such a huge disadvantage as my ping is at the best 200ms.With the introduction of local SWTOR server from EA, there is just no reason blizzard can't provide local servers for all their current and future online games. Heck it'd justify why we pay an extra $20 if we had local servers.PSWhy is this even a sticky? Is it because it's a positive review?

wake up mate.. the population in ANZ ,do you know how many??and the number of people who will play D3?, , the blizz said , "this will provide a wider pool for player to trading and gaming " more player it means more rear gear to find in aution house..

if you sick of you internet, then move your house to somewhere close to the signal tower, or wait for the NBN .co roll out to your place. there is not much we can do , the AUS network was the world worth you should know it.
Edited by ArC#1840 on 5/2/2012 8:42 PM PDT
wake up mate.. the population in ANZ ,do you know how many??and the number of people who will play D3?, , the blizz said , "this will provide a wider pool for player to trading and gaming " more player it means more rear gear to find in aution house..

if you sick of you internet, then move your house to somewhere close to the signal tower, or wait for the NBN .co roll out to your place. there is not much we can do , the AUS network was the world worth you should know it.

What is this I don't even.
lol just smile and nod.
He/she increases the number of aussie players by 1 and that brings us closer to having our own server (I probably should say a server physically located in Australia, fingers crossed).
I cant ever see blizzard putting servers in aus unfortunately :(
05/08/2012 06:46 PMPosted by iinsoM
I cant ever see blizzard putting servers in aus unfortunately :(

Yet EA can? Blizzard/Activision will have to put local servers in at some stage - it's inevitable. Imagine a FPS mmo for eg (it will happen).
Ping from 250+ to 1000+ occasionally. The rubberband effect pop up from from time to time, sometimes can be reset with opening town portal & return.

Can only pray that teammate is helping to clean the area ;( This is bad.
90 Undead Warlock
between 170-200 from NZ - didn't find any noticable issues.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]