Diablo® III

Why was Cain not killed in Diablo 2?

I made an attempt to search for this question before making the topic but there was just 200+ pages of "Cain's real identity" "Cain is the uncle" "CAin is evil" "cain is good" ect ect.

Basically Why was Cain the only one in Tristram that wasn't killed? Why would some mindless demons decide to string this one old man up in a cage?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Maybe the Horadrim had some forethought (doubtedly), and something he's wearing makes it harder for weaker demons to directly harm (kill) him. So instead, they strung him up and reveled in torturing him psychologically with the brutal murder and dismemberment of his fellow Tristinians.

As the Horadrim were supposedly skilled in the arts of magic, I figure at least one of them could enchant insidiarum scutum onto something easy to carry around.
Reply Quote
Maybe the Horadrim had some forethought (doubtedly), and something he's wearing makes it harder for weaker demons to directly harm (kill) him. So instead, they strung him up and reveled in torturing him psychologically with the brutal murder and dismemberment of his fellow Tristinians.

As the Horadrim were supposedly skilled in the arts of magic, I figure at least one of them could enchant insidiarum scutum onto something easy to carry around.

As I made this topic I started reading the Book of Cain and just now finished it.

So I'm leaning towards that you're right and they were really into the torture of Cain
Reply Quote
Couldn't it be a hostage situation?
Reply Quote
There is no 'real answer' to this question, I think. The most one can surmise is that there are a variety of demons who relish in the torture of a live victim rather than simply killing them.

Case in point: Diablo himself. He feeds off the fear of his victims. Killing them would technically end any generation of that fear.
Reply Quote
I think Cain was not killed because he is VERY valuable. The horadrim were involved in originally capturing the prime evils. If Diablo could get that information it would be much easier for him to avoid being captured again. Also, being the last horadrim he is one of the few people who know anything about the black soulstone, which is much sought after info. If they were to have killed him all the knowledge that would be helpful for Diablo would have been lost forever.
Reply Quote
I think its a plot armor issue, which is fine, its later justified in the Book of Cain as torture that still haunts him.
Reply Quote
Agree that he was too valuable. Anyone with ties to the angels (ala horadrim) wouldn't be outright killed but tortured even after they spilled everything.
Reply Quote
Weren't they trying to get info out of Cain....such as the locations of the remaining Horadrim?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
He's the last horadrim, the ancient order that originally imprisoned all of the prime evils. You'd think Diablo would hold a grudge. Killing him would have been too quick.
Reply Quote
The better question would be How did he survive the fallen star ? That is more of a mystery for me than what happened in Tristram in D2.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Jhonus
He's the last horadrim, the ancient order that originally imprisoned all of the prime evils. You'd think Diablo would hold a grudge. Killing him would have been too quick.

Actually, Diablo and co would love them, since they did fell for their plan from the very begining.
Remember that up till now, even what seemed to be our victories have actually been defeats.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
Or..... Cain is Leah's uncle, therefore , Adria's brother. Or some other secret relation......See the thread "leah theory"
Reply Quote
I don't see how him being her brother would have anything to do with why he survived. Also i know he isn't her real uncle, and if he really is than it is not pertinent at all. Furthermore, being her uncle could mean that he is actually Aiden's brother which would have more significance, considering his family does not have a good reputation with Diablo. Aiden was possessed, his little baby brother was used as a demonic host, and his dad was the skeleton king.

If he is actually Aiden's secret brother or something then it could foreshadow his possession and demise. I think this is extremely unlikely.

I think it is very possible that Cain will sacrifice himself for the good of the world. He says he knows that he is going to die shortly, coincidentally with the start of the apocalypse. Being the last horadrim, and the only character from all three games, i think he will be honored by being a martyr to stop Diablo or something of that nature.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]