Diablo® III

Barbarian vs Monk

85 Human Death Knight
I have been a Barbarian player since Diablo II, and i am extremely impressed with the changes they made to barbarians since the #1 reason why barbarians sucked in pvp was because we could never catch up to the ranged classes, now that i can hurl a weapon to slow ranged people, i now feel more confident in playing one of my favorite classes.

I tried the Monk, and found that he was like a paladin (mantras being their auras), but still more of their own class. The monk dashes around and deals some decent AOE melee quite quickly.

Which class do you think is better and why.
Reply Quote
The monk seems to be way too much flash, not nearly enough actual substance.

comparing the monk to the barbarian is just like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4al1d9Re4

While the monk's trying to act flashy and prance around, the barbarian is just beating the monsters to death with the nitty gritty. When i was playing the monk i kept thinking "Man, i could have done this way faster with my barb".

Not to mention i felt alot safer on my barb than my monk. Sure, the monk's got dodge chance; but that dodge is Up to the whims of the random number god: If he frowns on you, you go down like a chump, while the Armor % decrease is guaranteed.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/barbarian/active/
Reply Quote
81 Human Paladin
...Not to mention i felt alot safer on my barb than my monk. Sure, the monk's got dodge chance; but that dodge is Up to the whims of the random number god: If he frowns on you, you go down like a chump, while the Armor % decrease is guaranteed...

While I only have Beta to speak from at this point, I have to agree. While I never died with the Monk, there were times I would be fighting more than one non-standard/non-minion mob...and I would get a little worried that the "Dodge gods" would find disfavor with me, and allow me to get smeared. When playing the Barb, I did feel alot safer wading through group after group of mobs. In fact, I found myself LEAPing into mobs to generate Fury, then using CLEAVE or REND (with the Ravage Rune) and watch them all (including tough mobs) drop like flies. During all this mayhem, my Barb would take far less damage.

While I played all five classes during Beta, I am left with this one thought:
"Barbarians...Don't Leave Home Without Them!"
Edited by Thorn#1365 on 4/23/2012 4:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Right now, barbs are definitely superior soloers IMHO. Monks are going to be better for organized groups(i.e. those that stay together) merely because of their mantras.

Both classes are mobile. Both classes are tanky. It's interesting to note that monks seem to have more defensive oriented passives, while the barbs seem to be more offensively oriented. Both have some of each category, but each definitely seems to lean in those directions.

PvP is gonna be a toss up, in a lot of ways. It may even come down to who gets their combo going first. Even more of it comes down to how they handle crowd control. If either class can just chain their knockbacks, knockups and stuns it's literally going to come down to who can hit theirs first. Even being a huge monk fan, I gotta give the edge to the barbs though.

As far as the people talking about Str versus Dex, Monks get a passive that allows them to get the best of both worlds. It allows them to get armor equal to their Dex... it's called Seize the Initiative and it's seems like one of those 'too good to pass up' passives for a monk. So really, once that becomes available that's literally a big advantage to the monk side.

Too bad barbs can't get an equal amount of dodge, similarly. ;p
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
At higher levels, stats are going to be in very BIG numbers. Babarian's nerves of steel and Monk's sieze the initiative are passive skills that scale with gear unlike other passive skills. I believe they will become a necessity at the higher levels.

Babarian's primary stat is strength and secondary stat is vitality
Monk's primary stat is dexterity and secondary stat is vitality

Now this is where Monks will outshine Barbarians in terms of survivability. With sieze the initiative, Monks only need to stack their primary stat, dexterity, to gain increases in damage, damage reduction and damage avoidance. Of course they will still need a comfortable amount of vitality. Monks who stack dexterity will not only dish out high dps, but will be able to absorb and avoid damage very well.

For barbarians, they will have to focus on balancing strength with vitality so as to gain the benefit of nerves of steel.
Reply Quote
At higher levels, stats are going to be in very BIG numbers. Babarian's nerves of steel and Monk's sieze the initiative are passive skills that scale with gear unlike other passive skills. I believe they will become a necessity at the higher levels.

Now this is where Monks will outshine Barbarians in terms of survivability. With sieze the initiative, Monks only need to stack their primary stat, dexterity, to gain increases in damage, damage reduction and damage avoidance. Of course they will still need a comfortable amount of vitality. Monks who stack dexterity will not only dish out high dps, but will be able to absorb and avoid damage very well.

For barbarians, they will have to focus on balancing strength with vitality so as to gain the benefit of nerves of steel.

Nice necro!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I totally agree with Gisele on the stats phasing into monks very well but another thing i might add is those killer group buffs the Monk puts out as opposed to the Barb which really only has one, Warcry. The Monks has an assortment of mantras that can be used for every situation be it healing or reflecting damage so i think the monk will be an awesome team player.
Reply Quote
You have a TON of health leeching abilities with Barb though. I'm working on a leech build for endgame that should have some insane survivability. Take Overpower with Revel for the 8% max health off each enemy. Add in Ground Stomp with Wrenching Smash or Leap with Call of Arreat and you can continually just suck large groups of enemies into you and then follow up with an Overpower to max heal yourself. While the monk has some nice healing abilities, I've always felt Life Leech was a superior and more reliable mechanic than other heals in Diablo 2 (Prayer/Potions).
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter

Sieze the initiative & nerves of steal aren't going to be required...because the bonus is just too low (imo at least).

End game, for someone that is stacking survivability, you're looking at 13k+ armor.
StI & NoS are both going to give you around 1-1.5k...which is like a 10-12% boost. Not bad, but Tough as Nails grants +25% armor (which is more btw).

At 60, StI & NoS will be equal to Tough as Nails provided you have absolutely zero +armor affixes, if you are stacking armor Tough as Nails will be better (it only requires between 4-6k armor for TaN to grant more armor than StI or NoS can)
Reply Quote

Sieze the initiative & nerves of steal aren't going to be required...because the bonus is just too low (imo at least).

End game, for someone that is stacking survivability, you're looking at 13k+ armor.
StI & NoS are both going to give you around 1-1.5k...which is like a 10-12% boost. Not bad, but Tough as Nails grants +25% armor (which is more btw).

At 60, StI & NoS will be equal to Tough as Nails provided you have absolutely zero +armor affixes, if you are stacking armor Tough as Nails will be better (it only requires between 4-6k armor for TaN to grant more armor than StI or NoS can)

That's interesting. From I can see of high end gear and gems, main stats(Dex for monks, Str for Barbs) are going to be approaching 2k... even if NoS isn't going to be required for barbs because of TaN, StI will still be for monks... because a roughly 12 to 15% increase is still gonna be a lot of mitigation... that being said, why wouldn;t a barb just take BOTH NoS and TaN?

There's not going to be any such thing a too much defense, really, though I guess diminishing returns/soft caps will make past a certain point of one specific defense type untenable.

We can start figuring it out in about 10 more hours.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]